Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery Health Test Confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So doing some battery tests now that I've owned my Tesla M3 2019 SR+ for 4 years to see how healthy my battery is. I go into service mode and run a successful battery test. The 2019 M3 SR + had an advertised battery size or 50 kWh at 220 miles. The battery test said the battery was 87% healthy with 204 miles at 100 percent charge, with 38 kWh added from 0% charge to 100%.

So doing some math we find out that 204/0.87 = 234.4 miles. So that's about 15 more miles than originally advertised so maybe they made the car more efficient, great but if we check now with something less abstract and more concrete the battery size, 38 kWh / 50 kWh we see a battery health of only 0.76 percent. Or if we do 38 kWh / 0.87 we see that at a battery health of 100 percent we'd see a battery size of 43.6 kWh . So how exactly should I be interpreting these results and where exactly is the inaccuracy here??

I'd expect it to have added about 43kWh worth of charge if the battery size is 50kWh new and the battery health is 87 percent.

Attachments

• PXL_20231025_121353564.MP - Censored.jpg
    PXL_20231025_121353564.MP - Censored.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Screenshot_20231025-073210.png
    Screenshot_20231025-073210.png
    377.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
A few things:
  1. I think you have a Standard Range (not Plus), which has a 51.8? kWh battery (same as SR+ with 240 mile range from that time), but is software locked to 48.3? kWh (to limit the car to a 220 mile range).
  2. From what I've seen, the battery health test just tries to measure nominal full pack and then divides that by full pack when new, so if it says 87%, then it probably means 87% of the full 51.8 kWh, which is 44.8-45.3 kWh depending on rounding (could be 86.5% to 87.4% rounded to 87%). Well, if you do 44.8 kWh / your original locked capacity (48.3 kWh), you get 92.8% of original capacity, and 92.8% of 220 is 204 miles, which is what you said your car displays at 100%, correct? So you might technically have 13% degradation, but 6% of that was capacity that was locked to you anyways, which is why your range is only indicating 7% loss.
  3. I think you can ignore the kWh added... the battery health test doesn't always go to 0%... it just goes low. I've seen it only go down to 10% displayed SOC for some people (or 14% true SOC if you include the buffer).
  4. All of these points could be completely wrong. Maybe try draining down to 0% and charging on your own... if I'm right, you should be able to use and add 42 or 43 kWh (44.8*.955 to account for 4.5% buffer below 0%).

Last edited:
The 2019 M3 SR + had an advertised battery size or 50 kWh at 220 miles.

The 2019 SR+ had 240 miles at a full charge when not degraded, which is 52.5kWh, including the 4.5% buffer. So 219Wh/rmi, or 209Wh/mi displayed (4.5% less).

(To confirm this, verify the rated line in your car is at 219Wh/mi + 5Wh/mi, so 224Wh/mi. You’ll need to “drive to the line” to confirm it. )

So usable was 50.1kWh when new.

The battery test said the battery was 87% healthy with 204 miles at 100 percent charge

Using above constant and the 204rmi@100% number: This means your battery has 44.6kWh of capacity, 42.6kWh usable, with 2kWh buffer. I would call this 85% healthy, not 87%.

The 38kWh added from 0-100% (which would not include the buffer) doesn’t make a lot of sense. But: I’m not sure I really trust the capacity test since we have no idea what the denominator is. So not sure we should trust added energy either.

If you want to verify your capacity, do some long metered drives (using trip meter and not spending any time in park!) and see how close it comes to the above. As usual, the rated range at 100% is just an estimate (quite a good one) and what you get for an actual drive is what matters.

Is there another way I can calculate this? I know my car is rated at 333 miles. A charge to 100% tells me my range is 332 miles. Is my degradation 332/333 or .05%? Let’s pretend my SOC is 38%. If I multiply 333 x .38 you get 126 miles which is exactly what shows on my car at 38%. Are these valid methods to check battery degradation? Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
Is there another way I can calculate this? I know my car is rated at 333 miles. A charge to 100% tells me my range is 332 miles. Is my degradation 332/333 or .05%? Let’s pretend my SOC is 38%. If I multiply 333 x .38 you get 126 miles which is exactly what shows on my car at 38%. Are these valid methods to check battery degradation? Thanks
What a great idea! This is my new "go to". Thank you sir! I just did the math w/ my 2023 MYP. Sitting at 57% saying 172 miles. 0.57 x 303 = 172!

Reactions: KenBlub
A few things:
  1. I think you have a Standard Range (not Plus), which has a 51.8? kWh battery (same as SR+ with 240 mile range from that time), but is software locked to 48.3? kWh (to limit the car to a 220 mile range).
  2. From what I've seen, the battery health test just tries to measure nominal full pack and then divides that by full pack when new, so if it says 87%, then it probably means 87% of the full 51.8 kWh, which is 44.8-45.3 kWh depending on rounding (could be 86.5% to 87.4% rounded to 87%). Well, if you do 44.8 kWh / your original locked capacity (48.3 kWh), you get 92.8% of original capacity, and 92.8% of 220 is 204 miles, which is what you said your car displays at 100%, correct? So you might technically have 13% degradation, but 6% of that was capacity that was locked to you anyways, which is why your range is only indicating 7% loss.
  3. I think you can ignore the kWh added... the battery health test doesn't always go to 0%... it just goes low. I've seen it only go down to 10% displayed SOC for some people (or 14% true SOC if you include the buffer).
  4. All of these points could be completely wrong. Maybe try draining down to 0% and charging on your own... if I'm right, you should be able to use and add 42 or 43 kWh (44.8*.955 to account for 4.5% buffer below 0%).
My Tesla App says I have a Plus as it says Standard Range Plus. Does that mean i should have access to more of the battery than I currently do?

In your video you say the 204 miles at 100% value in your OP again. So that means you have 204mi*218.8Wh/mi = 44.6kWh. You can use the sticky to get the same answer if you wish. Maybe just show the energy screen calculations so we can confirm.

Your Tezlab and the car (in your video) say it added 38kWh. Which is high by 4.7% 1/0.955, as we all know (it is not a measure of energy added - it is a measure of the delta in rated miles from beginning of charge to end (it doesn’t count energy use during the charge), multiplied by the charge constant (about 219Wh/mi for your car)) . So it added 36.3kWh, or about 174 rated miles (174mi*218.8Wh/mi*0.955 is 36.3kWh). So it probably charged from 15%. (You can do the math on that. Ok I will. 174/204 = 0.85.)

And why do you think you have an SR?

And why do you think you have a 50kWh battery when it is well established that it is a 52.5kWh degradation threshold (and they got 54.5kWh in the EPA test so that seems good enough)?

And why are you asking what the reserve energy at 0% is? It is well established that it is 4.5% of your current nominal full pack.

No one knows what the health check does. For your car it seems to be assuming the starting energy was 44.6kWh/0.87 = 51.3kWh.

I have no idea why Tesla would use the wrong value, but it is what it is.

I’d say you have loss of 15-18% depending on the start point. (Assuming you have an SR+ which may be wrong.)

I think if you got to 70% of the EPA, so 54.5kWh*0.7 = 38kWh then you’d have an argument. They would argue but you could make that claim. But that is going to happen at 174 miles at a full charge, so you’re likely not going to get there before your battery just fails.

If you do have an SR, you can just use the same constant and use 220mi and 48.1kWh (or 50kWh if you want to go by EPA) as the start point. No worries at all if you have an SR - you are doing great (just ~7%-~11% loss).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
In your video you say the 204 miles at 100% value in your OP again. So that means you have 204mi*218.8Wh/mi = 44.6kWh. You can use the sticky to get the same answer if you wish. Maybe just show the energy screen calculations so we can confirm.

Your Tezlab and the car (in your video) say it added 38kWh. Which is high by 4.7% 1/0.955, as we all know (it is not a measure of energy added - it is a measure of the delta in rated miles from beginning of charge to end (it doesn’t count energy use during the charge), multiplied by the charge constant (about 219Wh/mi for your car)) . So it added 36.3kWh, or about 174 rated miles (174mi*218.8Wh/mi*0.955 is 36.3kWh). So it probably charged from 15%. (You can do the math on that. Ok I will. 174/204 = 0.85.)

And why do you think you have an SR?

And why do you think you have a 50kWh battery when it is well established that it is a 52.5kWh degradation threshold (and they got 54.5kWh in the EPA test so that seems good enough)?

And why are you asking what the reserve energy at 0% is? It is well established that it is 4.5% of your current nominal full pack.

No one knows what the health check does. For your car it seems to be assuming the starting energy was 44.6kWh/0.87 = 51.3kWh.

I have no idea why Tesla would use the wrong value, but it is what it is.

I’d say you have loss of 15-18% depending on the start point. (Assuming you have an SR+ which may be wrong.)

I think if you got to 70% of the EPA, so 54.5kWh*0.7 = 38kWh then you’d have an argument. They would argue but you could make that claim. But that is going to happen at 174 miles at a full charge, so you’re likely not going to get there before your battery just fails.

If you do have an SR, you can just use the same constant and use 220mi and 48.1kWh (or 50kWh if you want to go by EPA) as the start point. No worries at all if you have an SR - you are doing great (just ~7%-~11% loss).
Attached are what I think you are asking for and it's as they are now, not during the time of OP.

Can you share how you know the information you know regarding the it's showing the delta not what's added?

I think there are too many maybes aka guess work involved in something so essential and backed by a warranty to warrant some sort of change in how battery state/health is communicated, ideally change to remove the guess work and make things transparent.

For example, maybe they could display the exact amount of electrical energy transfer to the battery during each charge session, including accounting for energy used for battery, temperature management and other ancillary processes during charging. So we know exactly how the energy is spent.

Real time state of health metrics indicating the current health of the battery compared to its original capacity

Detailed cell level diagnostics

More robust and detailed historical data.

Assuming SR is the same as SR Plus, I know I have the SR Plus because it says so in my Tesla app.

Tesla sent me here to get information on the battery of my car 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus RWD - Specifications and price

When I asked them is this an official Tesla resource? They said it isn't but it's what they have on file and that I could trust the information there.

I'm asking what the reserve energy is at 0% because I want to hear it straight from Tesla what it is. A bit ironic that you're saying it's well-established what it is, but Tesla can't tell me what it is and it seems essential to figuring out what the loss of the battery capacity is. If you don't really know what the battery capacity is or have any way to measure to figure it out accurately. Its like 0% isn't 0, 100% isn't 100%, range isn't real range, everything they show us is the relative/subjective information, nothing objective which is essential.

As far as nobody knows what health check does, that's also really big red flag. They use that battery check to figure out if your for battery is serviceable/ replaceable under warranty. It's incredibly essential that this is understood and accurate for leveraging battery warranty (if not just in general good to know)

As far as having an argument here, I'm just trying to get clear information on the state of my battery for my car in an unambiguous accurate way. You can call that an argument but I'm just trying to understand things especially crucial things for an expensive part that has a warranty.

So far it seems like every answer I've gotten has been an honest I don't know or guess work.

Attachments

• PXL_20240111_024912285.jpg
    PXL_20240111_024912285.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20240111_024909126.jpg
    PXL_20240111_024909126.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20240111_024905155.jpg
    PXL_20240111_024905155.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20240111_024858589.jpg
    PXL_20240111_024858589.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Funny
Can you share how you know the information you know regarding the it's showing the delta not what's added?

You can verify yourself. Set the Amp limit to 4A or something so you can only get 1kW of charging, then run the heat on MAX for 15-30 minutes. That should take a couple kWh and reduce the number by that much. You can also just switch to miles and then you can see the miles added reduce pretty quickly. It's just looking at net energy added.

As far as the 4.5% off part, it just is what it is. It can be determined empirically through observation, or you can use ScanMyTesla and compare, to be definitive.

Attached are what I think you are asking for and it's as they are now, not during the time of OP.

You're missing the % and miles (important unless at 100% which you're not) unless somehow they were cut off during the posting process. Just see the sticky. Instant range is meaningless, delete those! You really just need the % but posting one with the rated miles is helpful for other reasons.

I think there are too many maybes aka guess work involved in something so essential and backed by a warranty to warrant some sort of change in how battery state/health is communicated, ideally change to remove the guess work and make things transparent.

Yeah, if you read around this forum you'll see plenty of hard data-backed evidence of how all this works. There's not really any ambiguity, it's all pretty well understood and you can also determine it empirically if you wish. I encourage people to read how it works then go do the observations themselves to confirm once they understand the basic framework.

Assuming SR is the same as SR Plus, I know I have the SR Plus because it says so in my Tesla app.
They're not the same. The SR is a software locked version of the SR Plus which has 91.7% of the energy.

You have an SR+, great.

For example, maybe they could display the exact amount of electrical energy transfer to the battery during each charge session, including accounting for energy used for battery, temperature management and other ancillary processes during charging. So we know exactly how the energy is spent.

Real time state of health metrics indicating the current health of the battery compared to its original capacity

Detailed cell level diagnostics

More robust and detailed historical data.

Sure it would be nice. Owners have a lot more info than they used to. SMT would help you with this if you want. But you won't learn much more about your battery than you already know.

I'm asking what the reserve energy is at 0% because I want to hear it straight from Tesla what it is. A bit ironic that you're saying it's well-established what it is, but Tesla can't tell me what it is

Yeah, this is not uncommon. To know this, you need to have SMT to know it definitively. You can also determine it empirically if you look at energy usage and you compare it to information gleaned on your actual pack capacity. But honestly SMT is in the end required to "ground" these observations. When I (and many others independently) figured this out in 2019, in the end I had to get data from someone with SMT to verify that I was right about how it worked.

But you can trust the sources here as long as you listen to the right sources.

Most of the Tesla customer-facing side doesn't know how this stuff works, so they're not a good source usually.

If you don't really know what the battery capacity is or have any way to measure to figure it out accurately. Its like 0% isn't 0, 100% isn't 100%, range isn't real range, everything they show us is the relative/subjective information, nothing objective which is essential.

I mean, no need to be nihilistic about it. I understand the frustration but just listen to the people here.

As far as having an argument here, I'm just trying to get clear information on the state of my battery for my car in an unambiguous accurate way. You can call that an argument but I'm just trying to understand things especially crucial things for an expensive part that has a warranty.
No argument, and understood the importance. The kWh capacity of the pack is critically important.
So far it seems like every answer I've gotten has been an honest I don't know or guess work.
Yeah from Tesla I agree. Fortunately here there are no guesses, unless specifically noted as such.

Summary is:
1) Your car has 204 rated miles out of the original 240 miles. (This is just the BMS estimate, it could be off by a few %, and it can go up and down.). It's the best estimate in the world of your pack's capacity and what is used to determine when to shut down the vehicle.
2) This means your car has 44.6kWh including the buffer (use the sticky if you want to confirm). Usable is 42.6kWh. Your buffer is 2kWh.
3) Your car started with around 52.5kWh to 54.5kWh, probably, but we'll never know for your specific car.
4) The EPA test article started with 54.5kWh. That's the one they established the range with. I think it's reasonable to use this as the warranty comparison number.
5) You're nowhere near the 168 rated miles (36.8kWh) you need for a warranty claim (arguably 174 miles (54.5kWh*0.7= 38.2kWh). You almost certainly won't get there before the battery fails for other reasons (possibly outside of warranty).

Your loss of 15-18% is a bit on the high side but not unusual for the SR+ from what I have seen.

Battery test showing 13% loss seems to be in the ballpark. I have no idea what it is measuring - I would guess it measures the capacity pretty accurately, but it doesn't show you that. Obviously the % is just determined by the denominator, and there's no reason they need to use the correct value for that (no, it doesn't matter for a serious warranty claim). And that would not be something they could measure so they just have to pick something. Looks like they use about 51kWh. Kind of close to 95.5% of 54.5kWh but who knows.

Last edited:
  • Informative
My Tesla App says I have a Plus as it says Standard Range Plus. Does that mean i should have access to more of the battery than I currently do?
If you have a Standard Range Plus then you should have shown about 240 miles for a 100% charge when the car was new. Is that what you saw?
If you only showed about 220 miles when the car was new, you have a Standard Range where a certain percentage of your battery capacity was locked out, and would still be locked out today. In that case, the app that says SR+ would be incorrect.

SMT readings would be able to verify that if you are not sure. Which car you have obviously makes a big difference in how much battery degradation you actually have.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
You can verify yourself. Set the Amp limit to 4A or something so you can only get 1kW of charging, then run the heat on MAX for 15-30 minutes. That should take a couple kWh and reduce the number by that much. You can also just switch to miles and then you can see the miles added reduce pretty quickly. It's just looking at net energy added.

As far as the 4.5% off part, it just is what it is. It can be determined empirically through observation, or you can use ScanMyTesla and compare, to be definitive.

You're missing the % and miles (important unless at 100% which you're not) unless somehow they were cut off during the posting process. Just see the sticky. Instant range is meaningless, delete those! You really just need the % but posting one with the rated miles is helpful for other reasons.

Yeah, if you read around this forum you'll see plenty of hard data-backed evidence of how all this works. There's not really any ambiguity, it's all pretty well understood and you can also determine it empirically if you wish. I encourage people to read how it works then go do the observations themselves to confirm once they understand the basic framework.

They're not the same. The SR is a software locked version of the SR Plus which has 91.7% of the energy.

You have an SR+, great.

Sure it would be nice. Owners have a lot more info than they used to. SMT would help you with this if you want. But you won't learn much more about your battery than you already know.

Yeah, this is not uncommon. To know this, you need to have SMT to know it definitively. You can also determine it empirically if you look at energy usage and you compare it to information gleaned on your actual pack capacity. But honestly SMT is in the end required to "ground" these observations. When I (and many others independently) figured this out in 2019, in the end I had to get data from someone with SMT to verify that I was right about how it worked.

But you can trust the sources here as long as you listen to the right sources.

Most of the Tesla customer-facing side doesn't know how this stuff works, so they're not a good source usually.

I mean, no need to be nihilistic about it. I understand the frustration but just listen to the people here.

No argument, and understood the importance. The kWh capacity of the pack is critically important.

Yeah from Tesla I agree. Fortunately here there are no guesses, unless specifically noted as such.

Summary is:
1) Your car has 204 rated miles out of the original 240 miles. (This is just the BMS estimate, it could be off by a few %, and it can go up and down.). It's the best estimate in the world of your pack's capacity and what is used to determine when to shut down the vehicle.
2) This means your car has 44.6kWh including the buffer (use the sticky if you want to confirm). Usable is 42.6kWh. Your buffer is 2kWh.
3) Your car started with around 52.5kWh to 54.5kWh, probably, but we'll never know for your specific car.
4) The EPA test article started with 54.5kWh. That's the one they established the range with. I think it's reasonable to use this as the warranty comparison number.
5) You're nowhere near the 168 rated miles (36.8kWh) you need for a warranty claim (arguably 174 miles (54.5kWh*0.7= 38.2kWh). You almost certainly won't get there before the battery fails for other reasons (possibly outside of warranty).

Your loss of 15-18% is a bit on the high side but not unusual for the SR+ from what I have seen.

Battery test showing 13% loss seems to be in the ballpark. I have no idea what it is measuring - I would guess it measures the capacity pretty accurately, but it doesn't show you that. Obviously the % is just determined by the denominator, and there's no reason they need to use the correct value for that (no, it doesn't matter for a serious warranty claim). And that would not be something they could measure so they just have to pick something. Looks like they use about 51kWh. Kind of close to 95.5% of 54.5kWh but who knows.
If you have a Standard Range Plus then you should have shown about 240 miles for a 100% charge when the car was new. Is that what you saw?
If you only showed about 220 miles when the car was new, you have a Standard Range where a certain percentage of your battery capacity was locked out, and would still be locked out today. In that case, the app that says SR+ would be incorrect.

SMT readings would be able to verify that if you are not sure. Which car you have obviously makes a big difference in how much battery degradation you actually have.
At work so want to respond in more detail but regarding one question my batter is at 86% with 176 miles for those pictures I posted earlier.

In regards to my battery showing 220 at launch for an SR+ I honestly can't recall. 225 sounds like what I recall seeing. My app totally shows SR+.
The Tesla service people couldn't even tell me based on any internal document what the battery size or range should be and sent me to this URL 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus RWD - Specifications and price which suggests 250 mile range which is not something I ever recall seeing.

The difficulty in assessing this information is a huge red flag, it should not be this hard or wish-washy it should be well established and easy information to find out.

Seems like I'll have to make another call and ask them. They would probably just tell me yeah it for sure had that range but I'm pretty sure it never did on launch for me.

In regards to my battery showing 220 at launch for an SR+ I honestly can't recall. 225 sounds like what I recall seeing. My app totally shows SR+.

They would probably just tell me yeah it for sure had that range but I'm pretty sure it never did on launch for me.
There are examples of vehicles that started below 240 miles. No idea whether it was an estimate issue and they recovered or they just got some low capacity cell lots (not cool but I could see trying to let it slide - risky if the EPA audits with one of those vehicles - I don’t know what is the allowed tolerance).

Anyway sounds like 15-18% loss assuming it did start with 240. That’s perhaps 5-8% worse than normal. But you live in a hot area and if the car gets hot above 55% SOC it is going to lose a lot of capacity.

I would guess it was just an initially lower pack capacity. 225 would mean 49.2kWh to start with.

regarding one question my batter is at 86% with 176 miles for those pictures I posted earlier.
About 44.8kWh then.

it should not be this hard or wish-washy it should be well established and easy information to find out.
Well established, not wish-washy.

Tesla service people couldn't even tell me based on any internal document what the battery size or range should be and sent me to this URL 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus RWD - Specifications and price which suggests 250 mile range which is not something I ever recall seein
This is incorrect, as expected - the source is Tesla Service (as we know, they don’t know much about these aspects of the vehicles - I would not attempt to ask them to provide any specific information).

Just use the government website.

They (Tesla Service) should not be sending you to a third-party website with incorrect information. (Note that just because virtually every source is wrong does not mean it is hard to get the correct information! It’s nearly all publicly available from the government.)

Seems like I'll have to make another call and ask them
I wouldn’t bother and waste your time. You probably have all the information you need here.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
There are examples of vehicles that started below 240 miles. No idea whether it was an estimate issue and they recovered or they just got some low capacity cell lots (not cool but I could see trying to let it slide - risky if the EPA audits with one of those vehicles - I don’t know what is the allowed tolerance).

Anyway sounds like 15-18% loss assuming it did start with 240. That’s perhaps 5-8% worse than normal. But you live in a hot area and if the car gets hot above 55% SOC it is going to lose a lot of capacity.

I would guess it was just an initially lower pack capacity. 225 would mean 49.2kWh to start with.

About 44.8kWh then.

Well established, not wish-washy.

This is incorrect, as expected - the source is Tesla Service (as we know, they don’t know much about these aspects of the vehicles - I would not attempt to ask them to provide any specific information).

Just use the government website.

They (Tesla Service) should not be sending you to a third-party website with incorrect information. (Note that just because virtually every source is wrong does not mean it is hard to get the correct information! It’s nearly all publicly available from the government.)

I wouldn’t bother and waste your time. You probably have all the information you need here.

Knowing tolerances seems vital as well.
EPA Audit? I'm more curious if I got the wrong batter than what I was supposed to.

I can appreciate the guess work in so far as a community effort but its really annoying to have to do that and Tesla should be the people to call to not have to do guess work.

I'm confused by this notion well-established? There is clearly elements of guessing, so what exactly are the well established aspects? And shouldn't Tesla services reps be aware of these well established notions?

I don't find it comforting to state casually that "they don't know much about these aspects of the vehicles"

I don't see anything about range there but I do see
Electric Motor/Battery Additional Information211 kW AC 3-Phase
Time to Charge Battery9.5 hrs at 240V
(standard charger)

I agree they should not be sending me to third party sites. I found that sketch among this whole process.

There is clearly elements of guessing, so what exactly are the well established aspects
Not really. Just look at the direct CAN bus data if you want actual information. That is what the car uses. It’s not filtered. Not really any guessing. Results are repeatable, by different people.
And shouldn't Tesla services reps be aware of these well established notions?
No. They are just workers, usually shorter term. This is not their engineering team. They don’t need to know anything about this info - it’s not important for them. If the battery needs to be replaced they will replace it.

Knowing tolerances seems vital as well.
EPA Audit? I'm more curious if I got the wrong batter than what I was supposed to.
Sure but those are government rules. Never have dug them up.

You have the right battery. It’s likely fully unlocked if you have very limited regen at 100% (basically zero). (I say this because I suppose there is a tiny chance your battery is locked to SR range but this is unlikely and also knowable, using above.)

• Informative
Not really. Just look at the direct CAN bus data if you want actual information. That is what the car uses. It’s not filtered. Not really any guessing. Results are repeatable, by different people.

No. They are just workers, usually shorter term. This is not their engineering team. They don’t need to know anything about this info - it’s not important for them. If the battery needs to be replaced they will replace it.

Sure but those are government rules. Never have dug them up.

You have the right battery. It’s likely fully unlocked if you have very limited regen at 100% (basically zero). (I say this because I suppose there is a tiny chance your battery is locked to SR range but this is unlikely and also knowable, using above.)
Any tool best suited to checking out all the actual battery information from CAN bus that is reliable you can recommend me to purchase?

Any tool best suited to checking out all the actual battery information from CAN bus that is reliable you can recommend me to purchase?
No, I don’t use it. Plenty around here do and can give details on the harness adapter and what software to use. Many people use ScanMyTesla but there are alternatives I think.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC