Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear wheel liners coming apart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both my rear wheel liners in the wells are pulling apart. When I hit big dips on the freeway I’m sure the wheels would scrape them since the liner is in the path of the wheel travel. I didn’t see how they can pop back in anywhere on the fender. Is there a fix for this?

Attachments

• 44948760-E250-49B4-B1BE-2C0B5E3A0F71.jpeg
    44948760-E250-49B4-B1BE-2C0B5E3A0F71.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 556
  • 6EE2875A-4FF8-4541-B01D-861378C1217F.jpeg
    6EE2875A-4FF8-4541-B01D-861378C1217F.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 425
I had the same thing going on in the rear driver side. I took it in for service this week thinking they would replace the piece, which they didn’t do. However. It’s not bent back into place and the gap went from over an inch to only a few millimeters. I’m going to keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse.

There’s definitely no missing clips from what I can tell. I suspect they just took it off, bent it back into shape and put it back on.

Attachments

• 996E42B4-816F-4F70-A41E-D6F16C593497.jpeg
    996E42B4-816F-4F70-A41E-D6F16C593497.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 450
I got that issue due to a missing clip (rear driver side), Mobile service came to my house with extra clips (I was missing a couple from the factory) but told me the wheel liner need to be replaced (which is covered under their warranty), he created a request for that and 10 days later the Mobile service when to my work location and arrived with more clips, he said Tesla didn't order the part and he created another request, so I placed another request at my Tesla Service Center (Coral Gables). When I went there I was told they received the part but it was not covered by their warranty, that I will need to pay... so I told them ok, don't do it but I will complain with the corporate office... so he said he will do it as gesture/complimentary.

Make sure they get the part and get the Mobile Service, don't waste your time going to the Service Center, sometimes take longer.

I just noticed my 2021 looks exactly like those pictures. And there are NO clips there, which is stupid, being a 2-part liner. And none of the clips are missing either, and all are tight. It's definitely a defect. Either the mold is wrong (which I doubt), or most likely, the part gets bent like that due to too much heat, or some other production issue, meaning probably most of them are going to be like that. We need other owners to check their cars, and post results ;). If many find it the way it should be, I'd try to get it replaced. But in the mean time, I need to find a hard piece of plastic, and shove it over that part, and under the other half, and it'd keep it in place IMO. Will post results here. I won't waste my time with Tesla for now, while others post if their cars are like ours, or flush, like it should be.

I stuck half of a small wood paint mixer (free at Home Depot, etc), and it holds it in place just fine... but I'll have to glue it to the liner, so it doesn't fall off with vibration, etc. But I'll try to glue the liner to the fender with crazy glue first. If not, I'd paint the wood piece black (with a Sharpie), and glue it to the liner. Not worth making a claim, since it's entirely possible a new one will be the same way, and I found a way to fix the 'problem'.

I’m having the same issue. It’s on both sides in the rear. I used the app to request a service appointment to fix it. However, the estimate is over $300. I just received the car the first week of December. Seems a little steep for a presumably factory issue. Any suggestions from those that have dealt with this already?
AB811C4A-A796-4304-8AFB-155E7321A081.jpeg
3CEB43D2-7077-4605-8606-C8A6AE98A4EF.jpeg

Same here 2022 Dual motor LR. Issue on both sides.

When I requested mobile service, they sent me a quote to approve. I approved it just to get them to look at the issue.

This is clearly a manufacturing or design flaw.

I’ll report back on Monday after the service call.

Same here 2022 Dual motor LR. Issue on both sides.

When I requested mobile service, they sent me a quote to approve. I approved it just to get them to look at the issue.

This is clearly a manufacturing or design flaw.

I’ll report back on Monday after the service call.
For those of you who are interested… Tesla service came to my home today. The tech (newbie) basically told me that it is what is. Ok..then I sent the attached back via the Service section of the App. This resulted in an almost immediate call from the local service centre (they have been great thus far). Apologies were profuse - and a promise to send the new tech back with proper instructions. The Service Manager told me that this is well known issue - one that he has been dealing with for 4 years.

The mobile tech returned. And subsequently reseated the ‘felt’ fender liner. We will see how it weathers inclement Canadian Winter weather.

I am not an Engineer. Nor am I an expert in this area. But looking at the way the liner is made and installed reminds me of the shoddy design and implementation of my 1980s Reliant. My wife’s Q5 (6 years old) has fender liners that are well made - and have no gaps. Come on Elon. You can do better!

Attachments

• 5104BA8F-F85A-4453-B659-9EAEBD3FB2F9.jpeg
    5104BA8F-F85A-4453-B659-9EAEBD3FB2F9.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 225