Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I love this camera and use it continually while driving, we live in the Northwest, where it rains....a lot. Yes, it does. When it rains, the water runs off the metal “Tesla” identification strip right onto the camera lens, making it impossible to view. Tesla should make a metal shield, like the bill on a baseball cap, to go just above the camera to give us at least a better chance of using the camera. I think this would be a great improvement, especially at night when the camera is so very much appreciated.

People have been complaining about this since the first backup cameras came out and I have yet to see any solution to the problem for any car.
Actually, Volkswagen has a good fix. Am trying to sell my 2017 VW since I got my "S" two months ago.. VW puts their camera behind the VW emblem which acts like a door that swings up when you put car in Reverse. Camera stays dry and clean. Even in carwash. Leave it to the Germans...

While I love this camera and use it continually while driving, we live in the Northwest, where it rains....a lot. Yes, it does. When it rains, the water runs off the metal “Tesla” identification strip right onto the camera lens, making it impossible to view. Tesla should make a metal shield, like the bill on a baseball cap, to go just above the camera to give us at least a better chance of using the camera. I think this would be a great improvement, especially at night when the camera is so very much appreciated.
Range Rover might have solved the problem. Lets hope some of this tech finds it's way into the new versions of the Tesla's.

Rear Washer jet for rear camera (Video 4.32)