Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Camera Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After updating to 2019.20.1 my rear view camera has stopped working. Both when putting the car in reverse and pushing the button to display the camera. Sometimes the parking guides show, sometimes they don’t.

I’ve done several reboots, but it hasn’t come back.

Any other ideas before I make an appointment at a service center?

My rear camera went black this morning when backing out. I tried rebooting several times and couldn’t clear it. The entire time I was driving the camera would just show a black screen. When I got to my destination I tried one more time to reset it without any luck and then scheduled a service appointment.

Then I went back to pick up my car about four hours later and it started working again. I’ve had the blackout on reverse for as long as ten seconds in the past but never where it would stay black for an hour. I’m running 2019.20.1 but I’ve been running this version for almost a week and today was the first day it happened.

My rear camera went black this morning when backing out. I tried rebooting several times and couldn’t clear it. The entire time I was driving the camera would just show a black screen. When I got to my destination I tried one more time to reset it without any luck and then scheduled a service appointment.

Then I went back to pick up my car about four hours later and it started working again. I’ve had the blackout on reverse for as long as ten seconds in the past but never where it would stay black for an hour. I’m running 2019.20.1 but I’ve been running this version for almost a week and today was the first day it happened.

I’ve had it happen before, but either putting it in park or a reset usually fixed it. This time around, it won’t go away. At first it was black screen, then after a reboot, black screen with the parking guides. I’ve also had quite a few system crashes while backing. Don’t know if they’re related.

I've had similar issues. A lot of times I have to put in reverse a couple of times. Sometimes I just have to wait a few seconds. Last week for the first time, I just could not get it to turn on, even with two resets from the steering wheel. I hoped it would be working again the next time I came to the car, and sure enough it was working. At this point, the problem isn't big enough for me to feel like taking it in for servicing, but if it becomes more frequent that I can't get it to turn on at all, then I might have to do something about it.

might not be a bug. Mine does the black out when I close the trunk. Just started happening. worked flawless before. It always comes back up after the car sits for a while. but every time I open the trunk and close it black out again. I recorded a video to show in messages for my appointment. I just posted this to maybe help others out on the actual cause of the black out. Mine is likely a loose cable, connector, or camera it self. will find out after the appointment.