Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear defroster not working

Space_CowBoy

Nov 30, 2020
Montreal
I picked my 2021 SR+ last December and haven't done much winter driving since I work from home ever since the RONA started. The few times I did go out when it was snowing, the rear defroster didn't work. Brought it to SC last week and they replaced the rear window where the heating elements are located.

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or is it just another freak occurrence?

Space_CowBoy

Nov 30, 2020
Montreal
Mine currently doesn't work. Mobile service came out and supposedly fixed it but it still doesn't work.
I brought mine in on a Friday and Mobile service technicians at the SC checked it on Saturday and told me the car was ready and it was working and heating to 56 degrees celsius. I went in on Monday in the middle of a storm and told the service advisor I was confused since he told me they would be replacing the entire window. I told him I'm simply gonna take it out of the garage and dump some snow on it to see if it works. He was just as confused and got it re-checked on the spot. They replaced it within a couple of hours and I went to pick up the car the next day. I suggest you insist that it doesn't work and that they are wasting your time and money going back and forth. That seemed to light a fire under their "a**es" to get it fixed.

justsomeguy

Jul 4, 2019
Vancouver, Bc
I brought mine in on a Friday and Mobile service technicians at the SC checked it on Saturday and told me the car was ready and it was working and heating to 56 degrees celsius. I went in on Monday in the middle of a storm and told the service advisor I was confused since he told me they would be replacing the entire window. I told him I'm simply gonna take it out of the garage and dump some snow on it to see if it works. He was just as confused and got it re-checked on the spot. They replaced it within a couple of hours and I went to pick up the car the next day. I suggest you insist that it doesn't work and that they are wasting your time and money going back and forth. That seemed to light a fire under their "a**es" to get it fixed.
It honestly isn't wasting any of my time. Mobile service came out and fixed it while I was working, and I barely drive now and situations requiring defrost aren't so common during those few times that I do drive which is why it took me so long to figure out that he didn't actually fix anything.

Reactions: Space_CowBoy

stopcrazypp

Dec 8, 2007
Is there a way to test if mine works if I have nothing to defrost?
12/10/20 delivery
I had a defroster line cut from delivery. The easy way to test (even individual lines) is just to spray the glass with water from a spray bottle, then turn it on. If it works you should see the water evaporate/disappear from the places with the defroster lines.

Kat Jacks

Supporting Member
Sep 26, 2020
Maine
We had sleet and an ice storm last week. It was the first time I used my rear window defroster. It worked fine. I had used the front one a few times, and it works well too.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC