Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window tint/ defroster line night time headlight refraction problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had problems with seeing headlight refraction from the headlights of cars behind? Just notice this while driving at night. I didn't get a chance to snap an actual picture but the photo I found online is similar to what I am seeing ( although not as severe).
refraction.jpg

I've been driving mostly standard SUV's with vertical rear windows, so don't know if this is that common in sloping rear windows nowadays. I've seen this in a relative's sedan that had very dark 3rd party tinting done. I know they had to remove our rear window to do some delivery repairs, but would not have expected them to have touched the tinting but will inquire with the SC as they had it sent it to a body shop.

Hmm... so no one else has this issue with their MX rear window... I guess I'll have to tack this on to my growing list of issues that the SC will need to look at for our next visit for our "quarter end rush special" version MX...

It shouldn't but that is one of my inquiries to the SC as our X had to go straight to the bodyshop to address some damage to the rear trunk that was caused during transport from the factory. They didn't mention that a new tint was applied, but in passing, they did mentioned the rear window was removed and had to have the seal dry causing a delay in our pickup date. The refractions definitely look like what I have seen when people put on a darker 3rd party tint. Again, something I will definitely raise with the SC.

That looks like they smeared Vaseline all over the rear window. I've never noticed anything like that.

Just to be clear, that photo is just an example I was able to find online that looks similar to what I am seeing in my car. Haven't been able to snap a clear photo of the rear window while driving at night... I did give it a good cleaning recently but let me double check i didn't smear anything on the rear windshield or the bodyshop didn't smear anything on the inside...

So currently driving a loaner MX 90D while ours is back at the SC for some follow up work. The loaner has the same refraction issue, actually worse than ours so I guess that's just the way it is... I guess I'll have to get used to it when driving at night.