Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reached out to tesla for known wiper issue...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The off button isn't disabled. If you turn it off, when you turn on AS/AP then it cuts the auto wipers back on (saying something like it is needed for AS/AP). However, all you then have to do is cut the wipers off again, similar to the automatic high beam. What the S3XY buttons do is automate this for you, so when you set a button to turn AS/AP on, it cuts the wipers off for you, so that you don't have to do it manually, so one touch and it is all done. But the buttons merely (conveniently) turn the multiple steps into a button push.
Thanks I'll try that next time.

Update on S3XY buttons, $200 USD and currently only good for Fremont assembled MY's. If you have an Austin assembled MY they aren't working for the moment at least. Mine is Fremont assembled but I'm not about to start spending dollars to fix or correct basic functionality 😅 I'd rather spend my energy harassing Tesla about it till they fix it...

Reactions: zoomer0056
The off button isn't disabled. If you turn it off, when you turn on AS/AP then it cuts the auto wipers back on (saying something like it is needed for AS/AP). However, all you then have to do is cut the wipers off again, similar to the automatic high beam. What the S3XY buttons do is automate this for you, so when you set a button to turn AS/AP on, it cuts the wipers off for you, so that you don't have to do it manually, so one touch and it is all done. But the buttons merely (conveniently) turn the multiple steps into a button push.
Not sure I follow you here.
When AP or AS is on, a press on the left stalk button will display the wipers settings, But if you tap on "OFF", it will automatically reset itself immediately to "AUTO".

I'm totally with @mabbas on this.
I've got in touch with support through the app no later than yesterday for the exact same issue. Autopilot and Autosteer, a core Tesla functionnality, made completely unusable 5, 6 months per year where I live, just because Tesla can't get auto wipers to work as they should? I'm sorry but this is plainly unacceptable.

I didn't even know it was a known issue on the Model Y, which makes it even worse.
It's been a few months now, and still no fix in the horizon? For a car at that price tag, yes, this is definitely worth complaining rather than just sit and wait for a firmware update that will maybe eventually address the issue.

I insisted and got a appointment at the closest SC next Thursday. Maybe I'll go there for nothing, but this will maybe send a signal among others to Tesla to take issues like these seriously.
Elon repeatedly said services in SC needed to step up, I'll have a chance to report improvements if I see any (well, that was before the Twitter madness)

PS: and no, I will not spend $300 CAD for "sexy buttons" to fix something that should be working. All other car manufacturers have had auto wipers working properly for years.

You consider experimental Beta features to be a core Tesla feature. You do realize that basic autopilot (auto steer) is still considered a Beta feature? It is now, was in the past, and always will be considered a Beta feature to give legal grounds for Tesla to tell us to piss up a rope when we have complaints. Now you have a second Beta feature (Auto windshield wipers) that is not working to your satisfaction when combined with a different Beta feature... how much traction do you expect to get with your complaints? From what I understand, auto high beams don't suck as bad as they used to (I have them bypassed with S3XY button system)... a feature that has been standard on mid-level and up cars for decades has finally been patched to the point where it doesn't completely suck, and people are over the moon about it!

Are you ready for the old man "back in my day" paragraph? If not skip the rest of this post!

Computer programs / games (PC and MAC / PS1, Xbox) used to be tested, re-tested, and re-tested some more until almost all of the bugs were worked out, and then the program was released to the public. Over the first few months to a year of use some flaws that were missed would be found by users and a patch would eventually be released on floppy or CD to correct those problems. Now, when you get a new PS5 game you purchase it expecting to be able to get down to game play, and instead you get a buggy POS that has a release day patch that you have to download and install. Even that release day patch will have horrible bugs in it, and a few weeks down the line you may have a fully functional game. Moving into the automotive world, before the "wonderful" innovation of over the air updates when you purchased a car the software for the infotainment system had been exhaustively tested and for the most part worked. If a major flaw was detected a new revision of the software would be developed to correct the problem and you had to go to a dealership to have it installed. Now with the wonder and glory of over the air updates, we get download after download of buggy crap. The ONLY software update I can remember getting that was not a fix to a fix to a fix to a fix to a bug has been the addition of Track mode for the MYP. I guess added fluff like new games, / annoying UI changes could be considered a worth wile download by some people.

TL/DR Easy software patching has resulted in using the customer as Alpha testers (pre-Beta testing) of new software.

If you expect a car to work as designed, buy a 1965 Chevy truck.

Keith

There is no reply for them to send you regarding what you asked. There is no hardware they can swap in, and there is nothing (absolutely nothing) that any local service center can do about this.

All you are doing is branding yourself "a problem" with your local service center. If you want to do that, go ahead but its not going to change anything with the auto wipers, but could change how you are responded to if you have any other issue.

Note that I dont work for tesla, nor am I a tesla insider... but I have either performed or managed people who perform customer service roles my entire working career, and I am in my mid 50s. If you think there is no such thing as branding a customer a problem, thats incorrect. If you think yelling / complaining to people who have no ability to fix your problem is also going to do anything other than perhaps make you feel better, and make them resent you, you are also incorrect.

Look, the auto wipers suck, I get it. sometimes they are better sometimes they are worse, but submitting a service request for your local service center, railing at them about "remove this beta software" etc, is not doing anything but making them "remember" you for all the wrong reasons.

Thanks, you hit the nail on the head @jjrandorin. It's amazing how few people understand this. I don't think you even have to have worked in service, you just have to put yourself in the other persons' shoes - something you should probably do whenever you interact with anyone about anything. I feel sorry for people who spend their lives getting angry and frustrated unnecessarily and giving other people a hard time - it's not likely to get results in 99% of cases. I'm guessing it's also the story behind the vast majority of "Tesla service sucks" and "<insert big company> sucks" stories that pollute the internet.

Reactions: laservet
You consider experimental Beta features to be a core Tesla feature.
I consider those features as being core features exactly like @mabbas described them:

I wouldn't classify them as "core functions for me" , but it certainly was an alluring feature that is better on tesla's than on most vehicles on the road
Again, totally agree. AP features is the USP that allows Tesla not to spend a single dime on advertising, yet selling cars at such high price tags.

Thanks, you hit the nail on the head @jjrandorin. It's amazing how few people understand this. I don't think you even have to have worked in service, you just have to put yourself in the other persons' shoes - something you should probably do whenever you interact with anyone about anything. I feel sorry for people who spend their lives getting angry and frustrated unnecessarily and giving other people a hard time - it's not likely to get results in 99% of cases. I'm guessing it's also the story behind the vast majority of "Tesla service sucks" and "<insert big company> sucks" stories that pollute the internet.
There's a big difference between my "rant" about crappy auto wipers here on the TMC forum and how I politely explained the situation in my service request. You can legitimately complain about an issue you have with your car (or anything else) without being disrespectful to the person you're talking to, which is what I did and led me to my next paragraph.

Tesla support line just called me this morning, ahead of my appointment tomorrow.
They needed to know at what time exactly the video I attached to my support request was shot, which tells me they may be seriously investigating by harvesting the logs I guess. They did not cancel my appointment.

Stay tuned...

Update: I had my SC appointment this morning, which as I expected, lasted less than 10 minutes. They told me I was not the first Model Y customer to file a service request about this issue these last few weeks, and that they're communicating with the mothership to get this issue fixed in an upcoming OTA update.

I just wish they had told me this over the phone, but they did not cancel my appointment. That would have saved me from a useless 30 min round trip to the SC, but it's not a big deal.

All in all, I'm still happy I reported the auto wipers issue I have since I was able to help their investigation of the problem with my video. When the fix is eventually released, I'll claim a little fraction of being part of the solution :)

This is how Tesla will end up building cars with reliable tech rather than building computers on wheels.

I suspect they'll make the wipers better sooner or later, it's a matter of priorities. Can't say they bother me enough to go out of my way or get upset about them, and I deal with a lot of weather. Sometimes with Tesla you just have to wait - this is exactly what happened with the auto high beams - they've been *sugar* for years but finally a couple of updates ago they became amazing. I'm genuinely wowed how they identify oncoming vehicles in tricky situations now and it's completely stopped doing the embarrassing stuff. They'll get there.

Reactions: AlexHung
Hey man you do you and I'll do me. I love my tesla for the most part. If it was a bigger deal I'd deal with it appropriately. Apologies if my "rant" upset you. Smfh...

The purpose of my post was to share what tesla can or can't do right now. Not everyone is an expert (allegedly) like you and the other guy slamming my post...
You could take them to small claims court for damages, which would’ve caused them to have to get an attorney to come to court and deal with the problem. (If it must have a product associated with it, I would indicate the cost of the full self driving software.) then I would call the newspapers and let them know that you filed the case against Tesla.

Now, a lot of people here would just say that I’m being a mean evil person… But I am kind of sick and tired of Tesla screwing features up on the car and claiming that they’re beta features. nowhere does it say the auto wipers is a beta feature anywhere in the UI.

The famous one is the inability to adjust regenerative braking, so that it’s not causing the passengers in the car whiplash when you take your foot off the accelerator.

Of course the required auto wiper feature when using auto pilot is also pretty darn annoying. I completely agree with you.

Not sure I follow you here.
When AP or AS is on, a press on the left stalk button will display the wipers settings, But if you tap on "OFF", it will automatically reset itself immediately to "AUTO".
I just did AP normally (without using S3XY buttons) and I apologize, you are correct. This must have been changed since I have had S3XY buttons, because prior to it, this is how I got past the annoyance. More reason to get the buttons I guess.

Uodate: I was in the area so stopped by one of the Tesla dealers closest to me. Initially a service manager said if i had the car on AP I should be able to toggle the wipers off which I knew didn't work but to humor him went for a short drive to try. When I came back he thought he might be able to get a tech to push a firmware update that might roll back or even rectify the problem, again didn't think so but waited for the ultimate update which I pretty much knew was the case, would have to wait for a software update. At least I got to meet the service manager who was a kind and helpful fellow and I was on my best behavior and interacted with him in my most amiable version. Now I patiently wait for an update with everyone else still pretty peeod about the fact until an update happens auto steer and auto pilot is pretty much unusable and no I'm not spending $200 or more for S3XY buttons 😅

Uodate: I was in the area so stopped by one of the Tesla dealers closest to me. Initially a service manager said if i had the car on AP I should be able to toggle the wipers off which I knew didn't work but to humor him went for a short drive to try. When I came back he thought he might be able to get a tech to push a firmware update that might roll back or even rectify the problem, again didn't think so but waited for the ultimate update which I pretty much knew was the case, would have to wait for a software update. At least I got to meet the service manager who was a kind and helpful fellow and I was on my best behavior and interacted with him in my most amiable version. Now I patiently wait for an update with everyone else still pretty peeod about the fact until an update happens auto steer and auto pilot is pretty much unusable and no I'm not spending $200 or more for S3XY buttons 😅

Your choice, but the S3XY buttons are one of the best purchases I have made for my MYP, and this is coming from a guy that likes to work on cars, likes to modify things, and has crap loads of accessories / upgrades on his MYP. It is a toss up between the S3XY buttons and my Full-shade as to what modification is the best.

Keith

Reactions: samori01 and 804son
Your choice, but the S3XY buttons are one of the best purchases I have made for my MYP, and this is coming from a guy that likes to work on cars, likes to modify things, and has crap loads of accessories / upgrades on his MYP. It is a toss up between the S3XY buttons and my Full-shade as to what modification is the best.

Keith
Cosign for the S3XY buttons, they just make things a lot more convenient, and again, I cannot stress how good the customer service is.