Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear facing car seat in 3rd row seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, new to TSC and new to the Tesla family :p

I am wondering if how does anyone install two rear facing car seats in your X and still have access to the 3rd row seat?

Or does anyone install second car seat in the 3rd row? If so, do you sit in the back with the little one. We are trying to take the car on a road trip and it will be 4 adults and two toddlers.

Any advice would be great....we really wanna drive to X and use autopilot...as opposed to renting another minivan!

Thanks!

I indirectly asked about this and got some good feedback (I was hoping to get three rear-facing working, but settled for two rear-facing and one forward facing in the 3rd row once we outgrow the infant carriers).

Short is 3rd row rear facing? no.
Can you access the third row with two rear facing in the 2nd row? Kind of.

My wife and I both have long arms, and are tall, so that probably came to our advantage for once, when it came to reaching into the 3rd row to adjust things (it does limit how far we can scoot the 2nd row forward, when driving; but to get to the 3rd row we need the front seat to be emptied to allow the 2nd row to move all the way forward without reaching the kneeling bit that would smack the child seat into the front seat). Some of this is from memory, since we tested back in January before putting our order in, and the car's now in production.

Oh, but can you get two adults into the 3rd row? That sounds like it'd be tricky getting behind the second row. You might be able to scoot in but I don't think it would be easy.

If only one adult needs to be in the 3rd row, maybe drop one of the 3rd row seats down? I forget if that's possible, but it might make it a little easier to get in.

Hi, new to TSC and new to the Tesla family :p

Welcome!

I am wondering if how does anyone install two rear facing car seats in your X and still have access to the 3rd row seat?

Yes, you still have access. Your ease of access will depend on the type of carseat and seating configuration you choose. The 6 seater and old 7 seat monoposts as an example have easy entry. One button and it moves both the first row and 2nd row to allow access to the back. We can get into the 3rd row with no major issues, sitting in there as a 6' tall person is another story... In short, the 6 seater makes it tremendously better than a 7 seater.

Now here's the trick, I see so many people get into the 3rd row seats the wrong way. Most people duck and crawl into those seats - like they would a minivan. It makes it extremely uncomfortable and requires a lot more space. What you want to do is step up on the ledge. The X doors give plenty of headroom (I'm ~6ft) and you're going to stay standing straight up. You step into the 3rd row space just as if you were walking behind someone sitting at a dinner table. Once you're in the 3rd row, just sit down. It makes it tremendously easier to get in and out of; but minivans have trained us to duck, squat walk, roll and fall into the seat.

Or does anyone install second car seat in the 3rd row? If so, do you sit in the back with the little one. We are trying to take the car on a road trip and it will be 4 adults and two toddlers.

It won't fit back there in a rear facing position, but it will fit in a front facing position.

Now here's the trick, I see so many people get into the 3rd row seats the wrong way. Most people duck and crawl into those seats - like they would a minivan. It makes it extremely uncomfortable and requires a lot more space. What you want to do is step up on the ledge. The X doors give plenty of headroom (I'm ~6ft) and you're going to stay standing straight up. You step into the 3rd row space just as if you were walking behind someone sitting at a dinner table. Once you're in the 3rd row, just sit down. It makes it tremendously easier to get in and out of; but minivans have trained us to duck, squat walk, roll and fall into the seat.

You know that part of ducking and rolling is to reduce the chance of death from decapitation or blunt force trauma from the FWD coming down on your head right?

It's easier than you think to triple click that door fob when wearing jeans and exiting the vehicle as the driver.

I myself instinctively stop, drop and roll when I hear that distinctive BEEP.

I'm also afraid of entering a Model X at a showroom as well. ;)

I am curious to try your method of entry once I conquer my fear of the above. :)

• Funny
Reactions: outie
Oh, but can you get two adults into the 3rd row? That sounds like it'd be tricky getting behind the second row. You might be able to scoot in but I don't think it would be easy.

If only one adult needs to be in the 3rd row, maybe drop one of the 3rd row seats down? I forget if that's possible, but it might make it a little easier to get in.

Thanks TooManySeats. This helps! So at least we can try getting the second car seat front facing in the 3rd row seat. It will be ideally to get one car seat and one adult per row...so it sounds like that is possible. I will need to play around with this...we only had the car for 2 months+

Thanks so much again!

Thanks
Welcome!

Yes, you still have access. Your ease of access will depend on the type of carseat and seating configuration you choose. The 6 seater and old 7 seat monoposts as an example have easy entry. One button and it moves both the first row and 2nd row to allow access to the back. We can get into the 3rd row with no major issues, sitting in there as a 6' tall person is another story... In short, the 6 seater makes it tremendously better than a 7 seater.

It won't fit back there in a rear facing position, but it will fit in a front facing position.

Thanks Yinn. We have the 7 seats configuration...we only used the 3rd row seat once...accessing it was not easy. We did the typical duck-squat walk-roll...I will have to try it "walking" back like you suggested. :)

You know that part of ducking and rolling is to reduce the chance of death from decapitation or blunt force trauma from the FWD coming down on your head right?

It's easier than you think to triple click that door fob when wearing jeans and exiting the vehicle as the driver.

I myself instinctively stop, drop and roll when I hear that distinctive BEEP.

I'm also afraid of entering a Model X at a showroom as well. ;)

I am curious to try your method of entry once I conquer my fear of the above. :)

ROFL....I know what you mean. I am still a little scared when I hear it beep...or what the FWD opens inside my garage - it something won't stop!!!

Hi @buddytheyorkie and welcome to TMC! Short answer is yes. I have 2 kids under the age of 3 and have 2 rear facing seats in the second row in our 6 seater 2017 MX. The car seats we use are 2 Nuna Ravas in the 2nd row.

My parents and sometimes my wife sit in the 3rd row and access it by using the second row seat button, and/or sometimes inbetween the driver seats and the second row, and down the center of the car where a middle seat would usually be. I programmed a seat memory to push the front seat all the way forward for anyone to get access to the 3rd row via this route. Once everyone is seated I'll hit the seat memory again back to my normal setting.

We do this sometimes. We sometimes put one of the car seats in the 3rd row, usually during road trips with others. However for everyday use, its easier getting the kids out of the 2nd row seats because of the FWD.