Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear hatch privacy cover.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steve (the owner and author of the previous post) texted me today and we trouble-shooted and not it's working great! I ended up using velcro on the rear hooks and so far that's keeping the hooks where I want them. Best part is I can still remove the hooks to get them out of the way when I need to remove the shelf for extra storage space. Thanks Steve!

I can't figure out how to edit my prior post but it should have said "it's now working great" instead of "not".

Reactions: 2000154
I've been working on a few options for the carabiners, srlawren. One is a simple velcro strap that replaces the carabiner. Easy to install, easy to remove, no sound, no damage. I personally don't like it quite as much, but I do want to give folks a quick release option that they want. On reason you don't hear any noise from the carabiner is that it is outside of the hatch seal. Any minor sound coming from it is not inside the cabin to be heard.

The other option is a drilled installation. This is a simple thing, and almost invisible once done. I've used this with the VoltShelves I've sold for over 6 years, without a complaint from anyone about drilling or using these. I chose not to offer this option from the start with the Model Y as I did not think Model Y owners would be that interested in it. Once installed, the lifting strings are extremely easy to put on and take off, and you really don't even notice the trim button that is installed. It simply becomes a part of the car. I am now working to develop this option fully before making it available to all. I can supply all 3 of the alternatives so folks can have the choice for themselves.

@2000154 thanks for the detailed reply. I'm very impressed that you keep working at the product and refining it and offering more options. I do like the look of the drilled installation, though admittedly I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling my (eventual) new Tesla. I'd have to think about that one. Velcro might be the more comfortable option for me, but I'd give that some thought. Thanks again for your reply and continued innovation.

@2000154 thanks for the detailed reply. I'm very impressed that you keep working at the product and refining it and offering more options. I do like the look of the drilled installation, though admittedly I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling my (eventual) new Tesla. I'd have to think about that one. Velcro might be the more comfortable option for me, but I'd give that some thought. Thanks again for your reply and continued innovation.

Thank you, srlawren. Nothing is ever perfect, and there is nothing wrong with a little ongoing development. The ModelYShelf product is good and will certainly fill a need for many. Tweaks to make it even better aren't a bad thing. And I have always considered my products to be sort of "open source" so I'm all for customer input. Several of the biggest innovations we have made on thing have come from customer requests for little tweaks to meet their needs.

The drilled installation really is a GREAT way to go. I knew Model Y owners would be very reluctant to drill for this, so I just didn't go there from the start. But it is plenty easy to incorporate into the design and ship with the parts and instructions to do it both ways. The carabiners are a very simple and easy solution, but I do understand that folks have a bit of trepidation about them as well. I am also working on simple Velcro straps in place of the carabiners to eliminate some of the concern about them as well. This will make the instructions a bit more complicated to read through, but it is good to have options.

And a few last words about the drilled installation and options. Once done, the trim buttons that are installed are permanent and really won't be noticed. They just disappear into the black background. The no-drill installation was introduced for folks that didn't want to drill, or didn't have the tools or feel comfortable doing this. (It really isn't hard or a big job...) Lease holders liked this option as it took any worry about the trim buttons being an issue when they return the car out of it for them. And there have been no reports ever of them being noticed or an issue on a final inspection. The carabiners came along recently to make the no-drill installation even easier, and to make unhooking the lifting strings a snap in this configuration. You can still do the no-drill installation without the carabineers, no problem. I am very optimistic that the velcro straps will take any concern out of that as well. In other words, customers get to decide which option is best for them and their use. My typical advice when discussion the many options with customers is to start with the easiest and least invasive option, then move to others if and when you feel it necessary.

HTH and thank you again for your support,

Steve

Reactions: vi9cki
I want one. Will order after we take delivery. Maybe 3M Command Strip with a hook to support the back ends on each side? There is a product called Sugru that is a moldable glue/rubber that can be used to fashion rests on each side in the back. It will come off clean if you ever decide to remove it.

I want one. Will order after we take delivery. Maybe 3M Command Strip with a hook to support the back ends on each side? There is a product called Sugru that is a moldable glue/rubber that can be used to fashion rests on each side in the back. It will come off clean if you ever decide to remove it.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

We have experimented extensively with command hooks and strips with the VoltShelf. The adhesive only holds for a short time, Almost certaintly due to the heat that builds up inside of a car. Sugru looks interesting, but it is non structural and may have trouble bonding to the plastic sidewalls from what I have read about it. I'll get some and do some experimenting with it for a couple of possibilities. Thanks for this input!

Steve

The screw in trim buttons on post 99 seem like the right answer to me. They look OEM and look like they will perform well. Once folks have had the car long enough to get some wear and tear on it, two screws won't seem so bad.
They are absolutely awesome for this purpose. We are working on the specific installation instructions for them now. I am planning to supply these with the with all ModelYShelf kits going forward. You are correct, drilling the holes for these is intimidating, especially with a brand new car. That is why I did not specify this for the ModelYShelf from the beginning. We are also working on a less intrusive version of something similar that is in testing now. This will be a great solution if it pans out. (Thanks, Rob!!!) Here is a sneak peak:

Clip Installation 1.jpg
Clip Installation 1.jpg

They are absolutely awesome for this purpose. We are working on the specific installation instructions for them now. I am planning to supply these with the with all ModelYShelf kits going forward. You are correct, drilling the holes for these is intimidating, especially with a brand new car. That is why I did not specify this for the ModelYShelf from the beginning. We are also working on a less intrusive version of something similar that is in testing now. This will be a great solution if it pans out. (Thanks, Rob!!!) Here is a sneak peak:

View attachment 612016View attachment 612016

Been lurking on this chat and I am definitely interested in purchasing this cover.

I see your profile states you are in Rochester. I'm in North Jersey and wonder if would you be open to selling the cover for pickup in your relative local area? I've been itching to go on a road trip since COVID hit.

Reactions: 2000154
Been lurking on this chat and I am definitely interested in purchasing this cover.

I see your profile states you are in Rochester. I'm in North Jersey and wonder if would you be open to selling the cover for pickup in your relative local area? I've been itching to go on a road trip since COVID hit.

Absolutely, CknNutBread! We sell a lot of things right here at the shop! Let me know what color/material you want and when you are coming, I'll have it ready for you. And best of all, you'll get a free charge while you are here, a cold drink to refresh your spirit, and I'll install it for you. Even better, you'll get a complimentary tour of the TeslaShop and VoltShop. And there is ALWAYS something cool going on at the shop!!

Reactions: alexcue
Hi Everyone,

Time for a quick update on the ModelYShelf. I've now heard from several folks that a little Velcro on the rear support hooks completely resolves the concerns some have expressed, making them more stable and secure in place. Effective immediately, I am going to add this to the specification for the rear hooks. And the small clips for the lifting strings seem to be working out very well. All ModelYShelves are now shipping with all 3 options for mounting the lifting strings, velcro straps for the hatch strut mounts, trim panel clips for the simplest option, and the trim buttons for the drilled installation if you want to go that route. Each has its advantages, I encourage folks to start with the simplest and move to the others if they see a need.

I have always seen the VoltShelf, and now the ModelYShelf as a versatile thing, something that can be installed and customized to meet your individual wants and needs. The multiple mounting modes is a very good example of this. The only right way to install this is the one that works best for your own needs.

I have noted that some folks want an option to order directly from the website. That day will come, but for now, as a custom or semi-custom item, I do want to make sure everyone gets their questions answered and we get your order right. (You don't order this kind of thing every day- there are bound to be questions!) and understands that there is a real and caring person out there behind this product. I suppose that makes me a little old fashioned, but I am ok with that.

Finally, the holiday season is upon us. Things in the shop are busy, but we have plenty of time to get orders filled and on the way before it gets too late. VoltShelves have been a popular gift item for as long as I've been making them, and the ModelYShelf should be as well. They are in use every day, and you'll be thought of kindly every time someone opens the trunk. What's not to love about that?

Last edited:
Steve (the owner and author of the previous post) texted me today and we trouble-shooted and not it's working great! I ended up using velcro on the rear hooks and so far that's keeping the hooks where I want them. Best part is I can still remove the hooks to get them out of the way when I need to remove the shelf for extra storage space. Thanks Steve!
I am having same trouble you described for the rear hooks, do you have a picture of what you did with the velcro to solve this problem? Thanks

You put the velcro on the cars side wall trim and the hook....so when you remove the hook, the velcro is still visible...correct? Also, do you use another velcro piece on the other side of the hook and behind the sidewalk trim?

Correct, Velcro on the cars side trim and the hook so if you remove the hook you still see the velcro. I don't have any velcro behind the sidewall trim.