Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready to order MYLR but have EAP question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autosteer and TACC? Wonderful. Stay in the lane I put you in and follow the car in front.
I totally agree. My three month free FSD expires next week. I've given it a really good workout. What a pain in the butt. Never know if it's going to stop in the middle of an intersection, take a turn at full speed, change lanes for no apparent reason, etc. They should have to pay me to use it.

I really like TACC and Autosteer, especially in rush hour traffic. All cars should come with this.

just to add to the list
I've had EAP since 2018 and have used it constantly and find it extremely useful - but I have a 50 mile round trip commute in stop/go traffic. Four years ago I added FSD which at the time made no difference to the car at all, at least until FSD beta started to arrive.
I'm in the process of buying a Model Y and was initially not going bother with FSD at all, but then the FSD transfer appeared so I'll end up with my new car getting FSD after all.
For me, EAP is well worth it, FSD not so much. But it's a personal choice.
Some folks have bought EAP then added the FSD as a subscription later.

EAP is:
  1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon
  5. Smart Summon
But without USS sensors (which is all new Teslas) numbers 3, 4, and 5 are disabled.
You've clearly not used those "features" - I call them gimmicks and party tricks. ;)
I've got a USS car, but used summon maybe 8-10 times in 6 years - it's definitely a party trick not a feature.
The parking feature barely works anyway, even with USS and "smart" summon is laughably useless.
You buy EAP for #1 & 2 on your list.

Allegedly Actually Smart Summon has been arriving for the last three years, maybe we will see it when it starts working on HW4 cars :cool:

EAP is:
  1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon
  5. Smart Summon
But without USS sensors (which is all new Teslas) numbers 3, 4, and 5 are disabled.
Got it, yes. But for me, number one, and number two are all I really care about. Especially number two. And I don’t even use the automated part of that. I just tell it when I want to change lanes with the stock, and the car decides when it’s safe and moves into the other lane. I love that feature so much, and I’m completely addicted to it.

Navigate on autopilot really isn’t very useful for its intended purpose. But what it does for me, and this is important, is decelerate when it’s time to get onto a different highway, prompting me to pay closer attention. I’m often talking on my phone, paying attention to the road, but not paying attention to the navigation. I have navigation audio turned off, because it drives me crazy. So this substitutes for that. I can keep the navigation audio silent, and still be adequately prompted when a turn is coming up.

Reactions: Twiglett
Got it, yes. But for me, number one, and number two are all I really care about. Especially number two. And I don’t even use the automated part of that. I just tell it when I want to change lanes with the stock, and the car decides when it’s safe and moves into the other lane. I love that feature so much, and I’m completely addicted to it.

On general principle, I can’t shell out $6k for an incomplete package (I’d be a buyer at $2k, if you are listening Elon) but in your case where it’s a free transfer it’s a no brainer that I’d do every time.

you are correct. This is my first Tesla so even though I’ve got FSDb for 3 months I can’t test them
It's frustrating for sure, but maybe be comforted that you aren't really missing much :D
My bet is that they aren't building it for USS because it's not great to start with, they're probably making versions that work better as well as using just cameras. Gotta have hope :cool:

It's frustrating for sure, but maybe be comforted that you aren't really missing much :D
My bet is that they aren't building it for USS because it's not great to start with, they're probably making versions that work better as well as using just cameras. Gotta have hope :cool:
I’m hoping the price for EAP comes down…as more teslas are sold it would make sense to lower the price point and sell more EAP at a reduced price, I think/hope.

• Love
Reactions: Twiglett
On general principle, I can’t shell out $6k for an incomplete package (I’d be a buyer at $2k, if you are listening Elon) but in your case where it’s a free transfer it’s a no brainer that I’d do every time.
So in the end it actually is costing me about $2000. I just got an updated trade-in quote from Tesla. After telling me my car was worth $16,300, now it’s worth $14,000 because I’m transferring the full self driving. As much as it’s a pain in the butt, I’m thinking of selling my car to Carmax for $16,000 instead.

So in the end it actually is costing me about $2000. I just got an updated trade-in quote from Tesla. After telling me my car was worth $16,300, now it’s worth $14,000 because I’m transferring the full self driving. As much as it’s a pain in the butt, I’m thinking of selling my car to Carmax for $16,000 instead.
Sell your car on Craigslist. You’ll get a lot more than Carvana or CarMax (and, of course, from Tesla). I sold a 20 year old Prius, for which Tesla offered me $800, and Carvana $1800, for $4,500. I picked up my Model Y on Monday, put the CL ad up on Tuesday, and sold the car on Thursday…

Sell your car on Craigslist. You’ll get a lot more than Carvana or CarMax (and, of course, from Tesla). I sold a 20 year old Prius, for which Tesla offered me $800, and Carvana $1800, for $4,500. I picked up my Model Y on Monday, put the CL ad up on Tuesday, and sold the car on Thursday…
Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure that you are right, and I would greatly benefit from doing that. But it just seems like such an enormous hassle. People not showing up, people lowballing. Deals falling through left and right. I hate to say this, because it sucks, but I think I’m just going to eat the money and trad it in at Tesla. I would love to be convinced not to do this!

Reactions: mborkow
Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure that you are right, and I would greatly benefit from doing that. But it just seems like such an enormous hassle. People not showing up, people lowballing. Deals falling through left and right. I hate to say this, because it sucks, but I think I’m just going to eat the money and trad it in at Tesla. I would love to be convinced not to do this!
I’ve sold two cars on CL and my wife one. You weed out the serious offers from the low ballers over email (no phone calls until we are arranging where to meet). Put it this way: you can always sell your car to Carmax/Carvana, why not throw a $5 ad up on CL and see how it goes for a month…if at the end of the month you still have the car, then go the Carmax/Carvana route. You’ll prob have a few thousand additional $s in your pocket…and if not, well, you aren’t worse off anyway (other than the $5 CL ad)

I have no affiliation with Craigslist; I am not —nor have I ever been— in their employ; just a satisfied customer.

I’ve sold two cars on CL and my wife one. You weed out the serious offers from the low ballers over email (no phone calls until we are arranging where to meet). Put it this way: you can always sell your car to Carmax/Carvana, why not throw a $5 ad up on CL and see how it goes for a month…if at the end of the month you still have the car, then go the Carmax/Carvana route.
I live in the city. Fortunate to have a two car driveway. But I have no other place to put a third car. These are the kinds of realities that I’m facing, in addition to a very busy work life, and three kids that keep me very busy. Tesla ultimately knows this. And that’s why they lowball. What am I going to do? They have me over a barrel! I’m so disillusioned by this entire process, that I really just want to be done with it. They have beat me down!

I live in the city. Fortunate to have a two car driveway. But I have no other place to put a third car. These are the kinds of realities that I’m facing, in addition to a very busy work life, and three kids that keep me very busy. Tesla ultimately knows this. And that’s why they lowball. What am I going to do? They have me over a barrel! I’m so disillusioned by this entire process, that I really just want to be done with it. They have beat me down!
If you aren’t going to sell it yourself, at least see what Carvana/Carmax are offering; both gave me better deals than Tesla did for my trade in and both would have arranged transfer of car (one would have come to my house and the other I had to drop off someplace) within a day or two…that’s what I was going to do but my brother convinced to try CL…and he was right.

If you aren’t going to sell it yourself, at least see what Carvana/Carmax are offering; both gave me better deals than Tesla did for my trade in and both would have arranged transfer of car (one would have come to my house and the other I had to drop off someplace) within a day or two…that’s what I was going to do but my brother convinced to try CL…and he was right.
Carmax is offering me $2000 more than Tesla. The problem is, Tesla is making the full self driving transfer so difficult, I would have to keep my model 3 until the full self driving is transferred. That could take a day or longer that I would own two cars (Both the 3 and the Y while I wait for the transfer.) Ridiculous! Of course, if I trade it in, I don’t have to worry about any of that. Tesla knows this, and is using it to their advantage. They’re completely manipulating the system.

Carmax is offering me $2000 more than Tesla. The problem is, Tesla is making the full self driving transfer so difficult, I would have to keep my model 3 until the full self driving is transferred. That could take a day or longer that I would own two cars (Both the 3 and the Y while I wait for the transfer.) Ridiculous! Of course, if I trade it in, I don’t have to worry about any of that. Tesla knows this, and is using it to their advantage. They’re completely manipulating the system.
Can’t you street park it for a day? Even if you have to pay to put it in a lot for a day, that’s still a lot of extra $ in your pocket