Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Climate Control via USB/Bluetooth device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I'm assuming someone is sitting back there. This would be so that they could change their temperature or toggle the heated seats.

@bravadomizzou I don't believe there's a separate temperature zone for rear-seat passenger(s). For heated seats, I think someone in the front seat will have to manage that. They can be controlled via the Telsa app and a number of 3rd party apps, but you may not want to give those passengers as much access as they would get via the app(s) (guessing they may be your children, or ride-sharing passengers--either way you wouldn't want that!).

Reactions: Gadget63
Upvote 0
@bravadomizzou I don't believe there's a separate temperature zone for rear-seat passenger(s). For heated seats, I think someone in the front seat will have to manage that. They can be controlled via the Telsa app and a number of 3rd party apps, but you may not want to give those passengers as much access as they would get via the app(s) (guessing they may be your children, or ride-sharing passengers--either way you wouldn't want that!).
Right, but would be cool if you had a bluetooth device that plugged into the usb that had buttons to control the heated seats via bluetooth interacting with their API.

Upvote 0
Right, but would be cool if you had a bluetooth device that plugged into the usb that had buttons to control the heated seats via bluetooth interacting with their API.

@bravadomizzou this seems like a niche product that isn't likely to exist on the market unfortunately.

I'm curious what your usage scenarios are. Is this for hauling around family members or other frequent riders (car pools to work/school for example)? Or for strangers (Uber/Lyft etc)? Or for just any random friend or family member you may occasionally transport somewhere? Or something else?

Thinking out loud, you might be able to mount a phone or tablet somewhere in the back seat area (back of front seat for example) that has connectivity (either it's own, or via your phone's hot spot) and find or build (or have some kind soul write you a custom) app with limited capabilities (e.g. just rear seat warmers) via the API. I don't think there's a technical reason this couldn't be done, but it feels like it would be a relatively large expense vs. the actual functionality provided. If it's for family members you haul around frequently that already have smart phones, you could skip the mounted device and just install an app of some kind on their phones, but then they could potentially be turning on and off the seat warmers randomly any time (middle of the night, while they're in school, sitting at the kitchen table, etc.) which may not be desirable either (again assuming kids, hopefully adults wouldn't do that).

If you can provide a bit more about your requirements someone might be able to think of a better solution. Occam's razor would suggest you just control it for them via the touchscreen, of course. Free and very little effort.

Upvote 0