Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear damage repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla model Y was hit from behind on freeway by a Toyota Tacoma truck. Please see photo.

7453C70D-2098-4795-9C4D-B0CD12FE4601.jpeg

Right now when I drive it I can hear lots of wind noise. When I back up, it keeps telling me “stop” as if there is an obstacle.

I booked an appointment at a Tesla Service Center but was told that the damage is too extensive and I need to bring it to a Tesla certified body shop.

This car is almost brand new. I bought it in 2021. I am worried that the body shop may not be able to fix it completely. Or it will leave a record on Carfax reducing its resale value. Any suggestions?

Horrible issue. Sorry for you.

A single photo here doesn't show much. looks like a slow impact? Is the roof deformed, or only the hatch? From this single photo, hatch and bumper need replacing, at a minimum. Can't see beyond that.

For sure, only a body shop will advise you correctly. Unknown how it might be recorded on the record along with your VIN.

Upvote 0
Sorry to see that damage, but I wouldn't worry about a certified body shop not being able to repair that. My MYP was rear-ended last October and the damage looked to be a little less severe than yours. My liftgate still worked and rear sensors all appeared to be working. Mine ended up needing the rear liftgate, one side panel (I think), lower bumper cover, and an aluminum impact bar replaced. It took about a month to get the initial parts in to the certified body shop, then another month to get an appointment to bring the car in. Once the car was at the body shop, they found the internal damage (impact bar) and moved it to another location that could do structural work. I got the car back last week (1/13/22), so it went 3.5 months from collision to repaired. But I was able to drive it for 2 months before the body shop appointment.

Total repair cost was around $6,400 for me, which is actually kind of low compared to what I've seen on these forums. The body shop guy told me that had there been damage to the floor, the cost would have likely been at least doubled.

You should bypass the Tesla SC and bring it to a certified body shop for an estimate ASAP, then work with insurance on the coverage. Parts availability is pretty unpredictable and body shop appointments might be backed up, so I would get the process started right away.

After the repairs are completed, you should pursue a diminished value claim if the other driver is at fault and doesn't use the same insurance company as you. There are a lot of good information on these forums about diminished value so I would suggest reading up on it while your car is being repaired.

Upvote 0