Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a refreshed 2017 75D with smart air suspension and only 2K miles. I recently notice some strange noise coming from the front suspension. The noise (which like clink-clunk/click-clunk, like something is loose) is most noticeable when I slowly going over speed bumps. I took the car to the service center in Costa Mesa, CA to have it looked at. I did a ride along with a technician and was able to easily reproduce the noise. I left the car at the service center (SC) for them to further investigate.

Later that day i received a call from SC informing me that what I'm hearing is a known issue specific to dual motor with smart air suspension. The problem comes from the front struts. They said other customers have brought up the same issue in the past, they replaced the struts and the problem comes back a couple of weeks later. They said Tesla engineer are aware of the issue, but no ETA on when/if a fix will be available.

Was wondering if any one else are experiencing this and have gotten some explanation/fix for the issue.
I have heard one Tesla S owner complain about this for several years. Only to find out it was a simple fix with front disc brake pads clunking.

Alright, Iā€™m jumping in hoping yā€™allā€™s Insights will be helpful for me as well.

My 2016.5 P90D has a bad clunk/rattle from the front left, and Iā€™ve replaced or examined everything except the struts.

I had my original front struts replaced with the 77-Cā€™s back in 2019 because of noise at low speed. As with everyone else, that noise came back after a few months, but it was minor so I just dealt with it.

Now, I have a very loud clunk/rattleā€¦but strangely, I can only hear it with the windows down. I still think itā€™s the struts, because it lines up perfectly with impact of bumps and Iā€™ve inspected or replaced every other component.

Here is my thread on my sound, with a video sample:

So, at this point I think Iā€™m going to replace the factory air strut with the aftermarket Arnotts and see if that fixes things.

I was also considering the Unplugged Performance struts, but it looks like they actually still use the part of the factory strut that rattles, so I think thatā€™s out.

Arnott might be the only permanent fix. Iā€™m going to go ahead and do front and back because my backs feel soft - Hoping this does a lot for the car!

Reactions: bwherry
Alright, Iā€™m jumping in hoping yā€™allā€™s Insights will be helpful for me as well.

My 2016.5 P90D has a bad clunk/rattle from the front left, and Iā€™ve replaced or examined everything except the struts.

I had my original front struts replaced with the 77-Cā€™s back in 2019 because of noise at low speed. As with everyone else, that noise came back after a few months, but it was minor so I just dealt with it.

Now, I have a very loud clunk/rattleā€¦but strangely, I can only hear it with the windows down. I still think itā€™s the struts, because it lines up perfectly with impact of bumps and Iā€™ve inspected or replaced every other component.

Here is my thread on my sound, with a video sample:

So, at this point I think Iā€™m going to replace the factory air strut with the aftermarket Arnotts and see if that fixes things.

I was also considering the Unplugged Performance struts, but it looks like they actually still use the part of the factory strut that rattles, so I think thatā€™s out.

Arnott might be the only permanent fix. Iā€™m going to go ahead and do front and back because my backs feel soft - Hoping this does a lot for the car!
Hello,
I would recommend asking Tesla to investigate the source, they have great guys who have the ears for that ;) Here in Canada, the price is around 90$.
A lot of parts around the suspension could cause this noise. I listened to your video but never heard this kind of noise. In my case, it was more like a "ping pong" noise, like the coil spring is hitting the aluminium casing of the struts. Yours sounds like something loose and clunking against metal. Maybe a rock in the brake disk or a loose brake pad?
On my tesla Model S, Tesla changed:
FR UPR CTRL ARM, RH, DUAL MOTOR(1043966-00-B) (Creaking noise over bumps)
FR SUSP AFT LINK ASSY(1027351-00-C) (Rubber was worn out)
FRONT STABAR LINK - DUAL MOTOR(1030603- 00-B) (ref:
)
The stabilizer bar (can't find the part number yet. Rubber was worn out and starting to get loose.)
Shock Tower Braces: RH - LHD - SVC NVH(1064611-S0-B) and LH - LHD - SVC NVH(1064610-S0-E) (reduce the problem of the 77-C struts or even resolve it? ref: Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18))
Tesla realign one of the brake dust which was making a vibration noise when hitting the tire.
Everything helps a lot but the ping-pong sound at low speed was not removed until we changed the struts. Because the struts 77-C don't seem to resolve the ping pong noise at low speed, I decided to try the Arnott. Up to now, very happy with the better ride quality with hope they will last better than the OEM...

Hello,
I would recommend asking Tesla to investigate the source, they have great guys who have the ears for that ;) Here in Canada, the price is around 90$.
A lot of parts around the suspension could cause this noise. I listened to your video but never heard this kind of noise. In my case, it was more like a "ping pong" noise, like the coil spring is hitting the aluminium casing of the struts. Yours sounds like something loose and clunking against metal. Maybe a rock in the brake disk or a loose brake pad?
On my tesla Model S, Tesla changed:
FR UPR CTRL ARM, RH, DUAL MOTOR(1043966-00-B) (Creaking noise over bumps)
FR SUSP AFT LINK ASSY(1027351-00-C) (Rubber was worn out)
FRONT STABAR LINK - DUAL MOTOR(1030603- 00-B) (ref:
)
The stabilizer bar (can't find the part number yet. Rubber was worn out and starting to get loose.)
Shock Tower Braces: RH - LHD - SVC NVH(1064611-S0-B) and LH - LHD - SVC NVH(1064610-S0-E) (reduce the problem of the 77-C struts or even resolve it? ref: Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18))
Tesla realign one of the brake dust which was making a vibration noise when hitting the tire.
Everything helps a lot but the ping-pong sound at low speed was not removed until we changed the struts. Because the struts 77-C don't seem to resolve the ping pong noise at low speed, I decided to try the Arnott. Up to now, very happy with the better ride quality with hope they will last better than the OEM...

Thanks for the insights - yes, my noise does sound like something loose and clunking. I have mobile service coming by on the 11th for something else, so I'll see if they have any thoughts.

Just a general Arnott note from skimming their website:

Interestingly, their offering for AWD vehicles is made from Continental components, and the offering for RWD is made from Firestone components.

Since they mention it's OE, I am curious if that's the same Firestone components that cause issues in the stock struts, just white-labeled for Arnott.

Definitely make sure you get the Continental ones (the part numbers that jcpetit mentioned)

Reactions: bwherry
Well, my sound ended up coming from the inner bolt on my aft arm being loose, and not the strut:

So, my struts do work as they should. But with that said, I already have Arnott's in my garage....are they significant enough of an improvement over factory that I should still replace my factory struts with them? My car has 41k miles.

Well, my sound ended up coming from the inner bolt on my aft arm being loose, and not the strut:

So, my struts do work as they should. But with that said, I already have Arnott's in my garage....are they significant enough of an improvement over factory that I should still replace my factory struts with them? My car has 41k miles.
Do you have the 77-C struts ? If you do, they should be good up to at least 100K.
I had the older ones and my car was around 140K km when I changed them for the Arnott. Also, I'm in Montreal, Canada where roads are very bad and winters very harsh...
But my EV garage and I agreed that the ride is better with the Arnott (Not scientifically tested). We just don't know how they will behave in the long run.

Do you have the 77-C struts ? If you do, they should be good up to at least 100K.
I had the older ones and my car was around 140K km when I changed them for the Arnott. Also, I'm in Montreal, Canada where roads are very bad and winters very harsh...
But my EV garage and I agreed that the ride is better with the Arnott (Not scientifically tested). We just don't know how they will behave in the long run.

I have the 77-Cā€™s up front, theyā€™re 2 years old. I have factory struts in the back, theyā€™re 6 years old.

They perform okay, but are a little ā€œsoftā€ for my liking, and they kinda wheeze over speed bumps sometimesā€¦they just feel low quality IMO. I hear that the Arnotts feel firmer and more planted, but thatā€™s from a very limited number of reviews available.

Reactions: jcpetit and bwherry
hello
I also have noise from the air suspension Model S refreshed from 2017, I would like to buy the suspension from Arnot, can anyone tell me if the height calibration needs to be done at a Tesla dealer after suspension is changed. I would like to change it at a local service because the nearest Tesla service is over 600 km away and they dont have diagnostic tools for Tesla cars.
Thanks

hello
I also have noise from the air suspension Model S refreshed from 2017, I would like to buy the suspension from Arnot, can anyone tell me if the height calibration needs to be done at a Tesla dealer after suspension is changed. I would like to change it at a local service because the nearest Tesla service is over 600 km away and they dont have diagnostic tools for Tesla cars.
Thanks
Hello.
Are you sure the noise is coming from the suspensions? I would make a diagnostic first, the noise can come from a lot of sources.
Usually, the first cause seems to be the sway bars. then the control arms, the bushings of any parts and finally the suspensions.

Hello.
Are you sure the noise is coming from the suspensions? I would make a diagnostic first, the noise can come from a lot of sources.
Usually, the first cause seems to be the sway bars. then the control arms, the bushings of any parts and finally the suspensions.
The sway bars are new...only at low speed under 25 km/h the noise can be heard and is very annoying...if I drive on the same bumpy road with 50 km/h ore more,I can not heard nothing.

The sway bars are new...only at low speed under 25 km/h the noise can be heard and is very annoying...if I drive on the same bumpy road with 50 km/h ore more,I can not heard nothing.
I had that noise issue and this is the post that applied to me. They ordered new parts but the same version 1 and the same issue occurred. So they are now ordering version 2. (Why they didnā€™t order version 2 the first time is beyond me.) In the meantime they put in some foam to help with the noise and it did make a big difference.

This is from my invoice. And I did have them order version 2.

ā€œConcern: Rattle or squeak - customer states: Unfortunately the upper control arm replacement that I had done yesterday did not resolve the rattle/clunking issue coming from the front of the vehicle. Noticeable when going under 20 down bumpy roads.
Verified concern with customer, removed and replaced both shock tower braces. Noise is still present, however upon Installing foam in-between strut tower and brace isolates noise. Found that part that was replaced was a direct replacement and not the revision with rubber isolator, If noise persists, braces with isolators will need to be ordered and installed at new appointment.
Correction: Shock Tower Brace - Pair (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
Asy-Shock Tower 1.00 Brace,RH LHD(1064611-
00-B)
Asy, Shock Tower Brace, 1.00 LHD(1064610-00-D)
Pay Type: Goodwill - Serviceā€

I had that noise issue and this is the post that applied to me. They ordered new parts but the same version 1 and the same issue occurred. So they are now ordering version 2. (Why they didnā€™t order version 2 the first time is beyond me.) In the meantime they put in some foam to help with the noise and it did make a big difference.

This is from my invoice. And I did have them order version 2.

ā€œConcern: Rattle or squeak - customer states: Unfortunately the upper control arm replacement that I had done yesterday did not resolve the rattle/clunking issue coming from the front of the vehicle. Noticeable when going under 20 down bumpy roads.
Verified concern with customer, removed and replaced both shock tower braces. Noise is still present, however upon Installing foam in-between strut tower and brace isolates noise. Found that part that was replaced was a direct replacement and not the revision with rubber isolator, If noise persists, braces with isolators will need to be ordered and installed at new appointment.
Correction: Shock Tower Brace - Pair (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
Asy-Shock Tower 1.00 Brace,RH LHD(1064611-
00-B)
Asy, Shock Tower Brace, 1.00 LHD(1064610-00-D)
Pay Type: Goodwill - Serviceā€
This is interesting ;) It looks like we have now shock tower braces with rubber isolator to mitigate front noises ;)
Could you tell us if they are the parts RH - LHD - SVC NVH(1064611-S0-B) and LH - LHD - SVC NVH(1064610-S0-E) ?
Also, do you already have the 1067361-77-C front air struts?
I have now the Arnott air struts in the rear and front. Everything was much better for a few months. But now for a few days, I started to hear weird noises, this time at the rear (both sides), mainly at low speed on rough roads. I have an appointment in 2 weeks to check it out. I hope it isn't the Arnott rear struts... I sure let you know when we find out.

hello
Thanks

Height calibration is not necessary after changing air struts.

. I hope it isn't the Arnott rear struts... I sure let you know when we find out.

I hope not.....because they'll damn sure blame it on any aftermarket part that's in there! Tesla won't even diagnose my rear suspension because I have aftermarket adjustable control arms.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
This is interesting ;) It looks like we have now shock tower braces with rubber isolator to mitigate front noises ;)
Could you tell us if they are the parts RH - LHD - SVC NVH(1064611-S0-B) and LH - LHD - SVC NVH(1064610-S0-E) ?
Also, do you already have the 1067361-77-C front air struts?
I have now the Arnott air struts in the rear and front. Everything was much better for a few months. But now for a few days, I started to hear weird noises, this time at the rear (both sides), mainly at low speed on rough roads. I have an appointment in 2 weeks to check it out. I hope it isn't the Arnott rear struts... I sure let you know when we find out.
Hello. Just wondering if anything was discovered about the noise.

I have a 2017 S75D, with the clunking noise at the front, and I'm considering the Arnotts.