Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real life experience with Xcelerate warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I would post about this... Some service centers (Cleveland) have started charging an additional hour of diagnosis once you tell them you have X-Care. Their logic is the extra detail that X-Care needs before approving claims creates more work for them. And unless someone could chime in otherwise, I don't think X-Care covers the diagnostic fees.
I have a $100 deductible that has efftively now become $300 for each service visit. I still recommend X-Care but this new development stings a bit.
That is interesting. I assume if you have Tesla’s extended warranty, that would not happen - right?

I am approaching 50,000 on my 2021 Model S LR and considering the Tesla extended warranty. Although, I drive so much, it is probably not worth it and from what I read it does not fully extend everything from their original warranty. Considering X-Care too.

I am probably best just self insuring myself or selling my Model S and getting another new one. Although my Model S has been a great car so far.

FYI - I am in Cleveland too and they are an excellent service center.

That is interesting. I assume if you have Tesla’s extended warranty, that would not happen - right?

I do believe that's correct. Tesla would not charge the diagnostic fee if you had the Tesla extended warranty. I love my Tesla but my God has it been a lemon for me. I personally would recommend using Tesla's own extended warranty, then get X-Care the moment it expires. X-Care has probably saved me nearing $3k or $4k at this point (that's AFTER factoring in the cost of their warranty) so I cant be too salty about the diagnostic fee. It just sucks Tesla only adds this $200 fee because of X-Care.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! This seems to only be an issue at your specific service center since this is not something we have seen anywhere else. We are currently looking into this further and would be eager to know if anyone else has experienced this.
*XCare does cover diagnostics if it ends with a covered repair. If no components actually failed then it would not be covered.

If your specific service center is abusing your situation, then do not inform them you will be using XCare so they don't overcharge you. A diagnostics fee is the accessed time to determine the issue. This seems like poor practice by the service center if this is the case unfortunately.
Please report any issues such as these to us [email protected]

Thank you!

Team XCare

Last edited:
*XCare does cover diagnostics if it ends with a covered repair. If no components actually failed then it would not be covered.

Oh this is good to know then. I will edit my original post with this new information. (edit: trying to edit but site isn't allowing me. I have contacted admins to assist with correcting.)

If your specific service center is abusing your situation, then do not inform them you will be using XCare so they don't overcharge you. A diagnostics fee is the accessed time to determine the issue. This seems like poor practice by the service center if this is the case unfortunately.
Please report any issues such as these to us [email protected]

Thank you!

Team XCare
Noted. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: XCare EV
So hoping I wouldn’t have to use my xcare warranty but I must say I’m already disappointed and planning on just getting a prorated refund. I was hoping the warranty would give me the peace of mind I needed to keep my 2018 model X with 47000 Miles for a couple more years but since my first claim was rejected I think I’m just going to get rid of the Tesla and the extended warranty too.

Had my xcare claim approved ahead of service, got quote had that approved for a very minor repair for the windshield wiper control module. (Wipers weren’t working on all settings). Tried to have xcare pay the service center directly but Telsa service center forgot to fill out the odometer reading on the invoice so I sent a screenshot of the mileage from the app while the car was still sitting in the service center showing the odometer reading and I promptly sent to both the Tesla service center and xcare.

Not sure about other Tesla service centers but the one in Raleigh is horrendous. Got a note from the service center that he wasted already too much time on the phone with xcare and he couldn’t waste anymore time with trying to get payment directly even though all they needed was the odometer reading(guess it was too much to ask to walk out to the car in their parking lot to get the odometer reading). Ok no problem, called xcare myself to just make sure it would be ok if I got reimbursement directly since the service center wasn’t being cooperative or xcare wasn’t being cooperative or maybe both. They told me verbally no problem and also via email for me to just send them a copy of paid invoice and xcare would reimburse me directly.
Paid Tesla myself, sent the invoice into xcare and they rejected for the same reason just because the odometer reading wasn’t filled out on the top of the invoice by the sloppy service tech who worked on my car. I’ve tried to go back to tesla service center to make them give me an updated invoice with the odometer reading filled out and I just getting ghosted by them.

I’m just pissed that xcare will accept your odometer reading from a screenshot to sell you the warranty at the beginning but then won’t accept a screenshot of the odometer reading for a claim. All because someone at Tesla service couldn’t take 5 extra seconds to do their job and properly document the odometer reading during the service.

Seems very nit-picky way to reject a claim so just buyer beware putting much faith in this warranty company paying out claims.

• Disagree
Reactions: EarlyM3Owner
So hoping I wouldn’t have to use my xcare warranty but I must say I’m already disappointed and planning on just getting a prorated refund. I was hoping the warranty would give me the peace of mind I needed to keep my 2018 model X with 47000 Miles for a couple more years but since my first claim was rejected I think I’m just going to get rid of the Tesla and the extended warranty too.

Had my xcare claim approved ahead of service, got quote had that approved for a very minor repair for the windshield wiper control module. (Wipers weren’t working on all settings). Tried to have xcare pay the service center directly but Telsa service center forgot to fill out the odometer reading on the invoice so I sent a screenshot of the mileage from the app while the car was still sitting in the service center showing the odometer reading and I promptly sent to both the Tesla service center and xcare.

Not sure about other Tesla service centers but the one in Raleigh is horrendous. Got a note from the service center that he wasted already too much time on the phone with xcare and he couldn’t waste anymore time with trying to get payment directly even though all they needed was the odometer reading(guess it was too much to ask to walk out to the car in their parking lot to get the odometer reading). Ok no problem, called xcare myself to just make sure it would be ok if I got reimbursement directly since the service center wasn’t being cooperative or xcare wasn’t being cooperative or maybe both. They told me verbally no problem and also via email for me to just send them a copy of paid invoice and xcare would reimburse me directly.
Paid Tesla myself, sent the invoice into xcare and they rejected for the same reason just because the odometer reading wasn’t filled out on the top of the invoice by the sloppy service tech who worked on my car. I’ve tried to go back to tesla service center to make them give me an updated invoice with the odometer reading filled out and I just getting ghosted by them.

I’m just pissed that xcare will accept your odometer reading from a screenshot to sell you the warranty at the beginning but then won’t accept a screenshot of the odometer reading for a claim. All because someone at Tesla service couldn’t take 5 extra seconds to do their job and properly document the odometer reading during the service.

Seems very nit-picky way to reject a claim so just buyer beware putting much faith in this warranty company paying out claims.
I think you're in the minority here. X-Care has paid out quite a few claims for my lemon. I think the blame here lies solely on your service center for not filling out a basic piece of information on the invoice that is normally included (and is on all of mine). I would imagine X-Care needs this information to be sure they aren't paying for an old repair that was completed before the warranty took effect.

If it is that hard to get them to pay for stuff, then I will be skipping buying it from them too. Will either get the Tesla extended warranty, pass on the warranty and self insure myself or just sell my Model S before my current warranty expires. Should be simple. Hoping yours is in an isolated experience, but that does worry me about external warranties and not mfg ones. Just wish Tesla had a longer extended warranty and it covered everything like original warranty. Most euro mfg’s do that.

Hey all,
A very frustrating situation indeed and we apologize for the disheartening and frustrating info. Tesla service is currently experiencing a glitch in their system that we were actually able to point out to them. Their automated system is not generating in or out milage for vehicles going into service, which was not pulling the odometer into the invoice/estimate. This is something very important to verify our XCare claims and for customer record keeping.

That being said we have already been able to pivot and solve for this by accepting screenshots of your app or software screen at time for service so our team can validate odometer. (Another reason we love Tesla- they really do speak for themselves). We had to create this workaround due to an internal bug within Tesla's service system.

Rest assured all of these recent claims with odometer discrepancies are being addressed by our XCare team.
To be VERY CLEAR - we have NEVER rejected a claim due to this glitch of not having odometer on the invoice. We just need to prove to our underwriters that coverage was eligible so we can process reimbursement. We are just working to correct an issue within Tesla to get all of our members made whole.

Good news is, as of yesterday, it looks like the most recent estimates that customers have been getting now Includes odometer. Thank you for your understanding as we work on getting the correct information to process reimbursement.

-Team XCare

Last edited:
Reactions: Kairide and MP3Mike
I think you're in the minority here. X-Care has paid out quite a few claims for my lemon. I think the blame here lies solely on your service center for not filling out a basic piece of information on the invoice that is normally included (and is on all of mine). I would imagine X-Care needs this information to be sure they aren't paying for an old repair that was completed before the warranty took effect.

Hey all,
A very frustrating situation indeed and we apologize for the disheartening and frustrating info. Tesla service is currently experiencing a glitch in their system that we were actually able to point out to them. Their automated system is not generating in or out milage for vehicles going into service, which was not pulling the odometer into the invoice/estimate. This is something very important to verify our XCare claims and for customer record keeping.

That being said we have already been able to pivot and solve for this by accepting screenshots of your app or software screen at time for service so our team can validate odometer. (Another reason we love Tesla- they really do speak for themselves). We had to create this workaround due to an internal bug within Tesla's service system.

Rest assured all of these recent claims with odometer discrepancies are being addressed by our XCare team.
To be VERY CLEAR - we have NEVER rejected a claim due to this glitch of not having odometer on the invoice. We just need to prove to our underwriters that coverage was eligible so we can process reimbursement. We are just working to correct an issue within Tesla to get all of our members made whole.

Good news is, as of yesterday, it looks like the most recent estimates that customers have been getting now Includes odometer. Thank you for your understanding as we work on getting the correct information to process reimbursement.

-Team XCare
Thank you for clearing this up for me! Yes I received an email today with a very similar response from xcare. I appreciate you all providing such a quick resolution to this. It definitely renewed my trust that xcare is working in good faith with your clients best interest in mind.

Somewhat embarrassing for Tesla service though that a third party company had to point out a glitch to them. I do think Tesla has a long way to go to get the service sector up to acceptable standards, I think that service is their preverbial lynch pin. If they don't get things improved it could be their undoing. But that is discussion for a different thread!

I purchased my extended warranty through xCare at the end of last year because they said the prices would be going up this year. I think I may have gotten super lucky with timing because my car started making a cracking noise yesterday morning as I was leaving for work. I submitted a claim through xCare yesterday but I haven't heard back from them yet. I haven't set up an appointment through Tesla so I'm waiting on next steps. I'll keep my post updated. Hoping for the best!

Hi all, I am providing an update to my XCare Warranty Claim I had last week. This was my very first claim with XCare and Endurance.

Overall, dealing with XCare and their Customer Service:
Phenomenal customer service from Libby who reached out to me as soon as I posted about my claim on this thread and she followed through until the very end of the claim which was ultimately approved. Thank you Libby again for your great customer service.

Dealing with Endurance:
If you didn't know, XCare is part of Endurance, I believe its something along the lines of XCare sells the extended warranty and Endurance provides the funds for a repair when approved. Dealing with Endurance became a tough issue when at day 3 they were still approving my initial estimate which was only 1/3 of the final quote given to me. I'm not sure if I could have done anything differently but I really wish there was some type of priority given when an estimate is initially submitted to the final approval time frame.

My story: on Monday the 5th I submitted my estimate to Endurance which was about $1K. At the end of the day, around 3pm ish, Endurance reached out to me with questions of "why did this part go out, why are they replacing this and that part" and to be honest, I am not mechanic so I said "I don't know". Endurance tried reaching out to Tesla and the service Advisor was already home for the day. Monday at 5pm ish I was told, we need more information to approve your quote and we need to get a hold of someone to give us that information, I understood completely and was fine with waiting. On Tuesday morning I received an email from Endurance (automated) that said I needed to provide a quote from Tesla which was weird because I had already done so. Tesla reached out to me, I provided Endurance's phone number, I tried to stay out of it. I approved an extra hour of Diag time with Tesla since "Noise is still present", and they provided a quote for $3k for all the parts that had failed, and I sent that quote to Endurance by 5pm. Wednesday morning 5-6am time frame, I received another automated email saying I needed to provide a quote from Tesla and at around 9am I hadn't received any other type of communication from Endurance so I decided to call them and Involved Libby (via email) because I had a feeling I was doing something wrong. Libby Reassured me there was nothing I was doing wrong and that she would be stepping in to verify what was happening. I finally received an approval at 12pm but there was an issue, the approval was for only $1k which I later found out was for the original quote I submitted on Monday afternoon. I was frustrated at this point ONLY because Tesla Service advisor kept reaching out to me asking when repairs could start and that I was hurting their completion time at the service center. I reached out to Endurance over the phone and asked them why they had provided an approval on the old quote sent on Monday instead of the most recent quote sent on Tuesday, and to my surprise they said their system hadn't received the quote for $3k. I sent it to the person I was on the line with, he worked his magic, and finally provided me with an approval for the final estimate at 2:00pm. He also said credit card payment would be sent to the service advisor directly to his email which I provided. I immediately texted the service advisor at Tesla so repairs could begin. Repairs were completed Thursday night and I received a final bill for $3k. Friday mid morning I reached out to Tesla advisor to verify they received CC payment and he respectfully said he hadn't seen anything come through. I jump on the phone with endurance and they let me know the email address was put in the wrong field and the email never went out, but rest assured the email had now gone out to the service advisor. I called Tesla service advisor, he verified he received email, took payment, took my $100 payment (deductible) and told me my car was ready to pick up.

I want to conclude I am not frustrated with the outcome, approval, because I am a person to overthink everything and from reading other posts in this community, reading "If you cannot afford a New Tesla, you cannot afford a Used Tesla" kicked my overthinking into overdrive and decided to buy the only extended warranty option available to me with the intention of NEVER using it. In the end, I am very pleased with having purchased the warranty and if I could, I would do it again. I also want to mention, I am the type of "Lucky" that never ever has anything go the right way which is why I double check with available personnel whenever I can to verify I'm doing everything as I should be.

Overall, there are some things Endurance can do to make their procedures work better. Libby, keep doing what you do because your customer service is exceptional. if anyone is thinking of buying their warranty, I say go for it. There's my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brent (or anyone from Xcare)...
Is there ANY hope of my 2017 Model S (with 125K miles) getting battery coverage in the future? My manufacturer battery warranty expires Aug 2025 and I want to keep this car for longer than that, but I simply cannot go without an unwarranted battery. Please tell me there's something in the works??

On a side note, does anyone here know how much it costs to replace a 2017 Model S 90D battery?

Last edited:
Brent (or anyone from Xcare)...
Is there ANY hope of my 2017 Model S (with 125K miles) getting battery coverage in the future? My manufacturer battery warranty expires Aug 2025 and I want to keep this car for longer than that, but I simply cannot go without an unwarranted battery. Please tell me there's something in the works??

On a side note, does anyone here know how much it costs to replace a 2017 Model S 90D battery?
Thanks for the question, I'll field this one. At present, our XCare warrantees (Premium and Battery & Drive Unit) both stipulate that the vehicle has to be 7 model years or newer (which your 2017 is) and have less than 100k miles (which sadly yours does not) at time of warranty purchase to include HV Battery coverage, and less than 125k miles to purchase any coverage.

The inclusion of HV Battery coverage is relatively new (since July 2023) and as we see more data/claims we may in the future see miles/model years adjusted (up OR down) as we continue to trend and tweak the program.

The takeaway for our community is if one currently has a vehicle within parameters they should purchase as soon as possible to hedge against future changes, both in eligibility and pricing. As for your current ride, I'd probably not count on any changes to the positive in the near term. Wish I had better news, and we're here for you for your next EV. -Brent

Hi all, I am providing an update to my XCare Warranty Claim I had last week. This was my very first claim with XCare and Endurance.

Overall, dealing with XCare and their Customer Service:
Phenomenal customer service from Libby who reached out to me as soon as I posted about my claim on this thread and she followed through until the very end of the claim which was ultimately approved. Thank you Libby again for your great customer service.

Dealing with Endurance:
If you didn't know, XCare is part of Endurance, I believe its something along the lines of XCare sells the extended warranty and Endurance provides the funds for a repair when approved. Dealing with Endurance became a tough issue when at day 3 they were still approving my initial estimate which was only 1/3 of the final quote given to me. I'm not sure if I could have done anything differently but I really wish there was some type of priority given when an estimate is initially submitted to the final approval time frame.

My story: on Monday the 5th I submitted my estimate to Endurance which was about $1K. At the end of the day, around 3pm ish, Endurance reached out to me with questions of "why did this part go out, why are they replacing this and that part" and to be honest, I am not mechanic so I said "I don't know". Endurance tried reaching out to Tesla and the service Advisor was already home for the day. Monday at 5pm ish I was told, we need more information to approve your quote and we need to get a hold of someone to give us that information, I understood completely and was fine with waiting. On Tuesday morning I received an email from Endurance (automated) that said I needed to provide a quote from Tesla which was weird because I had already done so. Tesla reached out to me, I provided Endurance's phone number, I tried to stay out of it. I approved an extra hour of Diag time with Tesla since "Noise is still present", and they provided a quote for $3k for all the parts that had failed, and I sent that quote to Endurance by 5pm. Wednesday morning 5-6am time frame, I received another automated email saying I needed to provide a quote from Tesla and at around 9am I hadn't received any other type of communication from Endurance so I decided to call them and Involved Libby (via email) because I had a feeling I was doing something wrong. Libby Reassured me there was nothing I was doing wrong and that she would be stepping in to verify what was happening. I finally received an approval at 12pm but there was an issue, the approval was for only $1k which I later found out was for the original quote I submitted on Monday afternoon. I was frustrated at this point ONLY because Tesla Service advisor kept reaching out to me asking when repairs could start and that I was hurting their completion time at the service center. I reached out to Endurance over the phone and asked them why they had provided an approval on the old quote sent on Monday instead of the most recent quote sent on Tuesday, and to my surprise they said their system hadn't received the quote for $3k. I sent it to the person I was on the line with, he worked his magic, and finally provided me with an approval for the final estimate at 2:00pm. He also said credit card payment would be sent to the service advisor directly to his email which I provided. I immediately texted the service advisor at Tesla so repairs could begin. Repairs were completed Thursday night and I received a final bill for $3k. Friday mid morning I reached out to Tesla advisor to verify they received CC payment and he respectfully said he hadn't seen anything come through. I jump on the phone with endurance and they let me know the email address was put in the wrong field and the email never went out, but rest assured the email had now gone out to the service advisor. I called Tesla service advisor, he verified he received email, took payment, took my $100 payment (deductible) and told me my car was ready to pick up.

I want to conclude I am not frustrated with the outcome, approval, because I am a person to overthink everything and from reading other posts in this community, reading "If you cannot afford a New Tesla, you cannot afford a Used Tesla" kicked my overthinking into overdrive and decided to buy the only extended warranty option available to me with the intention of NEVER using it. In the end, I am very pleased with having purchased the warranty and if I could, I would do it again. I also want to mention, I am the type of "Lucky" that never ever has anything go the right way which is why I double check with available personnel whenever I can to verify I'm doing everything as I should be.

Overall, there are some things Endurance can do to make their procedures work better. Libby, keep doing what you do because your customer service is exceptional. if anyone is thinking of buying their warranty, I say go for it. There's my 2 cents.
Thanks so very much for posting this experience. We at XCare strongly believe in transparency, and it is great to have balanced reviews like this one to ensure our community sees not only when things go smoothly, but when they do not and the efforts we take to make things right.

By the way, Libby is a rockstar, and we are so very proud to have her on board. I personally worked closely with her at Tesla, and bringing her into the mix has allowed us to have a dedicated Customer Success Manager to assist with situations like these, but also to work closely with Xcelerate leadership to adjust processes, training and the overall flow of claims/payments.

We have recently added several new members to our claims team, and Libby has been instrumental in bringing issues to the fore such as these. As a matter of fact, several items have been modified internally to reduce/eliminate "back and forth" which can be frustrating to our members and to Tesla Service. We are continually evolving processes, because we believe anything less than a great experience for our members is not acceptable.

Thanks again to our entire EV community for the support, advocacy and criticism, because it is only through a combination of these things that we continue to grow, improve and serve our people.

Happy Valentine's Day, and incidentally the fifth birthday of XCare EV Protection. (insert flowers and candy emoji here) :)

-Brent

I'm about to pull the trigger on the XCARE extended warranty but being dissuaded for the reason that you have to deal with XCare and endurance? Why do I have to deal with Endurance and not have Xcare do it from start to finish?

Reactions: 6364Dart
I'm about to pull the trigger on the XCARE extended warranty but being dissuaded for the reason that you have to deal with XCare and endurance? Why do I have to deal with Endurance and not have Xcare do it from start to finish?
I almost pulled the trigger, but backed out at the last minute. I asked them to send me the contract and I was disappointed to learn it was a contract with Endurance, not Xcare, which seems super shady to me. Endurance has abysmal reviews online, I mean super bad reviews. I asked around to local Tesla clubs and no one who responded had experience with Xcare. Also, it seems like the people online have only had good experiences with Xcare if they contact someone in these forums to escalate things. I just kept thinking, I'm going to shell out thousands of dollars for this warranty and I have zero assurance that Endurance will honor claims for Xcare. What if the people from Xcare change jobs or divest from Endurance in some way? Then, I'm stuck only dealing with Endurance, which seems to do everything possible to avoid paying any claims and has terrible customer support. I'd be cautious, if Xcare is so great, why isn't the contract with them directly, instead of Endurance? At the end of the day, the Xcare sales people can make all the assurances they want, but you're signing a contract with Endurance, not Xcare. I wasn't ok with that, so I just decided to keep the money and pay out of pocket if something happened because the reviews for Endurance are pretty scary, I wasn't willing to gamble my funds or my blood pressure on Endurance. 😅

We understand where these reservations come from and very smart to do your research on products ahead of time.

To launch and scale a product like XCare takes a village. While we completely endorse the philosophy of vertical integration, the reality is that you can’t simply throw a dart at the proverbial board and expect to hit a bullseye. Many companies have tried to do just that and failed and the people who get hurt the most, are the customers. We took this variable into account in the early days of the creation of XCare and ultimately decided to partner with AmTrust Financial to backstop the product due to their long term financial stability, Endurance for claims administration due to their claims processing capabilities, and due to our agreement allowing us to manage the experience end-to-end. When it comes to the claims process, all XCare claims go to a special XCare team within Endurance who look to us in order to make decisions, have oversight on every claim, enhance the product claims experience around XCare, and how it works around Tesla Service. We helped build the contract, select the team within Endurance, train them on new Tesla technical iterations (along other EVs) and make sure that every claim goes through with a positive experience. Claims efficiency is critical to achieve for a product like this and it takes time to dial in. Although Endurance is a large corporation that services millions of dollars in claims daily and has several products they offer at different price points, XCare is a premium product created by Xcelerate, modeled after products like AppleCare with the goal of achieving an excellent customer experience, and functions entirely differently than the rest of Endurance.

With regards to “people online only have good experiences with XCare if they contact someone in these forums to escalate things” This couldn’t be further from the truth since most of our members aren’t even on this forum ha 😊. Yes, we have had a couple times where people have opted to go straight to the forums before directly communicating with one of our team members, but how we treat our customers does not differ whether you come straight to us, or to the forums – we react the same. We truly do this to help EV owners have positive experiences, that’s the “why” that powers our everyday. Believe it or not, we communicate to our customers way more than the communication you may see on this forum 😊. The way we focus on our experience is the reason why we continue to hire former Tesla employees to help us grow, because they believe in our mission.

To summarize, we have only grown larger and reinvested in our claims experience. Our customer success team has eyes on EVERY single claim that comes through and works with our customers and teams to resolve some of the trickiest situations. To showcase how we separate ourselves from everyone else, I want to leave a real world example of how we go above and beyond for customers… we currently have a customer who has a battery failure who should still be under the factory battery warranty (21’ Model Y w/ 82k miles). There was an odometer issue at the time of title filing which created a branded title situation (branded titles do not qualify for XCare coverage). Fortunately the customer has already corrected this issue with the DMV but Tesla still has it shown as a voided warranty on their end since the title was branded. We have guided the customer on how to make the “brand” removed from vehicle history, and WE are working with Tesla internally (on the customers behalf) to help get this corrected so his HV battery warranty is reinstated, so the customer isn’t stuck with a$13k bill. Any other “warranty provider” would have just cancelled the contract when seeing it was branded. We didn’t, we went deeper to understand why, and now helping the customer do something that is completely outside the realm of XCare. This is what you can expect from our team.

-Team XCare