Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear of the car getting quickly dirty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"moving that thing across the surface" includes rinsing a surface with water. Pressure washing is *especially* likely to scratch a surface - it seems more abrasive to me than simply spraying a surface with a waterless wash, allowing to soak, and then gently wiping with a fresh microfiber and frequently turning the towel.

But it isn't.

My soft MS paint is 100% swirl free after almost a year and 17K miles under my 3m Sun Gun. I'll bet yours isn't and if you think it is, then you're not using the right light source.

Pressure washing is *especially* likely to scratch a surface - it seems more abrasive to me than simply spraying a surface with a waterless wash, allowing to soak, and then gently wiping with a fresh microfiber and frequently turning the towel.

Have to disagree with you there. Pressure washing is very safe. Especially if you presoak and foam the car. You can knock off a lot of dirt and debris safely this way. But, you eventually have to touch the surface with something to clean the surface. This is the tricky part.

I would love to see a controlled experiment where someone took two swirl-free cars of the same paint type, and then spent months either doing a wash routine like yours vs a waterless wash routine such as I just described - and then photographed the results under fluorescent lights.

I'd love to see that too. I'm sure it's been done. I bet some of my autogeek buddies would be up to the challenge if it hasn't been done before.

For the record, a rinseless wash is fine for maintaining a swirl free car. I presoak with D114 before doing a sloppy wet WG Uber Rinseless Wash. I go through about 12 640 GSM MF towels. Never reuse a quarter. I won't say it's 100% swirl free, but pretty darn close. Hardest part is finding time in the winter to blast off the salt and dirt! Too cold most of the time.

Have to disagree with you there. Pressure washing is very safe. Especially if you presoak and foam the car. You can knock off a lot of dirt and debris safely this way. But, you eventually have to touch the surface with something to clean the surface. This is the tricky part.

Indeed. Although there are some caveats to pressure washing. Don't use the really narrow nozzle and get closer than a foot. I stay several feet back on a 25 degree nozzle. You won't ever scratch your paint from pressure washing but you might rip it off catastrophically although it's very very rare(never done that myself) if you use a 0 degree nozzle and get within a foot or a 15 degree nozzle and get within 6 inch. The point of the pressure washer to is to save water with low flow and high velocity. But by the time the water actually hits the paint, it's going a fraction the speed it did when it came out of the nozzle. It's not as water saving as using a no rinse method but I won't touch that myself but commend the people that do. You should also filter your water. I filter it and use a water softener which means no hard water stains if water streams out from a crevice later on. It also means no sand or other contaminants that might pit the paint although even without that it's still very unlikely.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll admit you have a very good routine - perhaps bordering on being OCD for a DD. To each his own, as you say. But, to say that your car is 100% swirl free is laughable.

That's a relative term. No car is 100% swirl free unless it's just been corrected. I say 100% because it's still at the point where I can't see any swirls with a light source designed to expose swirls.

The OCD aspect has not been lost on me or my wife. It extends far beyond my washing routine. She hates it that every time I come home for the week that I get the paint light out and walk around whichever car she used for the previous 3 days to look for scratches or dings. She laughs every time I look under the front lip of any of our cars to see if she's parked over parking stop or curb that she shouldn't have. But it pays off because she used to be bad about her parking habits but now she isn't because she knows I'm checking. I'd be lying if I said those habits didn't extend into pretty much all other aspects of my life :redface:

Last edited: