Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear passenger doorhandle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, my passenger rear doorhandle of my Model S 2017 started open up by himself a week ago by full (100%) presenting itself and a day later stopped pressenting itself completly. There is no noice like most discussed topics but only a short noice while opening the doors. I've seen a youtube video for resetting the handle by taking out the fuse and tried that but now it doesn't do anything and makes no noice anymore. Only good after the reset is if you touch the handle it opens the door now when unlocked. See my short video here and please let me let me know what to do if possible.
Thank you!

I had the same problem. Question: of which generation is your door handle? In my case the door handle was a gen 2.1 (retrofit). After some time and research, It appeared that the motor was defect. Replacing the motor made no difference in the first place, but it seemed that the door handle also lost its configuration. After the configuration of the door handle the problem was solved. Summarized: defect motor and loss of configuration. I hope that this also would be the solution for you. Good luck!

Edit: It can also be a defect paddle gear. In my case it was functioning correctly, but also check the paddle gear to be sure.

Last edited:
2017 is probably gen 2.5 or 3.0 door handle depends on the date of build. Paddle gear motor will fail sometimes during moisture intrusion for all versions. Tesla sells these motors for 3.0 (or 2.1 retrofit) separate.

To test the paddle gear motor if its broken you can use an external power supply but to do that you need to remove the handle first.

If you need help let me know