Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Hatch Water Intrusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First drive in medium rain. Water got into the rear hatch, in between the rubber. See pics below.
Have others seen this happen?

It's quite some water there, for sure more than it looks like on the pictures.

20230927_193702.jpg
20230927_193653.jpg

I have the same issue, but Tesla couldn't reproduce it. But now I'm realizing what the real issue seems to be: the hatch is misaligned. This is not a bumper adjustment issue, it's a body/assembly issue. My heart sank when I realized this. Is this fixable and will Tesla fix it? My car is 8 months old, and this was an issue from the beginning, but it took this long to realize. I'm 3 hours from service and they don't do mobile, which also contributed to why it took this long.

I brought mine in for service about 10 days ago. They did some caulking in the rear hatch, I think, as there was quite the solvent smell when I picked up the car. Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue. Driving home from the appointment in moderate rain, I found water past the seals again when I arrived.
I have another appointment at a different service center this week, keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Reactions: dzajic
I have the same issue, but Tesla couldn't reproduce it. But now I'm realizing what the real issue seems to be: the hatch is misaligned. This is not a bumper adjustment issue, it's a body/assembly issue. My heart sank when I realized this. Is this fixable and will Tesla fix it? My car is 8 months old, and this was an issue from the beginning, but it took this long to realize. I'm 3 hours from service and they don't do mobile, which also contributed to why it took this long.
Take pictures of the water to show them in the service center. Also, print out the first page of the TSB and show it to them.
What makes you think that it's an alignment issue and not coming through the hatch, as described in the TSB?
(Not doubting you, just trying to investigate and find more data points)

Take pictures of the water to show them in the service center. Also, print out the first page of the TSB and show it to them.
What makes you think that it's an alignment issue and not coming through the hatch, as described in the TSB?
Yes, I took plenty of photos, haha. Good advice about the TSB.

The hatch is clearly misaligned, longitudinally, not vertically. One side extends past the bumper, the other doesn't reach it. I'm pretty sure there is no adjustment of the stoppers that can fix this, and that's why water keeps getting in, and did from "day 1". It doesn't matter how low the hatch goes if the hatch edge is past the seal. Does that make sense?

It's so disheartening because every time this happens it's going to be a 3-hour one-way trip to the service center, and I can't just do that over and over.

Reactions: flixden
dzajic: Can you post photos of the misalignment? I can't conceive what you're talking about.

Misalignment of any body part should (?) be a reasonably easy fix, loosening mounting bolts, moving the body part, possibly adding a washer/shim if something is seriously off.

If the SC can't fix it, for sure a qualified body shop can. Have you tried one?

dzajic: Can you post photos of the misalignment? I can't conceive what you're talking about.

Misalignment of any body part should (?) be a reasonably easy fix, loosening mounting bolts, moving the body part, possibly adding a washer/shim if something is seriously off.

If the SC can't fix it, for sure a qualified body shop can. Have you tried one?
I'll post a photo. Good to know that more adjustment is possible in addition to the rubber stoppers. I haven't tried a body shop because it's still early and obviously Tesla should fix this under warranty given the car is 8 months old.

Similar to the sealing they do, not something like they do in the kindergarten on red living room. :eek:
What do you mean?
Ah, yes, good question about where the water is coming in. Changing the bumper stops myself seems to affect the severity of the leak, but that's hard to know for sure. This seems hard to diagnose, apparently even for the techs, because they couldn't reproduce it, but it happens almost every time it rains, even without driving anywhere.

What do you mean?

Ah, yes, good question about where the water is coming in. Changing the bumper stops myself seems to affect the severity of the leak, but that's hard to know for sure. This seems hard to diagnose, apparently even for the techs, because they couldn't reproduce it, but it happens almost every time it rains, even without driving anywhere.
Seal made in TSB, looks lige made of children 😉

Attachments

• seal.PNG
    seal.PNG
    692.8 KB · Views: 29