Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2020 performance - change wheels and range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, I wanna buy either a Model X 2020 long range or performance.

Range is very important for me. Is it possible to change the 22" tyres to 20" in this model (I've heard that in model 3 performance it doesn't fit, not working)?

If yes, what do u think, the decreased range at performance is because mainly the bigger wheels?

So imagine a test: both cars in chill mode, 20" wheels, will be any big differences in the range between Long Range and performance?

The Model X has always come with 20" wheels standard, 22" as an option (at least in the US). I would stick to OEM wheels if you're switching them out, that way you won't run into any fitment or axle weight issues.

You will average around 15% better range with the 20" wheels. At highway speeds it's closer to 20-30% better range in my experience. Your ride will improve as well. Its actually mainly the rolling resistance of the larger tires that decreases the range. I switched out my 22" Onyx wheels with the 20" Cyberstream wheels (from the refreshed models)

There are many threads on this subject, just do some searching

The Model X has always come with 20" wheels standard, 22" as an option (at least in the US). I would stick to OEM wheels if you're switching them out, that way you won't run into any fitment or axle weight issues.

You will average around 15% better range with the 20" wheels. At highway speeds it's closer to 20-30% better range in my experience. Your ride will improve as well. Its actually mainly the rolling resistance of the larger tires that decreases the range. I switched out my 22" Onyx wheels with the 20" Cyberstream wheels (from the refreshed models)

There are many threads on this subject, just do some searching
Have any photos? How's the front offset? I've been waiting for some takeoff Cyberstreams to come up local, as quickly as I go t hrough tires I might as well see if I can get a decent set of takeoff tires with wheels included!

Offset works perfectly! I researched quite a few threads here and on reddit to make sure it wouldn't be an issue. Very happy with them as I'm regularly using 20%+ less energy on drives, but I still miss the look of the Onyx 22s!

You should post a WTB in the for sale section of the site and see if there's anyone willing to make the trade. I ended up buying a new take-off set from a local wheel shop, just before someone local hit me up for a trade.

Photos taken right before tint and chrome delete

Attachments

• IMG_1501.jpeg
    IMG_1501.jpeg
    477.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1503.jpeg
    IMG_1503.jpeg
    487.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1504.jpeg
    IMG_1504.jpeg
    443.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1499.jpeg
    IMG_1499.jpeg
    551.3 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: Richbot
Offset works perfectly! I researched quite a few threads here and on reddit to make sure it wouldn't be an issue. Very happy with them as I'm regularly using 20%+ less energy on drives, but I still miss the look of the Onyx 22s!

You should post a WTB in the for sale section of the site and see if there's anyone willing to make the trade. I ended up buying a new take-off set from a local wheel shop, just before someone local hit me up for a trade.

Looks awesome. Mines white and I too have my chrome wrapped and front windows tinted, and my car is the slow one but otherwise that’s exactly how it would look on mine. I really can’t justify the swap unless it comes with new-ish tires, because I’m already on slipstreams

Make sure about your stud spacing and the appropriate models that have the same before you buy - the S and the X are the same platform, BUT the wheel spacing was changed for the refresh and plaid versions. Not sure what they are now.

For the older X and S, it is 5x120 and you can see the backspacing and stud numbers on Tsportline’s site at least.

I went down to a set of 19” wheels from my S for a recent trip - b/c those had the best tires on them at the time - and they ran great. I will probably go with those rims again when I need the next set of tires, but with a taller sidewall for comfort and to put the outer diameter back to the stock (29.5) size. Narrower and taller = better range and less resistance, better ride at the slight expense of handling at the edges of grip. If you don’t auto cross, that shouldn’t be an issue.

The MAIN things to look at are rolling resistance (width of the tire affects this) and revs per mile (affects range but also speedo accuracy) and WHEEL WEIGHT. Heavy tires and wheels cost more electrons to get them moving!

2020 build MX range was 341 MXP and 364 MXLR iirc. I have this same MXP with 22“ stock Pirellis in summer, 20” Nokians for winter and my undocumented feeling is the range is about the same. In the spring and fall when I change over I don’t notice much difference anyway.
IME your driving habits and routes have the most impact on your range, and I have never missed the “23 extra miles” I would have had with an LR.

refreshed wheels look really good... only thing is those are wider and heavier rims... cannot use narrow tires...

the 20" slipstreams are 30lbs... at 9" width they are very light and good wheels to have...

The refresh 20’s use the same tire as the Slipstream 20’s. Where are you seeing the weight on the cyberstreams? I looked at TSportline’s wheel guide and they think the weight is the same. The rear cyberstream is wider at 10” instead of 9.5 but the front is still a 9” wheel according to Tesla EPC

The refresh 20’s use the same tire as the Slipstream 20’s. Where are you seeing the weight on the cyberstreams? I looked at TSportline’s wheel guide and they think the weight is the same. The rear cyberstream is wider at 10” instead of 9.5 but the front is still a 9” wheel according to Tesla EPC

my bad, they are same weight... i was thinking 19' slipstream

cyberstream looks so good...