Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range, Speed, and Temperature vs. Road Trip Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took a little road trip and was surprised again at needing more charging than I thought. I assumed speed, temperature, weather, and road conditions had negative effects on planning a trip but was still surprised. Fortunately just found this video

which includes a chart for the S (I have a 3) that shows about a 25% loss in range by driving 65mph compared to 35mph at a temperature of 50-68F. This explains why my planned trip had to include three full supercharges rather than two! Since road trips usually include freeway driving, and there was rain, I ran short and had to re-route.

First, does anyone this these charts for the Model 3?
Second, does anyone have data on wind and rain effects?
Charging is not a big deal compared to all the advantages of a Tesla, but trip planning can't be done just using the "325 mi" max range numbers of course. Help with some data would be nice.

Make a habit of running your trips through A Better Routeplanner before hitting the road. You can adjust the settings for travel speed, wind and weather. For wind and weather information, I'll use www.windy.com to see what's in the forecast along my route. ABRP will provide you with a much more time-efficient trip than the car's navigation system, which tends to err on the side of fewer, longer stops.

A Better Routeplanner looks very cool, but when I added heavy rain and 15mph wind there was no change in the time or charging. It tells me I would have 30% remaining but I had 10%. There may be no adjustment for speed after all.

Did you recalculate the plan (click PLAN ROUTE) after making those changes or view the previously calculated plan (click SHOW PLAN). It won't revise the numbers unless you re-plan the route after making changes.

We did a 2,800-mile trip and at one point encountered a headwind along the way. Usual speed was 80 MPH. I was surprised when a message popped up on the screen saying "Stay below 70 to reach your destination (next SC). A bit later it said "Stay below 65 to reach... Point being the car knows how much charge remains, how far it needs to go, and how far it's getting per Kwh - and informing you of the position you're in. Because of that, we elected to hit a closer SC.
I was surprised and very pleased to know the car is constantly monitoring and re-evaluating its operational environment. My M3 Rocks!

My other car is a '66 high-performance Mustang that I personally restored with blood and treasure. I don't even want to drive it anymore.
I never saw that coming.

Would these numbers also apply to the Model 3 or is the battery system significantly different? (it is different chemistry)

BTW, you give different battery kWh vs. miles but if you plot them they represent 50% margin not 67%. What is the difference, weather?

I am assuming that you list + percentages as lower mileage and - percentages as higher mileage. So at 45mph you get "-26%" which actually means 26% higher mileage than at 60mph??

Last edited:
ABRP definitely varies the route plan/time with varying speed/temp/road conditions/headwind:
1) Don't use the browser back arrow to navigate from route plan back to settings screen, use the back arrow at the top of the ABRP page itself
2) After clicking on "Plan Route", make sure the "pulsing sentry" icon at the bottom of the page is animated and pulsing while its figuring out the new route
3) May be a browser cache issue? Try <cntl>F5 refresh in win (or reset Safari setting is OSX).
4) Try another browser? I have found MS Edge notorious for these kinds of issues.