Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Glass Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 366544 View attachment 366541 View attachment 366542 View attachment 366538 View attachment 366539 Here are a few pictures, but I think it is more noticeable in the pictures versus driving/in person. It basically seems like the window is tinted.

Great pictures, you really captured how they look.

I have them both and like them.

Keep in mind the rear one you lose some head room. Probably a good couple inches in some places.

Both stay in fine. I don't see any "gaps" mentioned.

It does diminish rear visibility slightly. But then it helps at night to cut down rear view glare.

I bought them to help suppress cabin noise. But they should help summer heat. And I think they help retain cabin heat as well.

View attachment 366544 View attachment 366541 View attachment 366542 View attachment 366538 View attachment 366539 Here are a few pictures, but I think it is more noticeable in the pictures versus driving/in person. It basically seems like the window is tinted.

@TD_alseT,

How exactly do the “clips” work? Do they insert between the glass and roof liner crossbeam and then clip the shade into them? Can you take a closeup on the clip itself? Is it attached to the screen?

Ski

Reactions: Jaywlker
F162C959-EC9F-4F5E-84D2-298417E22ED3.jpeg
14015BFB-28A3-4FAF-9FC8-A69910F4F0A4.jpeg
F875B216-319F-43F5-A362-B5657E2A6994.jpeg
F162C959-EC9F-4F5E-84D2-298417E22ED3.jpeg
14015BFB-28A3-4FAF-9FC8-A69910F4F0A4.jpeg
@TD_alseT,

How exactly do the “clips” work? Do they insert between the glass and roof liner crossbeam and then clip the shade into them? Can you take a closeup on the clip itself? Is it attached to the screen?

Ski

The clips utilize a compresion fit onto a flexible wire band that is approximately the same size as your interior ceiling window openings. The wire offers structural support for the netting/fabric that provides shade-sun blocking. On the side of the clip opposite from where it attaches to the wire and netting, it has a small “wing” or wedge of platic that mates between the glass and the roof liner. The front shade has four of these, and the rear shade has three. The very rear of the back window shade does not need a clip because that section of shade rests on the ledge behind the rear seats.

Attachments

• 1B0F8F3D-7DB1-4932-9E1D-84033109BF49.jpeg
    1B0F8F3D-7DB1-4932-9E1D-84033109BF49.jpeg
    607.4 KB · Views: 182
Mines never been out of the bag and I’ve gone through a Texas summer. You don’t need it for heat, anyway.

How do you find the actual sun glare though? Since moving to Houston, I’ve kept my sunroof closed permanently during the summer so light isn’t coming in behind my sunglasses. Is the tint on the roof strong enough for that here? Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker
How do you find the actual sun glare though? Since moving to Houston, I’ve kept my sunroof closed permanently during the summer so light isn’t coming in behind my sunglasses. Is the tint on the roof strong enough for that here? Thanks.
The roof, yes, no problem. I put tint, well, John Gray did lol, on windows. 75 front and 35 all else. From the inside windows don’t look as dark as photos suggest. No glare.

Attachments

• BF8D6326-EEFF-4048-8594-F132820DE864.jpeg
    BF8D6326-EEFF-4048-8594-F132820DE864.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 170
  • A5A7FDE0-0F30-4DF7-BCE1-A16F9CEE8A73.jpeg
    A5A7FDE0-0F30-4DF7-BCE1-A16F9CEE8A73.jpeg
    566.7 KB · Views: 167
Has anyone tried to put the smaller front sunshade in the rear? It looks like it is fairly transparent but still don't like losing any more visibility out of the rear window than I need to.

I bought the SunShade Set for a Model S Off Amazon fairly cheaply ($100) for the same reason. One fit fairly well over the tint area in the back window. It will be short on the sides (1 inch?). I made some make shift clips to attach to the glass. It looked pretty good.

I really doubt the front model 3 screen will fit the front half of the back of the model 3. The shapes are very non regular. You can’t even put the front one in backwards because it’s tapered.

Try measuring.

I was also thinking of buying the model 3 rear screen and cut the mesh out where the glass is clear. Not sure how that would have gone ;)

I ended up liking it just the way the model 3 rear was meant to be. It has way less impact than you might think. I barely notice it. Occasionally the sun will hit it at an odd angle and you can’t see out. Similar to a dirty window if you light it up just right you can’t see through it. This is pretty rare though. It’s like looking through a screen door/window on your house.

Thanks...interesting idea to cut part of the rear sunshade material to keep the rear view completely open. I think I'll go with what you suggest and just get both of them. Not so much worried about sun/heat but if it can cut down the noise that would be great.

Thanks for this picture. Do you notice any reduction in cabin noise with this in place?
I don't think it really impacts road noise overall, but sound within the cabin seems a bit dampened. Sort of like the difference between talking in a room devoid of furniture and wall hangings, and talking in a room with fabric items around to absorb the echo. At any rate I'm fairly happy with both front and rear sunshades.

I don't think it really impacts road noise overall, but sound within the cabin seems a bit dampened. Sort of like the difference between talking in a room devoid of furniture and wall hangings, and talking in a room with fabric items around to absorb the echo. At any rate I'm fairly happy with both front and rear sunshades.

That's exactly what it does.

And if you make "noise" in an undamped room vs a damped room it is harsher on your ears in the undamped room.

I think it's combination of absorbing some high frequencies and reducing reflections reaching your ears.

It's easier to talk to someone in the car and it's easier to talk to someone on the phone.

So, I ordered the rear shade on a whim and have been using it for the past week. Unfortunately I don't really like it. It diminishes the rear view quite a bit, particularly in low-light situations. But even in broad daylight it distorts everything heavily. Not really comparable to a tint. It also looks a bit cheap to me (I think it's because it has some wrinkles near the frame) and hangs a bit loose and sags (more so than the front version), so you lose at least 2 inches of headroom on the rear seats.

I didn't notice any improvements in preventing glare (the auto-dimming mirror works quite well for me), nor any change in sound quality. Perhaps in summer I'll try if it mitigates the heat (but I doubt it). In summary I would recommend the front shade, but not necessarily the rear one.

Last edited: