Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real cost of charging the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is correct but it is way less than 95%.
M3 MR vs Chevy Bolt (energy consumption)

Agreed. The maximum possible you will achieve is the 235Wh/mi (what a MR gets per Elon Musk) divided by the EPA sticker of 270Wh/mi (27kWh/100mi). 87%.

So 87% is the best you will do. But that's if you never leave the car except to charge. Due to vampire, it will go down from there, 1% battery usage per day according to Tesla, so for 10k mile/yr, you'll want to add 10% to your result (rough estimate is 250kWh/yr for vampire, which is probably a low estimate).

Reactions: cityberty
I live in San Diego too, I am always in tier 2 so I'd pay $0.25 per KWh if I had EV, coming from the perspective of saving money just get a regular Prius, nothing will beat it, if you get plug in it's better you will need 25 years of 15000 per year probably to break even, if you want performance then you can justify going electric and choose Tesla, I don't have solar in my house, my bill is around $130 a month so I am not paying $15K for solar to save some pennies on gas. You'd be scoring better savings and getting a great deal comparing Model 3 to C63s or M3.

I have just over 2,000 miles on my M3 and this far have spent exactly $3.30 for charging

Yep: I'm bragging ;)

I'll bite... so $3.30 is going to be anywhere from 12kWh to 330kWh at $.26 to $.01 per kWh. That is going to be what ~48 to 1320 miles worth(using 4 miles per kWh for easy math). So I guess my question is, are you using solar to offset your electricity cost, or do you/did you have some free supercharging that offset your cost?

:)

My town has their own utility and we pay $.20kWh. My car has about 12k miles on it - so figure my costs in a year are about $600 (at a rate of 250wh/mi and assuming I don't lose any energy in phantom drain or charging efficiencies). My old Honda Fit got 35mpg, so at a cost of ~$2.80 by me, it would have been about $960 in gas. If I was on a cheaper electric utility and had a more comparable car, that distance would widen.

I'll bite... so $3.30 is going to be anywhere from 12kWh to 330kWh at $.26 to $.01 per kWh. That is going to be what ~48 to 1320 miles worth(using 4 miles per kWh for easy math). So I guess my question is, are you using solar to offset your electricity cost, or do you/did you have some free supercharging that offset your cost?

:)
Special circumstances for me.

I live in a condo and our garage is separated. The circuit for the garage is paid for by the association, so charging at home is free to me. BUT I don't want to push it, so I minimize my home charging.

At work, they installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet for me and I charge for free there.

The $3.30 was a Chargepoint session at a hospital where they only charged $1 per hour for a 27 MPH charge.

Special circumstances for me.

I live in a condo and our garage is separated. The circuit for the garage is paid for by the association, so charging at home is free to me. BUT I don't want to push it, so I minimize my home charging.

At work, they installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet for me and I charge for free there.

The $3.30 was a Chargepoint session at a hospital where they only charged $1 per hour for a 27 MPH charge.

Yeah I figured there was a lot of free in there. You are very fortunate to have all that available.