Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range reduced dramatically in heavy rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife charged the Y at a supercharger to 70% yesterday on her way home from Dallas to our home in East Texas, which is a 120 mile drive.
She normally makes it home with 20% SOC.
About 20 miles into her drive she hit heavy rain which continued all the way home. She made it with 3% SOC.
So now we have to factor in rain on a trip and charge accordingly.

HELL YESSSSS. We take 3 or 4 long road trips from southern IL to southern MD yearly via I-64 and have encountered HEAVY RAIN transversing the Appalachian Mountains two of those trips occur between Nov and Feb so temps are COLD as well (any forecasted snow we stay home). So we get the DAILY DOUBLE. I've seen our wh/mi JUMP from the low 300s to OVER 400. Luckily there are plenty of SuperChargers along the way. And we always start off OVER CHARGED and ignore Tesla's You Can Depart now predictions. W

Reactions: Dennisis
My wife charged the Y at a supercharger to 70% yesterday on her way home from Dallas to our home in East Texas, which is a 120 mile drive.
She normally makes it home with 20% SOC.
About 20 miles into her drive she hit heavy rain which continued all the way home. She made it with 3% SOC.
So now we have to factor in rain on a trip and charge accordingly.
Just rain? Any wind?

Heavy rain will definitely increase consumption.

Not sure what ABRP thinks happens, but you can set it to Heavy Rain and see.

An analogy to consider is that of ships navigating the ocean. Their engines are massive in order to overcome the drag they encounter. If there were no drag in the ocean, ships could potentially move at incredible speeds given the torque they possess.

Reactions: GWord
Thanks for the replies.

What was alarming is Tesla app didn't know about the rain so was saying 50% SOC would have gotten my wife home. Thankfully she charged 70% or would have been left stranded on the side of the road.
In the future we will have to look at the forecast on trips.

Reactions: electricar
Since the very beginning, there have been lots of posts showing how heavy rain, or water on the road will decrease range.

As you drive, your computer will let you know how your range is decreasing, and recommend earlier charging stops.

Headwinds, elevation changes, speed, towing, heavy loads, extreme heat or cold will also show up as decreasing range.

Reactions: Dennisis
I-30 to Little Rock
I-40 to Memphis
Hwy 72 to Huntsville
Just at a quick glance the hard part looks to be Hwy 72 from Memphis to Huntsville. You could take I-22 from Memphis to Guin, AL and charge up there and make it to Huntsville in one go. Plenty of superchargers up to that point and it's only 110 miles from Guin to Huntsville. It's not as direct as Hwy 72, but it's not crazy out of the way either.

Headwinds, elevation changes, speed, towing, heavy loads, extreme heat or cold will also show up as decreasing range.
Planning and experience will help you overcome all these issues. Sign up for PlugShare and scope out alternative charging spots if you have long Supercharger gaps you're concerned with or if all the elements conspire against you. I've been taking long trips out west for 4 years now (just returned from a 3800 miles Yellowstone and Denver trip) and have never been stranded. Normal drives like your 120 stretch are easy to deal with, enjoy!
Edit: I should add, ensure you use the Nav so the car knows where you're going! It will then tell you to charge earlier or slow down to a certain speed so you make it to your destination if you're using more energy than planned. If you don't enter a destination it can't help ensure you get there!

Last edited:
Just at a quick glance the hard part looks to be Hwy 72 from Memphis to Huntsville. You could take I-22 from Memphis to Guin, AL and charge up there and make it to Huntsville in one go. Plenty of superchargers up to that point and it's only 110 miles from Guin to Huntsville. It's not as direct as Hwy 72, but it's not crazy out of the way either.

Returned from our trip last Saturday. I did drive our Tesla Y. No issues with charging. No range anxiety. Weather was good the entire way.

~$50 to charge to our destination
~$60 to charge while running around destination for a week and then going from Huntsville to Birmingham.
~$50 to charge returning from Birmingham, Al to Texarkana, Tx.