Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Camera fails routinely in cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if others have experienced similar, Search turned up no solid results.

I've owned my 2013 S 60 for over two years, and in all that time I've frequently had an issue where the rear camera fails (shows only a blank/dark window) in cold weather. I reported it when my car was in the Service Center for other reasons and they didn't find anything wrong.

But now that the weather's turning colder, this is a daily occurrence. Resetting the Main screen usually brings it back for a little while -- often, I don't bother and it just comes back on its own after some amount of time.

Any known issues with this?

Still under CPO warranty so I'll ask them to take a look again, but wanted to check the collective wisdom of TMC first.

First I see anyone mention such an issue. A new camera is ~$70 and it has higher resolution (supposively compatible with even the oldest cars), maybe suggest that they change it out? If it's the central computer, that is a much more expensive repair, so starting with the camera may be worth while experiment. Rebooting the main screen resets both the computer and the camera, so it doesn't help narrow down what is failing. $70 is cheaper than service center spending hours trying to repro this.

I had an issue I kept writing off as a software problem. While it happened in warm or cold weather, it was fixed by replacement of the rear camera. I used to get black screens, monochromatic, striped, frozen image, etc. It could always be fixed with a reboot.

I would suggest insisting on replacement at the SvC. Good luck!

2014 P85 80K miles owned for a little over a year near Green Bay but it was in WI before I owned it and I haven't had this issue.

Anyone have the PN for the newer camera? Seems like it might be a nice upgrade to do regardless.

I have had the camera malfunction maybe 2-3 times with blank or monochrome maybe just once each but nothing that a reboot didn't fix and didn't happen enough to see any sort of pattern.

Not sure if it's the same issue, but my M3 is in the service center right now for a similar issue.. only difference is that rebooting doesn't seem to do anything, just warmer ambient temperature. I've tried all the tricks and haven't had any success.

It's not a huge issue dive I live in Southern California, but first thing in the morning in these cooler months or when I drive up into the mountains, it comes up.