Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real life experience with Xcelerate warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone purchased and used the Xcelerate warranty?

I'm deciding on which route to take with a Tesla purchase. Buying from a dealer or third party would limit the warranty options to Xcelerate. I'm hesitant since it doesn't seem anyone has purchased, used, and reviewed what they offer. I have spoken with the reps a few times and they seem pleasant and knowledgeable enough, but 5k is a lot for a warranty for a product that hasn't been proven.

I'm debating between a 2016 90D with 25k miles, or a 2016-2017 100D which would cost at least 12k more, or just wait for the new "million mile" battery. I don't need a car right now. If buying a 2016/2017 outside of Tesla to get the supercharging, Xcelerate seems like the only option.

Have any of you purchased this product? Have any of you used it?

Yes - purchased last fall along with my '15 S85D. I put over 30k miles on it since then. Last month an apparently bad plug connection in the trunk caused the MCU to lose it's mind, bricking my baby.

Dealing with Xcelerate was a joy, starting with recovery which they would have arranged and covered directly had not AAA found a flatbed first (no MCU = no tow mode) on a Friday afternoon. I couldn't fault them for not covering the MCU2 upgrade I elected - they only subtracted the price difference though, and paid the agreed portion...full labor etc - over the phone when I collected the car. And sent me a check for the allowed 5 days rental. At no point did they show any inclination to nickel-and-dime me.

Simply no negatives to report. Except maybe that they operate limited business hours...Mon-Fri only

Good to hear, thanks!

FIRST POST and its a raving shill for the company? i'm no sherlock, but look at the way post is written.. complete with letting you know when business hours are :rolleyes::rolleyes: my bull$hit radar is going insane right now.

also i've never heard of a "bad plug connection in the trunk caused the MCU to lose it's mind, bricking my baby" what connection in the trunk caused the MCU to brick? that has never happened to anyones car.. ever?

i havent heard of anyone on the forum actually buying and then actually USING the warranty, and considering the company just tried to shill their product sounds pretty rotten.. thats a hard pass from me, bob.

Last edited:
Cookie I see your point...but wrong. I took the opportunity to answer the question put, honestly, based on my experience. On the business hours: If you need help outside of 8-5 weekdays you are out of luck. For the rest it is all good.

The diagnosis and repair took 2 weeks it was so odd. Finally tracked to a bad/loose plug on the trunk controller that somehow killed the MCU. Or the MCU coincidentally died that same moment. After swapping out the MCU the issue in the trunk was traced and that plug re-pinned. The cost was covered except for the MCU1/2 differential.

And...well..yes, first post. I didn't have anything to contribute until now :)

Cookie I see your point...but wrong. I took the opportunity to answer the question put, honestly, based on my experience. On the business hours: If you need help outside of 8-5 weekdays you are out of luck. For the rest it is all good.

The diagnosis and repair took 2 weeks it was so odd. Finally tracked to a bad/loose plug on the trunk controller that somehow killed the MCU. Or the MCU coincidentally died that same moment. After swapping out the MCU the issue in the trunk was traced and that plug re-pinned. The cost was covered except for the MCU1/2 differential.

And...well..yes, first post. I didn't have anything to contribute until now :)

Ok first of all, theres no such thing as a "bad/loose plug" killing the MCU, so i know your story about them tracing it to the trunk and re-pinning it is a load of croak.

your MCU coincidentally dying IS plausible, but you probably shouldn't have added that you upgraded to the MCU2 and xcelerate just didn't pay the difference.. there is currently no way to upgrade to MCU2 when your MCU1 dies, plenty have tried on this forum but everyone is only given the option to get a refurb or new MCU1, so the fact that you somehow got an MCU2 after your MCU1 died is... 100% not possible (at this moment) ;)

Last edited:
The option I was given was to wait patiently for MCU1 or pay to upgrade. Sorry the cynicism is getting tiresome so attached...
Image-0027.jpg

because currently no way to upgrade to MCU2 when your MCU1 dies, plenty have tried on this forum but everyone is only given the option to get a refurb or new MCU1

Really? They don’t let you buy the $2k MCU upgrade they are offering if you want it when your MCU1 fails? Especially once out of warranty? That seems very odd.

Reactions: pilotSteve and QUBO
Sorry the cynicism is getting tiresome so attached...

Sorry your first posts were questioned, it gets a little weird here sometimes. I have heard Xcelerate has good customer service, so I was appreciative of your report of actual experiences. I go out of my factory warranty and into my Xcelerate one shortly. Welcome to the forum!!

Ok first of all, theres no such thing as a "bad/loose plug" killing the MCU, so i know your story about them tracing it to the trunk and re-pinning it is a load of croak.

your MCU coincidentally dying IS plausible, but you probably shouldn't have added that you upgraded to the MCU2 and xcelerate just didn't pay the difference.. there is currently no way to upgrade to MCU2 when your MCU1 dies, plenty have tried on this forum but everyone is only given the option to get a refurb or new MCU1, so the fact that you somehow got an MCU2 after your MCU1 died is... 100% not possible (at this moment) ;)

You are completely out of line. Check yourself, before you wreck yourself.

When your MCU1 dies, Tesla DOES give the option of the owner paying out of pocket for the upgrade to MCU2 for $2500. Sometimes they offer to take off $250 from that cost, if you allow them to reuse your existing MCU1 glass.

The only time the offer to go to MCU2 isnt made, is when the car is in the service center, it's diagnosed as a failed MCU1, and no MCU2 replacement units, have been available at that particular time and their only option to fix your car/get it back to you in a timely manner, is to fix/restore MCU1 level functionality.

The option I was given was to wait patiently for MCU1 or pay to upgrade. Sorry the cynicism is getting tiresome so attached... View attachment 580481

Well played @LynnR — great feedback!

You are completely out of line. Check yourself, before you wreck yourself.

I accept that i was wrong and i was out of line. it was just a bit odd for a first post but thanks for the proof, that does sound like good news then!! :):)

since the Tesla Tech wasn't inclined to call the number on the warranty card, the Xcelerate agent called me at the pickup time, paying their portion by CC over the phone.

I always wondered how this would work in practice with Tesla being most likely a PITA about dealing with a 3rd party direct. Did you just set up a time with the Xcare rep as to when they would need to call you?

Reactions: pilotSteve
I always wondered how this would work in practice with Tesla being most likely a PITA about dealing with a 3rd party direct. Did you just set up a time with the Xcare rep as to when they would need to call you?

Yes - I called the dedicated claim agent as I arrived (leaving a message) and she returned my call a few mins later. She had explained they very much prefer to pay direct that way over cutting a check later. Tesla guy had said previously they would have no dealing with 3rd party warranty due to past 'check is in the mail' syndrome, so the plan worked well. The guy only had to figure out how to process a split payment for the first time. Which he did, with good grace.