Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Hatch Protection Model Y Bumper Design Defect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that picture is a perfect example showing how people can have different views
on what is attractive, and what is ugly. It's all in the eye of the beholder. :)

m3-bumper-protction-black-jpg.530657

I don't find those Boxster extra bumper guard protection to be particularly good looking but they are neither an eyesore.

Porsche Boxters Rear Bumper 4.jpg

Porsche Boxters Rear Bumper 5.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I don't find those Boxster extra bumper guard protection to be particularly good looking but they are neither an eyesore.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. What one person finds acceptable, another may find reprehensibly ugly. Arguing about the point is useless. Some people find walnuts delicious, I find them horribly, horribly disgusting. No matter how many people tell me they're delicious, I'll still hate them. No matter what I say to those same people about how walnuts are putrid, they will still love them. And that is as it should be.

No offense intended, but maybe you should hold off buying ANY expensive car until you take the need to improve your driving skills seriously?

Here is the aftermarket accessory I think you're looking for:

View attachment 530263
I live in New York City and park on street and plan to get a Tesla. You can be the best driver and still get damage from others who are just parallel parking. I do consider it a design flaw not to either have the ability to withstand a 5 mph touch without major damage costs. OR have attachment points for extensions that could provide that protection. Not everyone lives in the burns with a garage and never parks their car in a place where others can damage your car.

Bump (pun intended).

Had a 3 mph impact with the rear bumper of a Honda CRV, totally my fault. Father in law parked behind me in my driveway and i had no idea or reason to look. Lesson learned.

Honda had 0 damage. My hatch crumpled and it is $10K+ to replace (for real!!!). A sacrifice panel would he nice. Live and learn, first accident in 25+ years of driving.

Paintless dent shop would not touch it.

Attachments

• F5B475D0-77F1-467F-9A56-104C6C7D26CE.jpeg
    F5B475D0-77F1-467F-9A56-104C6C7D26CE.jpeg
    437.1 KB · Views: 37
Bump (pun intended).

Had a 3 mph impact with the rear bumper of a Honda CRV, totally my fault. Father in law parked behind me in my driveway and i had no idea or reason to look. Lesson learned.

Honda had 0 damage. My hatch crumpled and it is $10K+ to replace (for real!!!). A sacrifice panel would he nice. Live and learn, first accident in 25+ years of driving.

Paintless dent shop would not touch it.
I had a 13x13 coleman canopy get picked up in some wind, break the tie downs and come right down onto of my Mini Cooper the one day I left it in my driveway. Got one of those paintless dent repair kits to fix it. Took a bit of work to pull up the dents and get use to hot glue pulling. Thats a bugger of a spot with the creases. Could probably pull up the deeper impacts but getting the rest of it right would take many hours of tamping it down and pulling it up.

Last edited: