Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Speakers and Subwoofer No Longer Working After Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my car from service today for fixing of some due bill items after delivery (paint correction; rattle fix; replacement of missing wheel caps) as well as Homelink installation.

On my drive home, I noticed the audio sounded very flat and no longer immersive. Not until I got home did I realize the rear speakers and subwoofer are no longer working. In fact, when playing audio and then moving the balance to full rear, the audio goes silent.

I reset the screen about 4-5 times and the speakers are still not working. I called, text, and sent an email to the SC and no response. Only way to get the SC to respond seems to be via the app, which is really annoying, but sadly expected these days.

Anyway, is there any easy fix to this without having to schedule another SC or mobile tech appointment?

I just realized voice commands are not recognizing my voice either. It's as if the internal microphone is not working. This is wonky. Not sure if it has to do with the firmware they pushed to the car during the service, but since the SC's don't respond to phone calls, texts, or emails, I ended up scheduling mobile service, which is 2 weeks ago.

What a pain. Had I realized all this while I was driving home, I would have just turned around and brought the car right back to the SC.

Well, only soft resets. Hard reset requires disconnecting the battery, right? I did not do that.

I just pressed the brake and thumbwheels down until the screen goes blank and the Tesla T comes up, then I hit power off on the MCU and sat there for 2 minutes before opening the door.

That's a soft reset, right?

Well, only soft resets. Hard reset requires disconnecting the battery, right? I did not do that.

I just pressed the brake and thumbwheels down until the screen goes blank and the Tesla T comes up, then I hit power off on the MCU and sat there for 2 minutes before opening the door.

That's a soft reset, right?
Yes, that I what I know to be a soft reset. Any updates? Schedule a service appointment?

If it had been me, I would have driven straight to the SC without an appointment and demand they fix it. It would ruffle some feathers, but this was clearly their error.

But audio is huge for me: YMMV

Yeah, I love audio, too. I’m with you. I didn’t fully realize what was going on while driving home. Only once parked at home and played with settings did I realize what was happening. SC is about 15 miles from my house and I didn’t have time to drive back in traffic. I was also leaving for a trip the next AM so I ran out of time.

Ended up having to a schedule a follow up appointment about 2 weeks out when I get back in town. Scheduling was not easy because it’s so difficult to reach a human, but I don’t feel like typing out the details of that adventure right now.

Will update when fixed.

All is working with my car, but I was surprised by the fix. The SC put in a brand new CPU. All speakers and voice commands are working again, but I have to reset my Driver's Profile Settings, newly installed Homelink, AP settings, etc.

It's really odd the CPU went bad, but my best guess is that something went wonky when at the body shop to fix some of the due bill items. I guess we'll never really know, Just glad it's fixed.

After taking delivery on 12/19/2019, I went out of town twice, so the car sat unused, and then Tesla had the car for about 2 weeks. Car only has 212 miles on it in just over a month - most of which is driving back and forth from the SC. SC also somehow put 30 miles on it during the due bill repairs, but I'm guessing those miles are related to body shop transport and rattle fix testing.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to enjoying the car (although my wife will be its primary driver).

All is working with my car, but I was surprised by the fix. The SC put in a brand new CPU. All speakers and voice commands are working again, but I have to reset my Driver's Profile Settings, newly installed Homelink, AP settings, etc.

It's really odd the CPU went bad, but my best guess is that something went wonky when at the body shop to fix some of the due bill items. I guess we'll never really know, Just glad it's fixed.

After taking delivery on 12/19/2019, I went out of town twice, so the car sat unused, and then Tesla had the car for about 2 weeks. Car only has 212 miles on it in just over a month - most of which is driving back and forth from the SC. SC also somehow put 30 miles on it during the due bill repairs, but I'm guessing those miles are related to body shop transport and rattle fix testing.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to enjoying the car (although my wife will be its primary driver).
Glad you got it fixed. Mine was due to a rear glass leak which caused water to get into the amplifier, frying it.

Just double checked my invoice:

"Replaced the Car CPU, audio amplifier and OHC

Correction: Replace Car Computer"

Guess I got a new amp, too. Anyone know what "OHC" means?

Hope they fixed your rear glass leak, too!
Gonna guess it’s this:
ASSY OHC HARNESS MX 12.5mm - TESLALAB

They did fix the leak by replacing the rear glass and amp. If your audio screws up again, get that checked out. My rear view camera needs to be replaced, I guess due to the water damage. A lot of purple vertical lines

• Helpful
Reactions: shrink
This situation just happened to me 5 days after delivery. There is no audio from any of the doors and the back, only front speakers. I have tried soft, hard reboot, even disconnecting the cable under the back seats. I have an appointment in 5 days, but it is frustrating that it is happening so soon. :mad:

I had the same problem for two weeks: rear speakers, subwoofer and microphone stopped working. No clear reason for this (rear window does not leak).

Mobile service came by today. Service program was to change the amplifier from the trunk and also the OHC panel (next to the rear view mirror). Changing the components did not yet resolve anything, but then the technician ran some test program and also updated the car firmware. After this test/fw update the rear speakers + sub + microphone came back to life.

So, for me it is unclear if there was a faulty component or just in the code 1, where there should've been 0 - in any case now things work again :)

@villho
I have the same problem. Do you know what version of firmware did he update. I am in the latest 2020.36.10.010e3e5a2863
Still have the problem. He replaced the rear amp also. He scheduled me for a SC and its 2 months away. What options I have?

I had the same problem for two weeks: rear speakers, subwoofer and microphone stopped working. No clear reason for this (rear window does not leak).

Mobile service came by today. Service program was to change the amplifier from the trunk and also the OHC panel (next to the rear view mirror). Changing the components did not yet resolve anything, but then the technician ran some test program and also updated the car firmware. After this test/fw update the rear speakers + sub + microphone came back to life.

So, for me it is unclear if there was a faulty component or just in the code 1, where there should've been 0 - in any case now things work again :)

Screenshot_2022-10-17-17-00-38-99_dea0ed4dc7fea9051b966dd91d80d9ae.jpg