Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven de-tune mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering a new MS Performance. My wife has a M3 Performance that I have driven fairly aggressively at times and it has never gone into limp or de-tune mode. Based on reports from owners and magazines taking the M3 to the track, it stands up to at least 3 or 4 hard laps before limiting performance.

My question is whether the Raven has brought this improved thermal performance to the MS. Based on older tests, like the Car and Driver Lightning Lap test, older MS cannot do a single race track lap without going into limp or at least severely limited performance mode. So, does anyone know if the Raven has improved this to the point where at least spirited street driving for an extended period would not result in reduced performance?

Thanks in advance.

I'm considering a new MS Performance. My wife has a M3 Performance that I have driven fairly aggressively at times and it has never gone into limp or de-tune mode. Based on reports from owners and magazines taking the M3 to the track, it stands up to at least 3 or 4 hard laps before limiting performance.

My question is whether the Raven has brought this improved thermal performance to the MS. Based on older tests, like the Car and Driver Lightning Lap test, older MS cannot do a single race track lap without going into limp or at least severely limited performance mode. So, does anyone know if the Raven has improved this to the point where at least spirited street driving for an extended period would not result in reduced performance?

Thanks in advance.

I guess that depends on what your definition of "spirited driving" on the street is? These things are as fast or faster than nearly all Ferrari and Lamborghinis. I've actually never had a supercar driver ask me to run him again, once seems to be about all their egos can handle. In fact the Z06 drivers in my town wont even make eye contact with me at stop lights anymore.

I believe people should get what's best for them, so if you like to race road course all the time and doing lap after lap is your thing, buy a 911, that's what they are made for.

I guess that depends on what your definition of "spirited driving" on the street is? These things are as fast or faster than nearly all Ferrari and Lamborghinis. I've actually never had a supercar driver ask me to run him again, once seems to be about all their egos can handle. In fact the Z06 drivers in my town wont even make eye contact with me at stop lights anymore.

I believe people should get what's best for them, so if you like to race road course all the time and doing lap after lap is your thing, buy a 911, that's what they are made for.

Funny you should mention it as I was thinking of trading my 911 for the Model S Performance. However, after the low-ball trade-in offer from Tesla, I will be keeping the 911.

I was also considering trading in my S and I also got a ridiculous trade in offer. A totaled older model S goes for more than they offered yet they said Kelley blue book. I will keep mine for now vs the hassle of a private sale.

Funny you should mention it as I was thinking of trading my 911 for the Model S Performance. However, after the low-ball trade-in offer from Tesla, I will be keeping the 911.

Sounds like you made the right choice. If I recall, Tesla offered me a lower value on my P85D, as well. I decided to be patient and sell it myself. It took a couple month but I eventually got what I was asking for it.