Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Screen Recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I'm jumping on the rear screen bandwagon but I'm not sure which one...

The hanshow seems to be popular here, wondering if anyone has experience with the maker fab screen? To me it seems a bit nicer looking, and is definitely way easier to install; but it is more money.

Thanks for any experience or opinions in advance

I think I'm jumping on the rear screen bandwagon but I'm not sure which one...

The hanshow seems to be popular here, wondering if anyone has experience with the maker fab screen? To me it seems a bit nicer looking, and is definitely way easier to install; but it is more money.

Thanks for any experience or opinions in advance
can you link the maker fab screen you are referring to?

can you link the maker fab screen you are referring to?

There are some thoughts I have about this....storage (microsd etc) capability, and 2) Any installed spamware / etc. Android "set top" boxes and drop in radio replacements on the Jungle and popular auction site both have had issues with spyware/spamware. I noticed that the YT reviews haven't touched on this aspect.

There seem to be a bazillion different companies trying to sell these things (rear screens) and we have several threads here already on them. I had not heard of this particular brand, but after looking at your website link it does not appear to be a brand. It appears to be an aggregator, like aliexpress or something, but with much lower budget feel.

==============================

What have we done?

40+ Tesla parts factories and brands are visited

2-3 factories and brands are interviewed per day

36 factories and brand cooperation

Custom production of high-quality accessories for Tesla

OP if you are interested in these things I would suggest reading one of the existing threads on them. People have enough issues with them from bigger appearing companies (firmware updates breaking stuff, etc). Rear screen, screen above the steering wheel, etc its all the same, basically.

Reactions: RG-M3
There seem to be a bazillion different companies trying to sell these things (rear screens) and we have several threads here already on them. I had not heard of this particular brand, but after looking at your website link it does not appear to be a brand. It appears to be an aggregator, like aliexpress or something, but with much lower budget feel.

What have we done?

40+ Tesla parts factories and brands are visited

2-3 factories and brands are interviewed per day

36 factories and brand cooperation

Custom production of high-quality accessories for Tesla

OP if you are interested in these things I would suggest reading one of the existing threads on them. People have enough issues with them from bigger appearing companies (firmware updates breaking stuff, etc). Rear screen, screen above the steering wheel, etc its all the same, basically.
I didn't even think of that, thanks so much

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket 3/Y rear screen options that both:
  1. Retain the ability to manually aim air vent direction, AND
  2. Do NOT include any features that would allow mischievous backseat passengers to annoy people in the front seat — like front seat controls, audio controls, etc? (Or, if such features are included, there’s a way to disable them in settings.)
My backseat passengers can already control their heated seats and turn on/off the rear vent using S3XY Buttons, but the functionality is unintuitive and takes a rather lengthy explanation with every new passenger. Having a rear screen just for climate would be nice. But I don’t want nobody messing with my music. 😛

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket 3/Y rear screen options that both:
  1. Retain the ability to manually aim air vent direction, AND
  2. Do NOT include any features that would allow mischievous backseat passengers to annoy people in the front seat — like front seat controls, audio controls, etc? (Or, if such features are included, there’s a way to disable them in settings.)
My backseat passengers can already control their heated seats and turn on/off the rear vent using S3XY Buttons, but the functionality is unintuitive and takes a rather lengthy explanation with every new passenger. Having a rear screen just for climate would be nice. But I don’t want nobody messing with my music. 😛

If you have those demands, you probably shouldn't even consider getting these rear screen/display products. Because if you take away the vehicle integration controls, then you might as well just bring tablets as they would be superior. Many already say that now, but the argument pro-rear display owners have is the sleek built in function of hvac control, seat heat, and seat movement. android auto apple car play back there serves no point.

The one linked here from that Makerfab is actually the latest and best one at the moment. But they dont make it. Hannshow also sells this, TLYRD and others and claim it as their own, but they are all identical. All china crap OEM and a company who imports here calls it as theirs. So just get it from the company who sells it the cheapest.

A buddy of mine has it and the quality is actually pretty good--as far as the build. The cabling, the unit itself, details, texture, color all are very good/great and match really good IMO to the rest of the vehicle.

The software is the one that gets clunky--but this version is the best one. If you stick to just the Tesla launcher that runs on top of android 13 and only use it for the car integration controls for the hvac and seats, then its fine. But you want to dive deeper, it just isnt refined.

Oh yea, this one also has the best vent. Despite not being able to adjust the vent, its the best vent in these so far yet still have a nice overrall appearance. There are videos on youtube that show how good the vent power is.

If you have those demands, you probably shouldn't even consider getting these rear screen/display products. Because if you take away the vehicle integration controls, then you might as well just bring tablets as they would be superior. Many already say that now, but the argument pro-rear display owners have is the sleek built in function of hvac control, seat heat, and seat movement. android auto apple car play back there serves no point.
I don't see how a tablet would be a suitable alternative.

Apart from the myriad practical issues that you'd face with using a tablet (how to mount it, battery degredation from extreme hot and cold, etc.), I don't think you can even control the rear fan through the Tesla app. And even if you could, I think you need a cellular connection to send any commands through the app. (I tried using using my phone with cellular data turned off but still connected via Bluetooth and no commands through the app worked, and the app was throwing error messages telling me to reconnect to data.) So then you're talking about a tablet PLUS an extra monthly data plan just for heated seat control.

I don't see how a tablet would be a suitable alternative.

Apart from the myriad practical issues that you'd face with using a tablet (how to mount it, battery degredation from extreme hot and cold, etc.), I don't think you can even control the rear fan through the Tesla app. And even if you could, I think you need a cellular connection to send any commands through the app. (I tried using using my phone with cellular data turned off but still connected via Bluetooth and no commands through the app worked, and the app was throwing error messages telling me to reconnect to data.) So then you're talking about a tablet PLUS an extra monthly data plan just for heated seat control.

oh so you want just control of the fan and heated seat? I mean correct me if im wrong, but the 3/y dont actually have a true 2nd zone. Because with these, when you turn on the fan, it turns on the fan up front too because again, single zone. But with that said, they do have hvac control only being sold on amazon/temu/aliexpress. no screen, nothing fancy, etc.

I mean correct me if im wrong, but the 3/y dont actually have a true 2nd zone. Because with these, when you turn on the fan, it turns on the fan up front too because again, single zone.

Nope. There’s definitely a rear fan on/off in the 3/Y. (No rear zone for a different temperature tho.)

they do have hvac control only being sold on amazon/temu/aliexpress. no screen, nothing fancy, etc.

Please do share.

Has anyone tried the Hansshow H7 Plus? It looks particularly nice, with good updates that have me wondering if it's finally done well. I've hated these screens for a while, but am open to new ones! Particularly any that are OLED?

That is the EXACT SAME as the makerfab, TLYRD, etc etc. they are all the same from china, imported in bulk and branded as their own. It IS the best reitteration of these rear screens.

Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
Nope. There’s definitely a rear fan on/off in the 3/Y. (No rear zone for a different temperature tho.)

Please do share.

You can find the latest one with the screen mentioned from makerfab and clones, for the same price though on temu/aliexpress, so why even get the one above with just hvac control.

Too many options, not enough people trying them...
I’ve had almost every version that has been released, the H72 (hansshow’s version) is definitely the most complete.

Prior to the H72, I had the 7.5” version which had the articulated vents, but the installation was extremely convoluted compared to the others. Here’s my comparison of those two:

H72 (7.2” screen) -
Pros:
-Sleek integration, available in matte/gloss carbon fiber finish as well
-Very easy to install, if you have the blue OBD port on the rear lower portion, if not, it’s a little more cable run but nothing crazy
-Nicest UI, close to OEM, not perfect, but it looks stock to the untrained eye.
-3.5mm headphone port and Bluetooth connectivity allow for 2 users to hear audio from the display, there is also a built in speaker, which is very decent sounding and we use it often.
-google play store allows downloading of apps (we run retroarch on ours with a Bluetooth controller for retro gaming on the go!)
-Best airflow management, although the vents are fixed, this display has vents built in above and below the screen which cover the rear seat quite nicely.
-ability to somewhat lock controls on the rear UI
-CarPlay & Android Auto capable (please note this does NOT allow video to stream, only audio, and will also make your rear display handle calls)
-climate controls in the rear seat, along with the ability to turn off/off heated seats (if available)
-cost is more affordable

Cons:
- requires a hotspot/wifi connection for any of the apps to be functional/useful. Most hotspots in the US are throttled or crippled to 3g speeds after a few gigs of use, not conducive for this application.
- charging capability is reduced to one usb-c port. The other is reserved for data (usb thumb drives, etc)
- gives access to climate controls to the entire car, not just the rear
- climate changes made on the rear display do not reflect in the main UI display of your Tesla. This is an OBD limitation from my understanding.

7.5” Display:
Pros:
-larger display, less bezel, better resolution
-Bluetooth connectivity allow for 1 user to hear audio from the display, there is also a built in speaker, which is ok quality.
-google play store allows downloading of apps
-Manually operated Articulated vents allow directional Air flow for passengers.
-CarPlay & Android Auto capable (please note this does NOT allow video to stream, only audio, and will also make your rear display handle calls)
-climate controls in the rear seat, along with the ability to turn off/off heated seats (if available)
- both charging ports are fast charging usb-C (you have to transfer the charging board from the OEM rear vent) and there is a dedicated USB-A port for data transfers and updates (haven’t had a single OTA update on any of these yet)

Cons:
-the install. It’s awful. Where the 7.2” can be installed in under 10 minutes, this display will take about an hour.
-requires disassembly of the OEM rear vent cover which is not easy, and transplant of the usb-c charging board.
-clunky design, doesn’t look OEM
-the speaker quality isn’t great and I had some issues with static hum
-some apps of google play are not available (Disney+, MAX and Netflix to my knowledge)

That’s my take. Happy to answer more questions if you have any, just remember none of these displays are perfect, and they have come a long way since the first “floating tablet” one from about a year ago, but these seem to keep getting refreshed every 2 months or so.

Cheers!