Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear hatch privacy cover.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has been lots of speculation (speculation on TMC forums?! Weird I know) about whether there will be a privacy cover for the rear like the model S. I saw someone share this photo which seems to suggest we will be getting the privacy cover. What do you all think?
B93C755F-B1EF-4D66-8C09-C5294094574C.jpeg

Reactions: mhcrowder
That looks like a render, so I don’t think you can draw conclusions based on it, but that looks like the top of the third row seat.

I’m interested in a cargo cover too, but none of the photos have shown any indication that there is the normal slots for one. I’m thinking I’ll probably use the frunk for stuff I don’t want to leave uncovered.

Also have wondered if the cargo cover in my 4Runner implies I’m hiding something good in the back...

That looks like a render, so I don’t think you can draw conclusions based on it, but that looks like the top of the third row seat.

I’m interested in a cargo cover too, but none of the photos have shown any indication that there is the normal slots for one. I’m thinking I’ll probably use the frunk for stuff I don’t want to leave uncovered.

Also have wondered if the cargo cover in my 4Runner implies I’m hiding something good in the back...
I had been thinking we haven't been getting much media featuring the 7 seat option, so this must be the cargo cover. But its a great point that since its a render, it can be any version.

Now that deliveries have started, many of the photos and videos have shown that there is no cargo cover. A strange omission. I guess Tesla thinks that people will use the under-floor storage or the frunk. Doesn't help me personally though - my wife frequently transports musical instruments which are *not* going to fit in either of those compartments! :(

Doesn't help me personally though - my wife frequently transports musical instruments which are *not* going to fit in either of those compartments! :(
In a similar situation here... I always like to have a privacy cover or something to obscure the back contents.
What I do is always have an old blanket or painter's drop-cloth in the back. Have it tacked-down at the front (forward) of the cargo compartment, then when you put items in there can pull it back to cover the stuff.

Doesn't stop people from breaking windows and stealing your stuff, but maybe "out of sight" is better than "open temptation".

Crafting idea: have an old blanket and tie pieces of junk scraps to it so it becomes like a camoflauge net that looks like a pile of trash. old rags, styrofoam cups, old fast-food bags, etc... Make the back of your Model Y look like a hoarder's car. LoL.

In a similar situation here... I always like to have a privacy cover or something to obscure the back contents.
What I do is always have an old blanket or painter's drop-cloth in the back. Have it tacked-down at the front (forward) of the cargo compartment, then when you put items in there can pull it back to cover the stuff.

Doesn't stop people from breaking windows and stealing your stuff, but maybe "out of sight" is better than "open temptation".

Crafting idea: have an old blanket and tie pieces of junk scraps to it so it becomes like a camoflauge net that looks like a pile of trash. old rags, styrofoam cups, old fast-food bags, etc... Make the back of your Model Y look like a hoarder's car. LoL.
This makes me want to become a hoarder with a Tesla.

From what I've seen on other Internet musings on this subject, I must be the only one to have noticed that the rear speakers on the inside of the hatch are BELOW where a cargo cover would be located so I'm pretty sure that's the main reason Tesla didn't include this option. You'd hear muffled sound from there if you had a cover at the height other cars have them. Therefore, I predict Tesla will never include this option.

WELCOME TO THE VOLTSHOP!

I've been in contact with him. looking pretty OEM based on what he's shown me

He designed and manufactured versions for both Gen I and Gen II Volts. They were well crafted, fit, and functioned very nicely. So there is 3rd party hope after all. Where there is a will, there is a way. I suspect the early bird will get the worm as the first vendor to get one to market will be able to advertise "The Original". Let the competition begin.

But I would like one.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Window Tint is total limo style black out. Privacy is not a concern.

As someone with sport utility vehicles for years.. storage covers can provide privacy and also a "finished" look to rear. The trade-off, however, is that you constantly uninstall and reinstall cover each time you need to haul anything of any size.. which happens more often than I would have guessed (twice last week).

All in all, with the great privacy glass on the Y, this is a non-issue.