Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Window tint issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably not going to get a lot of responses on this, but I took my model 3 to get tinted yesterday at reputable location. The installed had worked on a few model 3s and had installed a single 60" tint on the rear windshields. He is also a 3m certified installer. By the end of the day, he let me know he had a lot of trouble with my car in particular. He mentioned something about the edges burning instead of sticking? This is obviously out of my realm. Has anyone with crystalline had an issue like this?

Probably not going to get a lot of responses on this, but I took my model 3 to get tinted yesterday at reputable location. The installed had worked on a few model 3s and had installed a single 60" tint on the rear windshields. He is also a 3m certified installer. By the end of the day, he let me know he had a lot of trouble with my car in particular. He mentioned something about the edges burning instead of sticking? This is obviously out of my realm. Has anyone with crystalline had an issue like this?
I had my my rear glass installed by a certified 3m crystalline installer and he never mentioned anything about burning edges. I have had my tint for more than 2 months now and no problems so far.

He probably burned the edges trying to fix fingers that lifted after installation. He didn't shrink it properly in that case. 3m certified means nothing really. It's a piece of paper. Experience is more important. Is he going to do it over or do you even notice the issues? Pictures would help.

There is a local shop here who said they won't even do the whole rear glass (whether one piece or two), due to potentially causing it to crack. They do a lot of Teslas, since they are just a couple doors down from Tesla. Anyone else heard of this as an issue? Anyone had this happen? Is there a formal stance from Tesla on it?

There is a local shop here who said they won't even do the whole rear glass (whether one piece or two), due to potentially causing it to crack. They do a lot of Teslas, since they are just a couple doors down from Tesla. Anyone else heard of this as an issue? Anyone had this happen? Is there a formal stance from Tesla on it?

my tint guy tells me some shops are indeed too scared because they need to heat gun the tint and the glass is prone to cracking when heating the glass. they said you should only go with an experienced person that has tinted a model 3 before.

• Informative
Reactions: boriszima
Full one piece Model 3 Rear Windshields and Model X front windshields require a high level of skill! Many installer are unable to shrink and confirm the film properly to the glass in one piece due to shape and sheer size of the panel. It happens, but they should not promise anything they can't deliver. Unfortunately with tint, it is very hard to fix a problem post installation that should have been addressed during the shrinking and prepping process process without damaging the film.
So is the issue with cracking of the glass a result of over-application of heat in an effort to shrink and shape the film to the contours? Assuming proper application of the tint, is there any issue with the heat absorption of the film itself stressing the glass and contributing to cracks? If there is, are some films better than others in this regard?

Reactions: Extreme Autowerks