Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range mode for Long Range X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Much of what I have read about range mode in Tesla and the model X seems to be that it doesn’t quite add much in terms of efficiency, just changes some how car ac functions and motors work. Does anyone know if range mode is any more useful or efficient in the newer Long Range?

Hi,

Much of what I have read about range mode in Tesla and the model X seems to be that it doesn’t quite add much in terms of efficiency, just changes some how car ac functions and motors work. Does anyone know if range mode is any more useful or efficient in the newer Long Range?

I think that's quite a useful question. I have read of early cars using range mode to change charging behavior (indirectly) through battery heating control. But rarely if ever have I heard of simple case where range mode gives unequivocal range benefit.

The answer may be obscured by the weather conditions and driving style.

But either way it would be good to have clearer picture of how range mode actually changes range (or maybe more specifically efficiency) of newer vs earlier models.

I have it on 100% of the time.

AC has been fine.

One thing I like is it does not do battery warming in the winter on my short commute when I have it on. It does not pay to warm battery, especially on short commute.

After 10K miles I’m getting about 280 wh/mi summer and 320 wh/mi winter. That’s with some towing. And 20” wheels. Pretty happy with efficiency.