Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really? Tesla is a little too cost conscious!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it odd and annoying that a car like this which does not have a spare tire does not even come with a tire repair kit as part of the standard equipment. I know the Tesla shop sells one for $80 it just strikes me as being a little too cost conscious. My Toyota Prius which also didn’t have a spare did come with a tire repair kit and mini compressor. Also while I’m at it, what is this lug nut cover tool that is in the damn manual and also isn’t included. And....the headrests don’t adjust? My husband asked if they do and before I actually looked how to do I assured him “Of course they adjust. Every car has adjustable headrests!”. But they don’t. LOL. Other than that I love it. It’s amazing. It’s only been 3 full days but as long as I don’t get a flat or need to adjust the headrest I am hunky dory.

I think the headrests are a function of seat design. I have had other cars that didn't have adjustable headrests and didn't think it was a cost thing. I agree about not giving us a can of fix-a-flat in place of a spare, especially since I don't think we get free roadside assistance from Tesla forever. Those tire repair kits they sell online do look nice.

Reactions: dhrivnak
If your Model Y has the 19" Gemini wheels w/wheel covers there is no need for the lug nut cover removal tool. If you purchase the lug nut cover kit it comes with lug nut covers, wheel center cap and the lug nut cover removal tool.

If you lived in Maryland you would have received the Tesla tire inflation and sealant kit at no additional cost. I know because I found the inflation kit inside my Model Y. At first I thought I had scored some free Tesla swag but later learned that since 2013 Maryland has required all new vehicles sold to come with either a spare tire and tire changing tools or a suitable tire inflation device and sealant.

If your Model Y has the 19" Gemini wheels w/wheel covers there is no need for the lug nut cover removal tool. If you purchase the lug nut cover kit it comes with lug nut covers, wheel center cap and the lug nut cover removal tool.

If you lived in Maryland you would have received the Tesla tire inflation and sealant kit at no additional cost. I know because I found the inflation kit inside my Model Y. At first I thought I had scored some free Tesla swag but later learned that since 2013 Maryland has required all new vehicles sold to come with either a spare tire and tire changing tools or a suitable tire inflation device and sealant.

Thanks. I appreciate that. This forum has lots of helpful people for newbies like me. They should still provide a tire repair kit regardless of the individual state requirement if said car does NOT come with a spare tire. How much money are they saving by not supplying every new Tesla with one?

Thanks. I appreciate that. This forum has lots of helpful people for newbies like me. They should still provide a tire repair kit regardless of the individual state requirement if said car does NOT come with a spare tire. How much money are they saving by not supplying every new Tesla with one?
Just for the 3rd quarter Tesla delivered more than 139,000 vehicles. Assuming that the tire inflator kit costs $30 wholesale then Tesla potentially saved ~$4 Million by not including the tire inflator kit with every vehicle.

Just for the 3rd quarter Tesla delivered more than 139,000 vehicles. Assuming that the tire inflator kit costs $30 wholesale then Tesla potentially saved ~$4 Million by not including the tire inflator kit with every vehicle.

That was less helpful. I didn’t want you to do the math. Lol. My point is that my $28,000 Toyota Prius which doesn’t have a spare tire came with one. It’s ridiculous that a $54,000 technologically advanced “luxury” type care does NOT! Regardless of the minimal cost.

• Disagree
Reactions: ks1972 and bicar
I am surprised that Tesla includes floor mats with their vehicles. Many owners prefer to use all weather floor liners year round. My Tesla floor mats are still brand new ,tucked away in my basement until the day I sell the vehicle.

My Y went 125 miles before its first flat. Bolt through the sidewall and a $320 tire replacement bill.

I'm afraid that the extra weight and torque of a larger EV causes more flats.
I might be lucky, but my Model S is my first car that I haven't picked up any nails/screws or had a flat in over 40k miles (knock on wood).
As a reminder...don't use fix-a-flat...these tires are lined with foam internally.
I believe the liner is just for noise insulation, I thought we could still use fix-a-flat's with those?
I find it odd and annoying that a car like this which does not have a spare tire does not even come with a tire repair kit as part of the standard equipment. I know the Tesla shop sells one for $80 it just strikes me as being a little too cost conscious. My Toyota Prius which also didn’t have a spare did come with a tire repair kit and mini compressor. Also while I’m at it, what is this lug nut cover tool that is in the damn manual and also isn’t included. And....the headrests don’t adjust? My husband asked if they do and before I actually looked how to do I assured him “Of course they adjust. Every car has adjustable headrests!”. But they don’t. LOL. Other than that I love it. It’s amazing. It’s only been 3 full days but as long as I don’t get a flat or need to adjust the headrest I am hunky dory.
I'm not sure you'd want to use those fix-a-flat's anyways, as they can ruin your TPMS which will make the flat repair that much more expensive.

Reactions: RiverBrick
FWIW, Chevy Bolts don't come with goop nor a pump standard. It's an extra cost accessory.

Sales droid mentioned to me that in the past they'd order it w/the car but then they'd get into squabbles w/customers who didn't want pay the extra $ for it (Chevrolet Accessories says $95), so the dealer might have to eat the cost to make the sale.

My '13 Leaf did come with the pump and goop but I'd prefer not to use it as tire shops I hear don't like it when tires come in filled that (they need to clean it up) and it can damage the TPMS sensor.

Last edited:
I am surprised that Tesla includes floor mats with their vehicles. Many owners prefer to use all weather floor liners year round. My Tesla floor mats are still brand new ,tucked away in my basement until the day I sell the vehicle.

yes. Mine too. Bought the whole Tesmanian set. I love the 3Dmaxpiders but they are crazy expensive. Again though my Toyota Prius came with all weather mats that I negotiated for free. Basic carpet Mats should also always be included.

FWIW, Chevy Bolts don't come with goop nor a pump standard. It's an extra cost accessory.

Sales droid mentioned to me that in the past they'd order it w/the car but then they'd get into squabbles w/customers who didn't want pay the extra $ for it (Chevrolet Accessories says $95), so the dealer might have to eat the cost to make the sale.

My '13 Leaf did come with the pump and goop but I'd prefer not to use it as tire shops I hear don't like it when tires come in filled that (they need to clean it up) and it can damage the TPMS sensor.

Chevy Bolt has run flats....

• Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna
Unless Tesla has revised their tire repair kit, the GOOP they include can harm the TPMS. I’d consider one from SLIME before buying the Tesla kit. I opted to buy a SLIME 12V pump minus the GOOP and the SLIME plug kit as part of my road side emergency kit. I bought a spare UMC case that holds that plus some work gloves, LED head band light and a small plastic tarp.

Just an observation.