Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready to order MYLR but have EAP question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys I think I am ready to order a MYLR, the latest price drop was very nice, but I do have some questions.
This, from people who have used/are using EAP.

Q1: I know I am never going to purchase FSD, but is EAP worth looking into? Does it really make the drive experience better?

Q2: Is there a price difference between adding EAP with the order versus paying for it later after I have the car?

Guys I think I am ready to order a MYLR, the latest price drop was very nice, but I do have some questions.
This, from people who have used/are using EAP.

Q1: I know I am never going to purchase FSD, but is EAP worth looking into? Does it really make the drive experience better?

Q2: Is there a price difference between adding EAP with the order versus paying for it later after I have the car?

1). EAP is almost FSD but without "Autosteer in the city."

FSD is still buggy so I would not recommend for a consumer. However, if you love being a Tester, it's for you.

If EAP is free, I'll take it but I don't think it is worth the price to buy it.

2) There used to be a penalty for procrastination but with monthly subscription, there's no such penalty anymore.

In the garage is a 2021 MY with EAP. It came without, although it did come with a month's free trial of FSD.

EAP has about 80% (or more) of the FSD feature set, with the one and major exception being No City Streets.

Note that the car comes with the usual base level stuff of TACC and LK.

So, let's get to the brass knuckles.

With EAP and the right options set, on limited access highways:
  1. Car will switch lanes on its own, in and out of passing lanes. This is a safety feature: The car's got more eyeballs than you do and none of them blink. So, not only will the car not, say, move into the lane on the left if there's a car there, but it won't do it if there's a car in your blind spot or Just Too Darn Close. If you hit the turn signal (which, independent of any moves of the car on its own), that signals a move into the adjacent lane; if there's something there, or something coming up behind at speed, it won't go, but it'll generally keep the blinkers on until there is room, then switch over. Generally, the car doing this is safer than a human. It may make mistakes, so it's your job to supervise; but, having said that, I've done hundreds of miles sans problems.
  2. You get summon, smart summon (i.e., it'll come to you in a parking lot), and autopark. I should note that with current vision systems these features are currently disabled, but they've been promised for 1st quarter this year. And there's some recent updates on the visualization display that seems to make this likely.
  3. With EAP, you get Navigate on Autopilot. In general, with a destination in, the car will enter an on-ramp for a limited access highway, do (with the right options) all the lane switching, and get you to the appropriate off-ramp, at which point lane changes and turns are up to you. If the off-ramp is directly to an on ramp for another interstate, then it'll stay in charge.
Now, EAP is considered a Beta by Tesla and you have to accept a bunch of serious warnings about Watching It. Further, you have to keep on torquing the steering wheel back and forth a bit, and keep your eyes out the windows. You can take 2-4 seconds to change stuff on the screen or whatever, but that's usually long enough to change a radio station.

So: Tesla wants you to seriously monitor what's going on because, inevitably, the car's going to make a mistake somewhere. It's not as bad as the FSD-b package, but it does have its moments.

The big point: Weird as it sounds, when EAP is driving, it's more relaxing. The cars in front slow down? EAP will slow down as well. Somebody does a panic stop? Your car will react quicker than you will and prevent rear-ending of the cars in front of you. The minutia of manipulating the steering wheel, gas pedal, and brake? You're not doing it. Your job is to supervise, look for crazed drivers and Really Weird traffic problems, typically construction, but the occasional collections of emergency vehicles, which the car (usually) can handle, but it's better if you did it.

Result: One gets to one's destination feeling a lot less beat up than if you were driving it all.

When the SO's Model Y's FSD trial ended back in 2021, the car reverted to standard autopilot. Which works. But certainly doesn't change lanes on its own at all. After a month or two of this and a couple of trips, the SO, who can be a notorious cheapskate, asked picky questions about EAP. After some discussion, we coughed up the $6k and got it. She's been happy with that car since then.

I'm not sure, but these days I think there's no difference between buying EAP before or after getting the car. But don't hold me to that: Call Tesla (they do have a sales line that they answer) and ask them.

At the moment, I believe that FSD is $12k and EAP is $6k. If you do buy EAP, then later decide to go for FSD, the price for FSD is currently $6k when upgrading. Finally: One can rent FSD. If one has EAP, the rental is $100/month. If one has basic autopilot, the rent is $200/month.

Reactions: jddaigle and OCR1
1). EAP is almost FSD but without "Autosteer in the city."

FSD is still buggy so I would not recommend for a consumer. However, if you love being a Tester, it's for you.

If EAP is free, I'll take it but I don't think it is worth the price to buy it.

2) There used to be a penalty for procrastination but with monthly subscription, there's no such penalty anymore.

I have been using FSD for the past five years. I noticed in the past year a lot of improvement in city driving,
and I am mostly able to use FSD without any intervention. There are a good number of YouTube videos showing it.

FSD is not perfect, and in some occasion the steering wheel makes a kind of sudden jolt when there is a lane split,
traffic lights can be confusing when there are several lanes and I prefer controlling the speed manually in sharp curves.

But for me the great advantage of FSD is to keep the car always centered in a lane in particular when I cannot really see
the lane separations, especially in the evening or at night when you have other car coming in the opposite direction.
This is very relaxing after having a long busy day at work.

About EAP, I find that keeping the car at a safe distance when following another car can be dangerous in curving roads
because the car in front of you might not be detected and the car starts to accelerate while you are in middle of a curve.
So I prefer using either FSD when I need to have a relax drive or no assistance (no EAP or FSD) when I need to drive faster
and need to make quick lane change or I have a lot of sharp left or right turn.

One thing I didnn't like about FSD is the nagging, forcing you turn a little bit your steering wheel,
but I discover that rolling one of the buttons on the steering wheel had the same effect,
so I am not annoyed anymore by the nagging.

Note: Maybe I am a little bias toward FSD because I was able to get it at its more lower initial cost.
This make me hesitate changing my car, unless there is an oportunity to transfer FSD.
From the experience of EAP alone, I would prefer getting a new Tesla with FSD or with no assistance at all (no EAP or FSD).

Last edited:
No.
No.

If you really think you want it then buy the car without and subscribe for a month first.

You’ll almost certainly find you’re much happier with $6000 in your pocket.

In the garage is a 2021 MY with EAP. It came without, although it did come with a month's free trial of FSD.

EAP has about 80% (or more) of the FSD feature set, with the one and major exception being No City Streets.

Note that the car comes with the usual base level stuff of TACC and LK.

So, let's get to the brass knuckles.

With EAP and the right options set, on limited access highways:
  1. Car will switch lanes on its own, in and out of passing lanes. This is a safety feature: The car's got more eyeballs than you do and none of them blink. So, not only will the car not, say, move into the lane on the left if there's a car there, but it won't do it if there's a car in your blind spot or Just Too Darn Close. If you hit the turn signal (which, independent of any moves of the car on its own), that signals a move into the adjacent lane; if there's something there, or something coming up behind at speed, it won't go, but it'll generally keep the blinkers on until there is room, then switch over. Generally, the car doing this is safer than a human. It may make mistakes, so it's your job to supervise; but, having said that, I've done hundreds of miles sans problems.
  2. You get summon, smart summon (i.e., it'll come to you in a parking lot), and autopark. I should note that with current vision systems these features are currently disabled, but they've been promised for 1st quarter this year. And there's some recent updates on the visualization display that seems to make this likely.
  3. With EAP, you get Navigate on Autopilot. In general, with a destination in, the car will enter an on-ramp for a limited access highway, do (with the right options) all the lane switching, and get you to the appropriate off-ramp, at which point lane changes and turns are up to you. If the off-ramp is directly to an on ramp for another interstate, then it'll stay in charge.
Now, EAP is considered a Beta by Tesla and you have to accept a bunch of serious warnings about Watching It. Further, you have to keep on torquing the steering wheel back and forth a bit, and keep your eyes out the windows. You can take 2-4 seconds to change stuff on the screen or whatever, but that's usually long enough to change a radio station.

So: Tesla wants you to seriously monitor what's going on because, inevitably, the car's going to make a mistake somewhere. It's not as bad as the FSD-b package, but it does have its moments.

The big point: Weird as it sounds, when EAP is driving, it's more relaxing. The cars in front slow down? EAP will slow down as well. Somebody does a panic stop? Your car will react quicker than you will and prevent rear-ending of the cars in front of you. The minutia of manipulating the steering wheel, gas pedal, and brake? You're not doing it. Your job is to supervise, look for crazed drivers and Really Weird traffic problems, typically construction, but the occasional collections of emergency vehicles, which the car (usually) can handle, but it's better if you did it.

Result: One gets to one's destination feeling a lot less beat up than if you were driving it all.

When the SO's Model Y's FSD trial ended back in 2021, the car reverted to standard autopilot. Which works. But certainly doesn't change lanes on its own at all. After a month or two of this and a couple of trips, the SO, who can be a notorious cheapskate, asked picky questions about EAP. After some discussion, we coughed up the $6k and got it. She's been happy with that car since then.

I'm not sure, but these days I think there's no difference between buying EAP before or after getting the car. But don't hold me to that: Call Tesla (they do have a sales line that they answer) and ask them.

At the moment, I believe that FSD is $12k and EAP is $6k. If you do buy EAP, then later decide to go for FSD, the price for FSD is currently $6k when upgrading. Finally: One can rent FSD. If one has EAP, the rental is $100/month. If one has basic autopilot, the rent is $200/month.
Thanks for the great feedback.

Reading the comments here, I am sure the first free month will give me ample experience to make the decision of buying EAP - or not.
EAP costs $7800 in Canada - so it's pretty steep.

My highway driving is very limited - probably 1- 2 trips a month when I am on the highway for an hour or more. There are a couple of trips that involve small highway time so they won't count. Most of my driving is in the city.

EAP makes a gigantic difference to me. The biggest reason is that when I’m on the highway, I turn the turn signal on, and the car decides when it is safe to change lanes, and makes them maneuver on its own. I don’t need to look around like a madman to see if it is safe. While of course I do check, at this point, I trust that the car knows when it is safe, and does a better job job than I do without the blind spots that humans have. This is honestly the best feature of the assisted driving suite, in my mind (aside from the basic auto steer itself.)

Edit: I have FSDb, but it is my understanding that EAP includes the feature I’m talking about above. I almost never enable FSDb.

Reactions: El joe
EAP makes a gigantic difference to me. The biggest reason is that when I’m on the highway, I turn the turn signal on, and the car decides when it is safe to change lanes, and makes them maneuver on its own. I don’t need to look around like a madman to see if it is safe. While of course I do check, at this point, I trust that the car knows when it is safe, and does a better job job than I do without the blind spots that humans have. This is honestly the best feature of the assisted driving suite, in my mind (aside from the basic auto steer itself.)

Edit: I have FSDb, but it is my understanding that EAP includes the feature I’m talking about above. I almost never enable FSDb.
Auto lane change is very nice. IMO it’s the only feature in EAP worth anything at all, and while it’s very nice to have, there’s no way I’d pay $6,000 for it. That’s probably $2 a lane change for the life of the car. 😂

Totally agree with @Tronguy - I bought EAP a couple years ago to assist with frequent 500-mile road-trips to visit grandkids. Absolutely agree that it takes most stress out of flying down the interstates. I do also use it regularly on well-maintained, well-marked state highways in IL.

Liked it so much I started subscribing regularly to FSD because I find the beta version reduces highway stress even more. And it gets better with every release.

Whether or not the cost is worth it probably depends on how much and how far you drive.

Whether or not the cost is worth it probably depends on how much and how far you drive.
I do about 35-40k miles a year and have put ~200,000 miles on autopilot-equipped Teslas.

I don’t see how anyone can claim that Navigate on Autopilot or FSD is a stress reducer in any way. It requires such a level of vigilance and heightened awareness at all times because you’re always guessing what the car is going to do next and if it’s rational and/or safe.

Autosteer and TACC? Wonderful. Stay in the lane I put you in and follow the car in front. Major stress reducer. Automatically changing lanes when I ask it to? Nice to have for sure.

Trying to do it on its own? Stressful nightmare. If you can relax and de-stress while the car is calling the shots then you’re braver and far more trusting than me.

I do about 35-40k miles a year and have put ~200,000 miles on autopilot-equipped Teslas.

I don’t see how anyone can claim that Navigate on Autopilot or FSD is a stress reducer in any way. It requires such a level of vigilance and heightened awareness at all times because you’re always guessing what the car is going to do next and if it’s rational and/or safe.

Autosteer and TACC? Wonderful. Stay in the lane I put you in and follow the car in front. Major stress reducer. Automatically changing lanes when I ask it to? Nice to have for sure.

Trying to do it on its own? Stressful nightmare. If you can relax and de-stress while the car is calling the shots then you’re braver and far more trusting than me.
So, I see your comment and raise the bid 😁 .

If you put me back before early 4th Quarter 2023 and earlier, with respect to FSD, I'd completely agree with you about FSD's dangers. Just half-kidding, now: I have minor forms of PTSD (my apologies to all real PTSD sufferers) when thinking about the crazy things FSD-b did on a regular basis. Not just the jerky wheel movements, but running red lights, trying to change lanes straight into cars in the adjacent lane, trying to hit Jersey Barriers on the end, and it goes on and on. That stuff really was Beta and no argument. On local streets.. no fun at all, and I did it only because I thought it would help move Tesla forward to coming up with a better product that wasn't Beta. Early on in that experience, on local roads in particular, I was doing anywhere between five and ten interventions, on average, per mile. And one to three interventions per 10 miles on much simpler interstates.

Having said that: like all complex machines, one tends to get an idea about where FSD-b is going to fail. Dodging into on-coming on-ramps because the car suddenly thinks that there's, suddenly, an extra lane-width that it has to be in the middle of? Very reliable, that, in the beginning. Running a particular red light, but no others? After the second time, One Is Prepared. Flubbing a particular off-ramp? You bet. Swerving right on left turns? Still does it, a little, but not as bad. Going straight down a road with lines on both sides? Nary a problem.

So, even with the Horribles of Old, one gets a handle on when things are going to go bad.. one stays alert because there was always something new, but shaking in one's boots is not what was happening. In fact, if there was one odd thing throughout all these beta testing, is that there was, seemingly, always, plenty of time (not seconds, but well within human reaction time) to prevent the car from immolating itself in a traffic flaw.

That was then, this is now. First off: Interventions have dropped, with FSD-b, by a factor of 20 or so, if not more. Are there still intersections that give it the fits? Sure, a couple.. but outside of those, it works pretty blamed well. And with interstates, I can typically go 100, 150 miles before I intervene for some reason. And when that happens, it's usually personal preference.

Now, over on the 11.x threads where people talk about this all the time, there are posters who, for whatever reason, seem to live in a minefield of intervention land. Even with the most recent releases these posters have Trouble. (And most of it seems to be in California, which I don't get.) And then there's those of us who don't complain much. Because we don't have much to complain about. To my mind, FSD-b is still a beta and Not Quite Ready for Ma and Pa Sixpack; it still requires constant, but not crazed attention.

So, the bit, above, where posters suggest trying it out is, I think, the right thing to do. When one gets a $200/month shot at FSD-b, one can set it to Standard Autopilot, EAP, or FSD: They've got a three-button sequence, with FSD-b on the far right. On a not-too-busy day, the OP should get the thing, find some quiet drives, and try them, one at a time. If all is sweetness and light, the OP can decide or not what level of automation the OP likes, then argue with the household how much money, when, the OP would like to spend.

A month's subscription and a half-dozen drives should do the trick.

Reactions: NeverGoingBack
Huh, 3 months, really? How does one get that?
Sigh. Some Tesla owner, preferably a friend who you like, sends you a link via text or email, using the Tesla app on their phone. Once you receive such text or email, you click on the link. Now the important part:

YOU ORDER THE CAR ON THE TESLA WEB PAGE THAT OPENS UP ON THE LINK.

That should get you the referral bonus. You, the buyer, currently gets (checking.. one sec..) not clear. The page at Tesla with the info is at https://www.tesla.com/support/refer-and-earn.

So, the buyer of a new Tesla (and it has to be their first Tesla) gets Buyer Benefits. The person who does the referring gets referral credits. On the Tesla App, which one can download without actually having a Tesla Vehicle, there's a list of various things that One Can Get and the various numbers of numerical credits required for each Thing. There's maybe 20 different things, including articles of clothing.

Three months of Full Self Driving is 6,000 credits.

1500 miles of Supercharger use: 4800 credits

1 year of premium connectivity: 2500 credits.

But the darn web site doesn't say how many credits one gets for (a) a buyer or (b) a referrer.

If you want to make some friend of yours who owns a Tesla happy, have them send you one a referrer link. Exactly what you'll get will be something, who knows what, but it won't be zero.

If I sound a little peeved: A good friend of the SO's and her husband bought a Model Y a few weeks ago. I should state that she approached us, and not the reverse, and we spent quite a bit of time explaining this, that, and the other thing. At the end of all this, I sent her a referral link. And she didn't use it :(. It's called, "leaving money on the floor".

• Funny
Reactions: eeee-meeee