Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really? Tesla is a little too cost conscious!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What exactly are you requesting help with?

Is this another snarky response? I don’t want to assume but since you’re contributing to the thread I am thinking you read the entire thread. In short, I posted something and people responded. I was not asking for help. I was venting and offering an opinion on something regarding my new MY. One guy (now 2?) offered an opinion that wasn’t very helpful and was already answered in a previous post. Thanks for chipping in though.

If you aren't asking for help you have no reason to call another on-topic comment "unhelpful." Just my two cents, take em or leave em.

I was the OP. I posted a statement it was not a plea for help. I was looking for feedback and opinions on my topic. I received plenty of good responses that were on topic and helpful even if the person disagreed with my opinion. The one person replied that I shouldn’t be so cheap and should just buy the thing I was complaining about Tesla not including. I had posted that I already had purchased it after my initial post. Therefore what he posted was no longer relevant or on topic and not particularly helpful to me. Thanks for your 2 cents but I decided to leave em.

The best part about not coming with one, is that you as a user can pick.

Some users pick to buy a spare.
Some users pick to buy some goop.

I personally have a 12v compressor already, but do not carry goop nor a spare. Have not had a tire blow out on a road trip in 20+ years. All of my flat tires are nails around town. If I did have a tire blow out on a road trip, would find a local tow truck and call them up. Rather deal with that once per 10-20 years, over lug around a 50 pound tire.

We’ve been talking about this a little bit On the New Jersey rebate thread. I am planning to purchase the compressor and sealant kit from Tesla for peace of mind.

I am also planning to purchase the modernspare kit as well as a tire plug kit because I don’t want to have to rely on roadside assistance exclusively.

sometimes I work late shift work or very early shift work and the last thing I want to do is be on the road at 2 AM and have to wait for a tow truck.

I probably use the plug kit as my first option, and then use the sealant kit if I had to as a last resort.

I got my Model Y Friday 10/10/20. My left rear tire was completely flat 10/11/20 after driving 60 miles. Fortunately, most of the air leaked while the car was in my driveway and I had a tire plug kit and compressor at home. I was going to make a post with the same exact points and opinions of the OP until I found this thread.

Also, I don't know about the specific type of TPMS in the Model Y, but this stuff might be OK to use (I always have it in my motorcycle tires):
Ride-On is safe to use in combination with most TPMS or Tire Pressure Monitoring System sensors, provided that they are hermetically sealed. Ride-On is a liquid and if it gets inside the sensor, this may affect its efficacy negatively. Always check with your dealer if your sensor is hermetically sealed.

Attachments

• Flat Tire.jpg
    Flat Tire.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 64