Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready to order MY. Quick questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So that I will not overlook any thing before entering my order, I would like to confirm:

1. There are no other options besides: LR or Performance, Color, interior color, wheel size, 5 or 7 seats, tow hitch, and FSD
2. Autopilot only comes with FSD. FSD can be purchased later (maybe more expensive)

I definitely will get the FSD sooner or later. Is it better to get it now? Some says the insurance will be more since the value of the car is more. Whats your advice here?
Thank you.

Autopilot is included even without FSD, your second point indicates, at least how I read it, that you believe otherwise (?) We did not get the FSD as there is no definitive timeline as to when it will be available. If it becomes available and if it is deemed good then we may reconsider, didn't feel the need to give Tesla an additional $8k for no current benefit.

...Some says the insurance will be more since the value of the car is more...

Yes, and that's for your advantage so that the insurance can automatically cover you for a higher value rather than the lower value then you have to manually submit proof that you bought FSD later so they should reimburse you at the higher value in case of a total loss.

Yes, and that's for your advantage so that the insurance can automatically cover you for a higher value rather than the lower value then you have to manually submit proof that you bought FSD later so they should reimburse you at the higher value in case of a total loss.

I added EAP after purchase and spent a few thousand on PPF and Ceramic Coating. Does anyone know if Insurance covers the value of those things? Should I let them know? I understand it would increase my yearly premium but what are your thoughts?

I added EAP after purchase and spent a few thousand on PPF and Ceramic Coating. Does anyone know if Insurance covers the value of those things? Should I let them know? I understand it would increase my yearly premium but what are your thoughts?

It depends on how your insurance covers you.

Some would just default on a VIN without asking for how much you paid. That means they only reimburse you for a predetermined value assigned by a standardized VIN regardless of additional more expensive options on top of that standard.

Mine would want to know how much I paid so they can calculate the premium and to cover the value in case of a claim. If I add value to my car later, I can call to update that fact.

It depends on how your insurance covers you.

Some would just default on a VIN without asking for how much you paid. That means they only reimburse you for a predetermined value assigned by a standardized VIN regardless of additional more expensive options on top of that standard.

Mine would want to know how much I paid so they can calculate the premium and to cover the value in case of a claim. If I add value to my car later, I can call to update that fact.

Thanks. My insurance company did ask how much I paid since the VIN and Tesla’s in general don’t seem to populate for them all the time. I have NJM. I guess I will call them and let them know about EAP for sure and see what they say. I will,also bring up PPF and Ceramic Coating but I’m thinking that’s not covered. I appreciate your response.

So there are NO incremental benefits or features (e.g summon or auto park, etc.) with currentFSD??? Then why would anyone pays 8k just to avoid a potential price increase in the future? I must be missing something.

Sorry, yes those apparently are included however I did not see the value. I can park myself just fine and I saw no need to have the car slowly crawl toward me and hopefully not run into anything on the way that would end up being my fault. The slight extra autopilot features didn't seem all that compelling either, but then again I view autopilot as having limited benefits as it's currently configured. Overall very limited current benefits for the money. Of course that's my opinion only.

So there are NO incremental benefits or features (e.g summon or auto park, etc.) with currentFSD??? Then why would anyone pays 8k just to avoid a potential price increase in the future? I must be missing something.

Only the most basic elements of Autopilot are included without FSD - TACC, and in lane Autosteer. Automatic lane changes by turn signal, navigate on Autopilot, summon, reacting to traffic lights are all part of FSD.

Most of those are included in the Enhanced Autopilot option that Tesla has sometimes offered.

...Then why would anyone pays 8k just to avoid a potential price increase in the future?...

Your rationale is very valid that why paying in advance when the product is not proven yet.

I don't think anyone can achieve FSD (without human driver) any time soon but still, I pay for the beta system because I want to grow with the system.

...So there are NO incremental benefits or features (e.g summon or auto park, etc.) with currentFSD???...

If you freeze in time, "current" is frozen and there would not be any more progress.

But time has not been frozen and I've seen the progress incrementally since first introduced in 2014 AP1, 2016 AP2 and now with HW3 and soon HW4...

The goal is FSD: There will be no need for a driver at the wheel. That is not a reality right now but we are creeping toward it.

Last edited: