Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Seats - Not Aligned on Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So among a few paint issues, scratches and panel gaps, I just picked up my Model Y and had the rear seat alignment issue where the right seat is higher than the left and middle seat. Service worked on it and stated "thats how they are".. is anyone else getting that response?

Reactions: ra88it
We've seen quite a few people reporting that, and many deliveries being delayed due to rear seat misalignment. It most certainly is not "the way they are". I'd bring it back and get them to adjust it. Do you have issues with your seat folding down electric switches in the cargo area too?

I am having the same exact issues with my Model Y. The right rear seat is not aligned with the left rear seat when you first push them back up. If I move the right seat to the "second" reline position, everything aligns. I am also experiencing the issue with the seats folding down from the rear cargo area switches. The right seat will auto fold if in the first position but not if it is reclined and the left seat will not fold at all. I have a service appointment scheduled for Monday for this and a few other issues. I will respond back with what they say (hopefully after it is fixed).

MY-RearSeatAlignment.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
I'm going to service center tomorrow for panel issues but when I sent them the picture of rear seats they said this is what they see on all the others Ys they have seen....

Has anyone got a rear seat that IS aligned correctly?

I saw the post earlier about moving it back one stop to make it align but that doesn't sound right (though I will go and have another look at that...)

20200330_091220.jpg

I saw the post earlier about moving it back one stop to make it align but that doesn't sound right (though I will go and have another look at that...)
View attachment 529818

To be clear mine are still a little misaligned after adjusting. Maybe a half inch... probably half as much as yours appears. It feels to me like the middle seat is just janky. I don't think they quite figured out how to manufacture and assemble it, and after staring at this thing for a day it looks to me like the right side of the middle seat slopes lower than the left side. I dunno for sure. Mobile service is coming tomorrow and I'll let you know what they say.

I was picking up a model Y and saw the same issue (it's really apparent with white seats). The salesperson said that it "wasn't" fixable. I looked a number of other model Y's and I saw some of them aligned. I didn't think of testing the recline function and the auto folddown (other than in the top position).

I was offered to either get matched with a model Y or just live with it. Seems incorrect given this other thread. It looks to me like you just "adjust" that back - but perhaps there's more to it.

The rest of the car fit and finish is actually pretty good. So I'm torn between waiting and/or getting it fixed. Would love some guidance on whether it can be easily fixed or not and whether the service person (who normally works in the showrooms) didn't know what they were talking about when she said that if it was an major outside panel issue it would be fixed but inside alignment issues won't be fixed.

I was picking up a model Y and saw the same issue (it's really apparent with white seats). The salesperson said that it "wasn't" fixable. I looked a number of other model Y's and I saw some of them aligned. I didn't think of testing the recline function and the auto folddown (other than in the top position).

I was offered to either get matched with a model Y or just live with it. Seems incorrect given this other thread. It looks to me like you just "adjust" that back - but perhaps there's more to it.

The rest of the car fit and finish is actually pretty good. So I'm torn between waiting and/or getting it fixed. Would love some guidance on whether it can be easily fixed or not and whether the service person (who normally works in the showrooms) didn't know what they were talking about when she said that if it was an major outside panel issue it would be fixed but inside alignment issues won't be fixed.
There is a new part for it. Waiting for mine to come. Watch Ryan Shaw’s video

Design flaw in the simplest term. I too have a degree of misalignment and the service tech say alot are like that and within spec..

Our service center told us there *is* no spec for that seat back alignment, and therefore they can't/won't fix it.
(same with some other things, e.g. there is a spec for the gap between the trunk-mounted and the body-mounted sections of the tail lights, so they'll adjust those if they're out of spec, but there's apparently no spec for the depth and angle they're seated at, so they won't adjust those)

Here's what mine looks like, as a reference.
Our service center told us there *is* no spec for that seat back alignment, and therefore they can't/won't fix it.
(same with some other things, e.g. there is a spec for the gap between the trunk-mounted and the body-mounted sections of the tail lights, so they'll adjust those if they're out of spec, but there's apparently no spec for the depth and angle they're seated at, so they won't adjust those)
The lack of consistent answers from different employees/SvCs is one of Tesla's weak links.

• Funny
Reactions: ra88it and Matsayz