Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really upset. Need charging adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was low on miles and found a Tesla dealership yesterday with chargers but none of them for my 2019 Model X surprisingly!!!

A security guard was luckily there, saw me struggling and lent me an adaptor for an hour or so.

I am totally disgusted by this. I spent over £100,000 on this thing (one hundred thousand pounds) one of the main reasons being the Tesla charging network and I went with my new car that's barely over a year old and they had NO chargers that would fit my car.

I am beyond fuming. The adaptor worked fine on my car (420miles/he) but had it not been for the security guard I'd have been real trouble.

If Tesla themselves require you to have some sort of adaptor then it should be there at their own centre or they should be shipping one out to me if they've made changes. It's ridiculous that so soon after buying it my car is so outdated it won't even work at Tesla!!

What's going on? Are Tesla sending out these adaptors to us ?

I guess you are referring to CCS connector, you can find more info related here:
Tesla slashes price of CCS retrofit for Model S and Model X - Electrek

Many thanks Nicebag.

I genuinely don't quite follow though... I am actually expected to pay for this extra adapter to charge my car atttheir dealerships? Or am I to expect a bit of plastic in the post?

They won't let me charge there unless I buy another adapter that I have to buy from them?

Is this actually serious or have I misunderstood?

Many thanks Nicebag.

I genuinely don't quite follow though... I am actually expected to pay for this extra adapter to charge my car atttheir dealerships? Or am I to expect a bit of plastic in the post?

They won't let me charge there unless I buy another adapter that I have to buy from them?

Is this actually serious or have I misunderstood?
Pretty sure it's not really Tesla's fault. I believe Eu laws required Tesla switch from their proprietary charging port to CCS. If your car was made before the EU forced Tesla to make the switch it has the old charging port and didn't come with an adapter because when your car was made it wasn't needed.

Most superchargers have both old and new style cable, but apparently wherever you were at only head the new style for some reason. Perhaps it wasn't a supercharger just a destination charger?

There are lots of charger connectors. Tesla has no way of knowing precisely what connector you will need for your circumstances.

Every country seems to have their own blend of charging solutions. Owners need to determine which will be necessary for their travels and buy accordingly.

There are lots of charger connectors. Tesla has no way of knowing precisely what connector you will need for your circumstances.

Every country seems to have their own blend of charging solutions. Owners need to determine which will be necessary for their travels and buy accordingly.

I get that.

A UK car was sold to me here in the UK and Tesla's own dealership here in the UK, doesn't have the correct connector for me.

Surely they are aware of the cars they sell in this country and the compatibility they have with their very own chargers in the same country.

We're not talking abroad or some other charging company. This is Tesla themselves.

I wonder if it's possible they had some other 'normal' chargers there too that I just didn't see possibly? Because supercharger stations normally have two different cables. This only had the one CCS one.

Where was the dealership you mention?

If your car was produced 1 May 2019 onwards it should have had an adapter with it - see here - Charging Connectors

If it was earlier then you are stuck with type 2 connectors unless you opt to have your car upgraded to accept CCS as well. See here - Supercharging

I have a Model S or Model X produced before May 1, 2019. Can I take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging?
Yes. Schedule a simple service retrofit in order to take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging via the Tesla CCS Combo 2 adapter. You may schedule a service retrofit at your local Tesla service center via your Tesla mobile app.

How much does a CCS Combo 2 service retrofit cost?
CCS Combo 2 retrofit service costs £280, including the cost of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

As Tesla are now favouring V3 superchargers (CCS type) for all new installations, it seems that you (we) will be left behind unless you do bite the bullet and get the retrofit done. For that reason I had my MS updated a while ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and sk19
Where was the dealership you mention?

If your car was produced 1 May 2019 onwards it should have had an adapter with it - see here - Charging Connectors

If it was earlier then you are stuck with type 2 connectors unless you opt to have your car upgraded to accept CCS as well. See here - Supercharging

I have a Model S or Model X produced before May 1, 2019. Can I take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging?
Yes. Schedule a simple service retrofit in order to take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging via the Tesla CCS Combo 2 adapter. You may schedule a service retrofit at your local Tesla service center via your Tesla mobile app.

How much does a CCS Combo 2 service retrofit cost?
CCS Combo 2 retrofit service costs £280, including the cost of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

As Tesla are now favouring V3 superchargers (CCS type) for all new installations, it seems that you (we) will be left behind unless you do bite the bullet and get the retrofit done. For that reason I had my MS updated a while ago.

Given that they were able to do a rapid charge, it implies they have the necessary hardware and just need the adapter. But apparently they should have that adapter.

I suggest the OP checks what adapters they have with the vehicle. They might just not realize they have one.

Reactions: sk19
I'm confused why you think that a tesla dealership owes you free charging. That's some balls to pull into a closed dealership and expect to be able to just plug in and charge up. Can you just drive your gas vehicle up to a dealership when it's closed and siphon some gas out of a can?

It's not their fault you didn't plan on your energy needs ahead of time.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and sk19
I'm confused why you think that a tesla dealership owes you free charging. That's some balls to pull into a closed dealership and expect to be able to just plug in and charge up. Can you just drive your gas vehicle up to a dealership when it's closed and siphon some gas out of a can?

It's not their fault you didn't plan on your energy needs ahead of time.

Good point... are dealerships free charging? I thought it is charged like any other. I'd never go in if I thought it was free somehow, that's theft (even though I have free miles to use). I hope not. Now I feel mortified. Security guard didn't see it as problem and even helped out with an adaptor. Can anyone confirm?