Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven Model S - Front Motor Whine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 4-month-old Raven S exhibited this whine too. At first, I just thought that was normal electric motor noise since it is our first Tesla. However, several 2018 S 75D loaners had noticeably quieter whine so I accepted that the higher pitched and louder whine was a trade-off for greater efficiency with the permanent magnet front motor.

However, I experienced a clicking/chattering/croaking noise during moderate-to-hard acceleration (this is not "shudder") and SC replaced both front half shafts. After I got the car back I noticed the high-pitched whine is completely gone! The slight electric hum is even quieter than the pre-Raven loaners and now I do not hear any whine during regen or it's so silent that I really have to strain with the radio off to detect it. The front motor is definitely quieter after replacing both front axles.

Reactions: gbailey
It was my understanding that the rear motor is the same for Pre-Raven and Raven and only the front motor was changed,
so these notes add further to the mystery.
It is good to hear that Tesla may have acknowledged the problem and may be planning a software update.
Such an update will greatly increase my enjoyment of the car.

I got some news this week from a Service Manager that Tesla is working on a 'noise dampening cover' for noisy drive units. Appears that it will be a paid add-on, but if it works, I'm happy to sign up for it. Will be at least January before they have design, parts, tools, etc.
Which service center was this in Atlanta? the wine is drilling into my skull and Alpharetta told me "ITS NORMAL FOR A 100+k car"

• Funny
Reactions: polyphonic54
Sometimes I wonder if these guys can hear anything

My recent mobile service tech had exceedingly good vision; he was able to work on my car in an underground parking garage and when it seemed too dark to me and I offered to hold a flashlight he said he could see just fine, and was used to working in dark areas. So my theory is that in order to have enhanced vision, Tesla service folks have diminished hearing to compensate.

In case it was not obvious: /s, joke, ha ha, happy new year, mobile service techs are great, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: polyphonic54
Hello,
I have a 2020 Raven that is 9 months.
Since it was new, it's had a loud whine from the front that starts at start up and finally stops at about 35 mph. It sounds very much like a truck transmission. The frequency goes up as the car goes faster.
Anyone have experience with this type of whine? It's driving me crazy. Service is saying it's normal with this new type motor.