Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-facing jump seats install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

My CPO does not have built in Rear-facing jump seats, If I go with Tesla to install, it is asking me lot of money and I am not sure I will be using it that much. my question is, can we install it after taking delivery? maybe I can find it from some total car or some used somewhere!!

Thank you!

Guys,

My CPO does not have built in Rear-facing jump seats, If I go with Tesla to install, it is asking me lot of money and I am not sure I will be using it that much. my question is, can we install it after taking delivery? maybe I can find it from some total car or some used somewhere!!

Thank you!
I have taken these in and out of my car a few times, which was easy because they are mounted with just two screws. The big job is preparing for the install if the car hasn't had them before. This includes removing bumper for reinforcement bar, wiring the inside trunk opening button, mounting striker plates, cutting carpets, and installing rear seat back lock mechanism. Check out the parts list in the PDF

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10081820-5448.pdf

If your car is not a very early car, you will need a reinforcement brace as well as the mounting hardware. It's a real pain to retrofit a rear jumpseat in all but the earliest VINs.

Anything later than about VIN 4800 will need the reinforcement brace installed at Tesla, which is about $2500 or more, plus any of the hardware, plus the seats themselves.

If you have an early car, the brace will already be there, but you'll need the rest of the stuff.

The bumper reinforcement is ~$300 but Tesla won't sell it to you. Buy it from a Tesla certified shop that has access to Tesla parts or get one from ebay, generally they're the same price no matter where you get it. It's not difficult to install, you remove the bumper cover, then the bumper, and your car should already have the mounting bolts waiting for you to remove them and use to hold the reinforcement in place with. The bumper takes about an hour if it's your first time, the rest maybe a half hour depending on how long you spend fretting over cutting into your car, it's more mental exercise than physical effort.

Going rate for seat is ~$1000, I've seen as low as $700 and as high as $1500. Be sure to get the side strikers, a lot of sellers forget those.

The ease of install is identical for all Teslas ecept for 20 VINS from very early on that can't be retrofitted, I assume they do not have the reinforcement mount but I have never seen one to verify. If you have a very early car you already have the reinforcement and save yourself an hour of time and $300.

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc and Ritu_o0o
So, since I was born with two left hands. Could I just find the seats and bumper reinforcement on eBay, and take them to any random mechanic to have them installed?

I have also seen musings on the official Tesla forum about the hatch having a different kind of glass when the MS comes with jump seats from factory. Nonsense?

Hatch glass is identical, a completely inclusive list of original parts are: Rear bumper reinforcement, strikers, seat, rear hatch open switch, and the bolts etc to hold it all in place.

Anyone can do the install, so yes random shop is fine as long as they're willing.

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc
Anything later than about VIN 4800 will need the reinforcement brace installed at Tesla, which is about $2500 or more, plus any of the hardware, plus the seats themselves.

This isn’t exactly correct. Most MS in circulation will need to have the rear crossmember added inside the rear bumper, as is said above. But, Tesla simply refuses to do this now. Independent Tesla certified body shops can get the part and install it (your experience will vary about their willingness) for a part and labor cost around $300. Just for the crossmember. You still need to transfer over all the other parts.

And, about the switch - the cars are prewired for it, the switch activates the rear hatch so the kiddies have a way to let themselves out. If you don’t have power liftgate, the switch still works and just unlocks it so it can be pushed open.