Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud whine from front motor when decelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The front motor feels noisier than the rear. When you let off the pedal, regen is using the motors (in reverse if you will) to charge the battery. Normally this happens from the rear as the car is very rear-biased. However, since the last few software updates, the car is better at detecting slippage in the rear and using the front in that situation. It becomes a more balanced AWD car. You can look at Bjorn Nyland's Youtube video stating that Tesla now has a "snow mode".
I can definitely hear my front motor more on regen now in the winter, for example after I've slipped a bit. Confirmed by ScanMyTesla which shows my front motor getting more usage in acceleration and deceleration now than last winter.
* I would say this is normal behavior *

You can definitely hear it from inside the cabin. I dunno from the outside for obvious reasons but judging from people outside they don't seem to be alerted to the decel. I wonder if this is a case of being new to EV, and maybe Tesla's stronger use of regen?
I came from an sr+ to an LR so it is technically new to me having the front motor there now. Just thought it sounds louder than normal but i'm not quite sure.

I came from an sr+ to an LR so it is technically new to me having the front motor there now. Just thought it sounds louder than normal but i'm not quite sure.
I see, yea it would be a new thing for you since your regen in the SR is much more muted. In RWD cars, rear regen is not strong because of the braking torque, it needs to be balanced with the front This is something that made even F1 teams struggle when KERS first came out. Thus for you, you're going to have a shock as there is more noise in front.

Reactions: fluxcapacitor
Agreed that front motor noise makes it into the cabin more than rear motor, on dual motor Teslas.

That said if your regen sounds as loud as a Prius or other Toyota Hybrid (comparing from outside the cars), that would be unusual for a Tesla in my experience.

Reactions: fluxcapacitor