Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reading between the lines... 200 mile range with 35kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
unless you are grannying the thing, the S85 is closer to 200mi than 300mi in real world range

i'd feel cautious about taking that 200mi figure for face value.

And that's only when you range charge.

I think tesla will just sell more of the higher kWh pack, so it's not that important to them. As long as they hit the 200miles and 35k on paper then they have done what they said.
But I guarantee they plan on selling more 50k+ model 3s than 35k.

And that's only when you range charge.

I think tesla will just sell more of the higher kWh pack, so it's not that important to them. As long as they hit the 200miles and 35k on paper then they have done what they said.
But I guarantee they plan on selling more 50k+ model 3s than 35k.

They'll probably only ship the $60k top spec "P" model for the first 6 months, then the mid-spec $45k 250 mile range configuration, then 6 months after that the $35k 200 mile base configuration (assuming they don't cancel it).

Another factor to consider, they might want to avoid 60kwh and 85kwh on the model 3 to avoid easy math or to segment the market (oy vey on the market segmentation over good engineering).

Hopefully they won't do it for market segmentation but it could lead to a 45, 50, or 55 just to make it less than 60 and still give the range they want and take best advantage of space available in the new design.

I predict that the S60 will be phased out with the model3 intro. The the model3 will come in only two pack sizes 50 and 65kWh to improve manufacturing efficiency. At that point the Model S will have a larger battery option.

My guess is the 60 kWh battery will be phased out before the model 3 introduction and replaced with the 85 kWh. That is assuming the Model X will be the first to get an even larger battery which will also eventually become available on the Model S.

I predict that the S60 will be phased out with the model3 intro. The the model3 will come in only two pack sizes 50 and 65kWh to improve manufacturing efficiency. At that point the Model S will have a larger battery option.

I can see Tesla retiring the 60 pack on Model S once the 3 is ready with a couple of battery options. Those would fill the price range from $35K to where the 60 pack Model S is currently. Model S would then have a 85pack with the P85D options. I figure Model 3 would come with perhaps a 50 pack with options to go higher, maybe a pack 70 or so.

Since none of us know and these are all wild speculations, I disagree that the entry level Model 3 would be discontinued any time soon after it comes out. That is quite a different story than possibly discontinuing the 60 Model S (which might be replaced by something else, a high end Model 3). Tesla needs, IMHO, huge sales of any and every Model 3 it can produce, and there is a much larger demand for the low end of this level car than there is for the Model S, again, IMHO.

I am sorry but you people do not have any real understanding about batteries. The upgraded ROADSTER should do around 340 miles real world.
The MODEL 3 needs to have a 60kWh pack or it will be a PR and reviews disaster because reviewers will be reporting 160 mile range on anything less !