TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear seat belt flapping with windows/sunroof open

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Zeromus-X, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

Tried searching for this and saw reference to it in one thread but nothing conclusive... unsure of what exactly to search for because it's such a weird problem to describe.

When I drive on the highway with my windows open, the rear seat belt(s) flap against the seats rapidly, making a terrible sound. I've tried buckling and unbuckling them, but neither makes a big difference. It seems to be the center one that is the biggest offender. If it matters I have the light grey Next Gen seats in the refreshed S.

I'll rarely/never have anyone in the center seat, but I can't seem to come up with a way to easily solve this one. I considered taping the seat belt down, but aside from how horrible that'd probably look I don't want to deal with sun-baked tape residue a few years down the road. I don't really want to keep the rear seats folded down since occasionally people will be back there.

Are you experiencing this and, if so, what have you done?

2. bjm

bjm New Member

Try moving the buckle up as high on the seat as it will go.

3. BrandonR22

BrandonR22 Member

Omg! Yes.. I have a refreshed S and the SAME thing has been annoying the hell out of me.. I just have been to lazy to try even what you have done. I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens.

4. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Member

I noticed this too, so I wrapped the seatbelt around the headrest. Solved it.

5. jfoxny

jfoxny Member

Yep noticed this too.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Buckle it, pull the strap all the way out until it engages the ratchet. Then retract all the way and give a tug to cinch it up. I had this problem on another car some time ago. I've never had the problem in my MS. Though I don't drive much above 40 with all the windows open. Too noisy for me.