Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range mode is "sticky"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggr

Expert in Dunning-Kruger Effect!
Mar 24, 2011
San Diego, CA
Referral Code
Yesterday I charged in Range mode, drove around, came home, and plugged it in. I assumed that, like the Roadster, it would reset to standard mode. But it didn't! It charged again in range mode. I'm pretty sure the only other time I charged in range mode, it did reset itself. The only thing I think I did differently this time was that while I was still in the car, I popped both the trunk and the charge port door. When I just went to turn off range mode, there was a pop-up warning me about too much use of range mode, and did I want to switch back to standard, but this was *after* it was done charging!

Weird corner conditions in the software, I guess.

Yesterday I charged in Range mode, drove around, came home, and plugged it in. I assumed that, like the Roadster, it would reset to standard mode. But it didn't! It charged again in range mode. I'm pretty sure the only other time I charged in range mode, it did reset itself. The only thing I think I did differently this time was that while I was still in the car, I popped both the trunk and the charge port door. When I just went to turn off range mode, there was a pop-up warning me about too much use of range mode, and did I want to switch back to standard, but this was *after* it was done charging!

The Rav4 EV does this also. I think it is a mistake!!

funny, I just discovered this error today as well - range charged yesterday in Model S, came back and plugged it in assuming it would revert to standard, but it didn't. Should be an easy fix.

Yes, it's sticky. I did ask ownership about that... but in the meantime, I noticed if you do it ~3+ times in a row, you'll get a message on the screen reminding you you're in range mode and asks if you want to shut it off.