Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear bumper detaches after driving during rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my new Model 3 on Wednesday, 12/19. Drove it to family (194 miles) on Friday evening, 12/21, in an absolute deluge. When we arrived, the rear bumper had detached from the car. There were no signs of anything else on the bumper: not a mark, scratch, dent, ding, or sign of an impact of any kind. The car was not driven through any standing water -- the entire journey occurred on interstate highways.

Had it towed to the closest Tesla-approved bodyshop (in Pittsburgh) on Saturday morning (12/22). Body shop was closed for the Christmas holidays until Wednesday (12/26). We had to rent a car to drive home on Christmas Day.

The bodyshop called yesterday and informed me that someone hit the back of my car hard enough to break the bolts out of the bumper, and that it would cost me several thousand dollars to repair, depending upon the damage uncovered once the bumper was removed. No one hit the car while it was being driven, nor during the two minutes it took to exit the car at my family's remote home. I asked the bodyshop to determine where the impact had occurred, since there is not a mark on the car anywhere -- just a detached bumper. I am still waiting to hear back from them.

I have read other accounts of Tesla bumpers detaching after being driven in rain. I suspect that the bumper detachment is a result of poor design/engineering/manufacturing on Tesla's part, and I consider it a manufacturing defect.

It represents a safety issue -- had I unknowingly continued to drive that car with the bumper detached, it could have come loose and hurt or killed someone driving behind me.

I no longer wish to remain a Tesla owner -- 3 days' worth of grief, frustration, worry, stress, inconvenience, and a ruined Christmas vacation are more than enough. Once the car is fixed (and I will fight the bodyshop's determination), I plan to return the vehicle to Tesla for a refund under lemon laws.

Please, everyone who owns a Model 3 -- have your vehicle checked, by an independent mechanic, if necessary, to ensure that your rear bumper is not about to detach. Be especially wary of driving your car in any kind of rainstorm.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
Wow, so sorry to hear, my car has been perfect so far but I have not had to drive in a deluge so I am dreading that day! I don't think lemon law works in your case since it has to be three problems of the same issue that they cannot repair to qualify for lemon law. I know, I did one once. As far as the bumper, yes you are correct. There has been a lot of discussion about bumpers falling off in the rain because of design build. The water scoops up under the car as your are driving and leaks into the bumper with no place to go. The weight of the water builds and eventually the bumper falls off. You should not have to prove your were not hit like the body shop said so keep researching on the Tesla boards and you should be able to find more people that this has happened to. Please post back what happens in your case and escalate this to Tesla Exec's.

I picked up my new Model 3 on Wednesday, 12/19. Drove it to family (194 miles) on Friday evening, 12/21, in an absolute deluge. When we arrived, the rear bumper had detached from the car. There were no signs of anything else on the bumper: not a mark, scratch, dent, ding, or sign of an impact of any kind. The car was not driven through any standing water -- the entire journey occurred on interstate highways.

Had it towed to the closest Tesla-approved bodyshop (in Pittsburgh) on Saturday morning (12/22). Body shop was closed for the Christmas holidays until Wednesday (12/26). We had to rent a car to drive home on Christmas Day.

The bodyshop called yesterday and informed me that someone hit the back of my car hard enough to break the bolts out of the bumper, and that it would cost me several thousand dollars to repair, depending upon the damage uncovered once the bumper was removed. No one hit the car while it was being driven, nor during the two minutes it took to exit the car at my family's remote home. I asked the bodyshop to determine where the impact had occurred, since there is not a mark on the car anywhere -- just a detached bumper. I am still waiting to hear back from them.

I have read other accounts of Tesla bumpers detaching after being driven in rain. I suspect that the bumper detachment is a result of poor design/engineering/manufacturing on Tesla's part, and I consider it a manufacturing defect.

It represents a safety issue -- had I unknowingly continued to drive that car with the bumper detached, it could have come loose and hurt or killed someone driving behind me.

I no longer wish to remain a Tesla owner -- 3 days' worth of grief, frustration, worry, stress, inconvenience, and a ruined Christmas vacation are more than enough. Once the car is fixed (and I will fight the bodyshop's determination), I plan to return the vehicle to Tesla for a refund under lemon laws.

Please, everyone who owns a Model 3 -- have your vehicle checked, by an independent mechanic, if necessary, to ensure that your rear bumper is not about to detach. Be especially wary of driving your car in any kind of rainstorm.