Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Hatch Protection Model Y Bumper Design Defect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the height where the hatch starts? Is that lower than crossovers in its class? If it is, is the loading height lower for a Tesla? Was this a double edge sword that Tesla can't win?

Good question, but I think Tesla has already won. I like how easy it is to load heavy bags full of sporting goods in the back of the Y. I like to be able to sit comfortably in the back under the hatch, almost like the Y had a tailgate. After a session surfing or kiteboarding, there is nothing in the world as pleasurable as sitting on your tailgate, or a Y back floor, tipping back a beer and watching the ocean or watching a buddy get 65 feet of air. I would not change the hatch of the Y for anything. I am confident enough in my driving skills that I don't fear backing in to a tree.

The bottom of the hatch on my Y PUP is just over 24" high. It's also about 3/4" in from the bulge of the bumper. So VERY minor scuffs that are that high will not damage the hatch. If I rear end a Y with my '92 K1500 Blazer, I'm going to be paying for a new hatch for the guy. BUT, if I rear end a Juke, a Rogue, A Pathfinder, etc, etc, etc, I will ALSO be paying for a new hatch. Our rogue had a hatch that was also 24" high, the Juke was 18". So the Juke, even though the hatch was recessed from the bumper, was more susceptible to rear end hatch impact damage than the Y, as are most compact crossovers. No one screams and whines about that. The Rogue, still today, is just as susceptible to rear end impact hatch damage as the Y. The only thing the Y is more susceptible to as far as hatch damage is the Y driver backing in to a vertical object. If the warning beeps and the huge back up display aren't enough to prevent that, then that driver is going to be running in to things and damaging his car anyways, regardless of what car they're driving. And if they're backing so fast that they do more than ding the sheet metal, if they do structural damage, then they are too stupid to be driving any car and I have no sympathy for them. No car is idiot proof--although many idiots wish they were. :)

I will say that rear visibility for backing the Y would be horrendous if not for the back up camera. But it does have a back up camera and with the huge screen rear visibility is better than any legacy car I've driven. Rear visibility is sufficient while driving. Not outstanding, but sufficient.

So we are left with errors committed by the driver of the Y that are a threat to the hatch. The OP mentioned he had three such errors in a year, that led me to the conclusion that the OP is a horrible, horrible driver and should make some kind of effort to improve his driving skills. I'm not thrilled with the idea of sharing the road with someone who can't avoid running in to things, or can't learn to look in the rear view mirror before slamming on the brakes. Or maybe he needs to learn to drive in such a fashion that he doesn't need to slam on his brakes so often. Maybe he needs people to ridicule his driving. Maybe he'll take steps to improve. Maybe that will save his life, or someone else's life.

Gosh thats a lot of attitude and unsubstantiated conclusions...which are completely wrong! So while you dont think you are a troll - you sure can come off like one.

I think that picture is a perfect example showing how people can have different views on what is attractive, and what is ugly. It's all in the eye of the beholder. :)

I was surprised by how many cars in San Francisco had those ugly rub strips glued to bumpers. My relatives who live there said that street parking is murder on bumpers due to the number of drivers who parallel park by “touch.” Tiny spaces and impatient drivers also don’t help.

Reactions: ahmadr
Gosh thats a lot of attitude and unsubstantiated conclusions...which are completely wrong! So while you dont think you are a troll - you sure can come off like one.

I have been know to have little patience. For now I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're a valid poster. I owe you an apology then; I apologize. I would hope you might understand my conclusion when you consider your very first post was an attack that seems to me unsubstantiated. You weren't looking for guidance on the issue, just slamming a car you've never even seen in the flesh. That's very typical Troll behavior.

If you live in an area with lots of folks with high bumpers that drive by touch I can see your concern I guess. Anyways, as I've pointed out, if someone damages your hatch during a driving by touch maneuver, the design characteristic you're worried about won't matter. If their bumper is high enough to scrape your hatch, they're going to scrape your hatch even if it's recessed a few inches. Those rub strips aren't going to protect your hatch no matter what hatchback your driving. All they'll do is protect your paint from light scuffs, if that. If drivers or driving conditions in your area are that bad, I wouldn't own a nice car. Instead, get an old leaf and a security dash cam and make money suing all the asshats who scrape your car.

Reactions: ragedogg69
I have been know to have little patience. For now I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're a valid poster. I owe you an apology then; I apologize. I would hope you might understand my conclusion when you consider your very first post was an attack that seems to me unsubstantiated. You weren't looking for guidance on the issue, just slamming a car you've never even seen in the flesh. That's very typical Troll behavior.

If you live in an area with lots of folks with high bumpers that drive by touch I can see your concern I guess. Anyways, as I've pointed out, if someone damages your hatch during a driving by touch maneuver, the design characteristic you're worried about won't matter. If their bumper is high enough to scrape your hatch, they're going to scrape your hatch even if it's recessed a few inches. Those rub strips aren't going to protect your hatch no matter what hatchback your driving. All they'll do is protect your paint from light scuffs, if that. If drivers or driving conditions in your area are that bad, I wouldn't own a nice car. Instead, get an old leaf and a security dash cam and make money suing all the asshats who scrape your car.

Thank you for your apology. Actually only one of these rear ends way my fault, a slow roll backwards on an incline while stopped at a light and bumped into the driver behind me and bent their license plate on the truck (I was definitely distracted at the time). I was surprised that the Tesla would roll backwards - because it was set to auto stop. Also there was no rear notification given - something that my Yukon would have alerted me to.

I still remember when Consumer Reports used to do a “bumper basher” test as part of their standard test methodology. It would be interesting to see an objective comparison of a 5 MPH rear impact.

While I would agree — it looks like the Model Y liftgate will take the impact (and damage) being that it’s flush with the edge of the bumper — I’d be interested in seeing how other designs fare in a standardized test (with someone else’s car :) ). Behind the plastic bumper cover is the actual “bumper” — will the plastic bumper cover on other vehicles flex and not really offer any incremental protection, even though it’s out a few inches beyond the liftgate?

Reactions: Watts_Up
Here are some example of cars with tail gates and rear bumpers similar to the Model Y,
but in general the very lower part of the bumper provides a little crumpling zone to protect the tail gate.

Don't t you think that the Model Y bumper should provide a similar protection?
The only draw back would be to have the Model Y length increase by a couple of inches.

2019-Jaguar-I-Pace-EV400-SE-rear-dynamic.jpg

img1075008559-1531926538758.jpg

20200408_145043.jpg

20200408_145051.jpg

Model-Y-CARB-certification_f5c92729-a4ff-4996-84fd-13becf88b9f6_1600x.png

f373ba1sbam21.png

Here are some example of cars with tail gates and rear bumpers similar to the Model Y,
but in general the very lower part of the bumper provides a little crumpling zone to protect the tail gate.

Don't t you think that the Model Y bumper should provide a similar protection?
The only draw back would be to have the Model Y length increase by a couple of inches.

No, I don't agree. First off, my opinion--and it's hard to tell from just these pictures--is that all of these cars provide no more protection to the hatch than the Y does. In fact, I would bet that each and every one is worse than the Y. Why?

Picture #1: The recess for the license plate eliminates all supposed protection for the hatch. That said, it looks like the hatch is as high as the Y's hatch, so it falls under the same conditions I pointed out earlier in the thread.

Picture #2: I can't see the hatch line so I can't evaluate it.

Pictures #3 and #4 (The same car.): The hatch is much lower than the Y and is far more vulnerable to damage than the Y's hatch.

It's interesting to me that no one has even tried to address my point about the height of the hatch and the fact that any bumper high enough to damage the hatch on the Y is going to damage the hatch on ANY hatch back. I've not seen this addressed anywhere. Obviously, it's because it's not possible to factually contradict the point. It's simple fact. A bumper high enough to hit the hatch will not be impeded by another bumper that is below it. Period. It's not the bumper sticking out, unless it sticks out a LOT. It's how high is the bumper and how high is the hatch. You could extend the Y's bumper 16 inches--which nobody does--and if I rear end a Y my front bumper is still going to hit the Y's hatch. I get that reporters like to lie so they get lots of clicks; I do not get how people here do not understand that simple fact.

I do get now that if you live somewhere where other drivers are often scraping your bumper while parking that a hatch is not a good idea. Any hatch. Again, and please try and understand this, if another car scrapes a Y's hatch, they would have scraped any hatch made that sits at that height. Which is 98% of them. The only way to fix that is to raise the hatch so high that usability for this segment is ruined. If that is you, get a full sized SUV. That is the only way you are going to address your issue and retain a hatch.

This is a made up issue. Period. If you think there is a hatchback that has a hatch that won't won't be damaged by a high bumper, same as the Y, I'll make you a deal. You buy that hatch back. Drive it to Portland. You sign a release and let me ram it with my Blazer. If my Blazer suffers more than a few scratches and I fail to demolish your hatch--and probably your whole car--I'll give you $2000, I'll buy your hatchback for what you paid for it, and I'll pay for all of your transportation. If I'm right, I won't ask for anything. I'll settle for the joy in revealing the truth and the fun of totaling your hatchback while I only need a can of spray paint to fix my Blazer. So come on now. Anyone that thinks they're right, put your money where your mouth is or it's all B.S. You really think a couple of inches of plastic bumper cover are going to protect a hatch? Prove it. LOL.

Just got my Model Y and I love it despite its panel gaps and even misaligned driver side window that smacks the glass pillar when I close the door (that gets fixed on Wednesday). I park tandem in a garage back to back with a Audi Q3 and if we ever hit there would definitely be tailgate damage - but I’m very careful so don’t see it as a problem. I’ve enjoyed the low hatch to sit for lunch tailgate style while the hatch gave me some protection from a little rain - it’s worth it to me.... I live in SAn Francisco- most Street parking will be parallel and you’re at the mercy of other vehicles moving in and out of tight spots. I do everything I can to avoid street parking. I’ll upload some pics soon of the Y and the Q3 back to back.

Reactions: Nakk
I live in San Francisco- most Street parking will be parallel and you’re at the mercy of other vehicles moving in and out of tight spots.
I do everything I can to avoid street parking. I’ll upload some pics soon of the Y and the Q3 back to back.
When I park in the street, in general I put a bumper protection above my rear bumper.
However, this is more difficult to protect the front of the car.

Many cars, and pickup trucks, don't have a rear view camera,
so they might hit the front of the car behind them when maneuvering.

I got the top of my front bumper deeply damaged by the screws holding the license plate of I suppose a pickup truck.
It must not have been a violent hit so the sentry mode didn't saved any recording.
This is a bad eyesore, I try fixing it with some touch paint but this is not as smooth and still noticeable.

I have a front license plate and a 1" bumper on top of the license but this didn't prevent any damage.
I got a $1,700 estimate just for getting my front bumper painted.
The bumper don't need to be replace, but need to be removed for painting. See estimate below:

ESTIMATE TOTALS
Category -------------------- Basis ----------------- Rate ----------- Cost $
Parts (Rpr Bumper cover) ------------------------------------------------------ 34.00
Body Labor ------------ 6.6 hrs @ ---------------- $ 113.85 /hr --------- 751.41
Paint Labor ------------ 5.3 hrs @ ---------------- $ 113.85 /hr --------- 603.41
Paint Supplies -------- 5.3 hrs @ ---------------- $ 55.00 /hr ----------- 291.50
Subtotal ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1,680.32
Sales Tax -------------- $ 325.50 @ -------------- 9.0000 % ----------------- 29.30
Grand Total -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1,709.62

I wonder how much exposed is the Model Y top front bumper.
- Could you measure the height from the ground of the front top bumper lip and its distance from the bumper hedge?
- And may be show a picture when parked behind another car or close to a wall?

tesla-model-3  Front Bumper .jpg

Tesla has design goals. All result in some comprimises. Believe their design goals in this case was aerodynamic drag, impact repair considerations, overall length of vehicle, cosmetics, costs, future tow capability, and ease of manufacturer.

In this case, under certain circumstances, there could be impacts that require expensive repairs. That is pretty much inherent in most stylish cars.

Biggest issue is with off street parking in congested urban areas. These are pretty much battle grounds, with hundreds of bumper swipes daily. Most all these street parked cars show scratched corners and center impacts from license plate mounting screws and exposed trailer hitches. Some even keep their hitches installed at all times to intimidate those wishing to snuggle up to them.

I guess if this is a major issue for determining the type of vehicle you choose, others with better armor might be a better choice.

Cars cannot be all things to all people.

One guy with a problem should not cause a major design redo for an amazingly capable car in other areas.

For OP, perhaps installing a trailer hitch with ball, plus a heavy duty steel horizontal bar might be an effective solution.

• Disagree
Reactions: ahmadr
When I park in the street, in general I put a bumper protection above my rear bumper.
However, this is more difficult to protect the front of the car.

Many cars, and pickup trucks, don't have a rear view camera,
so they might hit the front of the car behind them when maneuvering.

I got the top of my front bumper deeply damaged by the screws holding the license plate of I suppose a pickup truck.
It must not have been a violent hit so the sentry mode didn't saved any recording.
This is a bad eyesore, I try fixing it with some touch paint but this is not as smooth and still noticeable.

I have a front license plate and a 1" bumper on top of the license but this didn't prevent any damage.
I got a $1,700 estimate just for getting my front bumper painted.
The bumper don't need to be replace, but need to be removed for painting. See estimate below:

ESTIMATE TOTALS
Category -------------------- Basis ----------------- Rate ----------- Cost $
Parts (Rpr Bumper cover) ------------------------------------------------------ 34.00
Body Labor ------------ 6.6 hrs @ ---------------- $ 113.85 /hr --------- 751.41
Paint Labor ------------ 5.3 hrs @ ---------------- $ 113.85 /hr --------- 603.41
Paint Supplies -------- 5.3 hrs @ ---------------- $ 55.00 /hr ----------- 291.50
Subtotal ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1,680.32
Sales Tax -------------- $ 325.50 @ -------------- 9.0000 % ----------------- 29.30
Grand Total -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1,709.62

I wonder how much exposed is the Model Y top front bumper.
- Could you measure the height from the ground of the front top bumper lip and its distance from the bumper hedge?
- And may be show a picture when parked behind another car or close to a wall?

View attachment 531306
In addition to getting bumped from behind - my front bumper was sideswiped by a driver doing an illegal pass of a stopped car at an intersection - then took off. After getting sky high estimates from shops authorized to repaint the bumper, it turned out to be much easier and less expensive to just have Tesla replace the bumper. Although it was a little more difficult to explain that to the insurance company.

In addition to getting bumped from behind - my front bumper was sideswiped by a driver doing an illegal pass of a stopped car at an intersection - then took off. After getting sky high estimates from shops authorized to repaint the bumper, it turned out to be much easier and less expensive to just have Tesla replace the bumper. Although it was a little more difficult to explain that to the insurance company.
And it would be faster, a body shop would ask keeping the car for the full week.

Did you get an estimate from Tesla for getting a new front bumper?