Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window tint...ok??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, new member here waiting delivery of M3P.
Not sure this has been posted but I really hope to get some answer from current owners regarding the rear window tint. Read online said there is cracking risk if tinted. Anyone here experience something like that??
I really wanted the black out look (on a white tesla). Any sharing is very much appreciated!
Thank you.

I went through this with my own car (also white) tinter was happy to discuss and said it appeared to only affect earlier cars? No idea what has changed since then however he had done quite a few and had no returns. I didn't end up tinting my rear window, but not for the cracking reason.

I went through this with my own car (also white) tinter was happy to discuss and said it appeared to only affect earlier cars? No idea what has changed since then however he had done quite a few and had no returns. I didn't end up tinting my rear window, but not for the cracking reason.
Hi mate, thanks for sharing. How was the look of not tinting the rear window? Does it look a bit odd? And will the rear passanger get hot during hot summer as the lower part of the window has no filter? Thanks.

Hope that helps.
Its darkest legal both front and rear. I dislike the transition when the rears are darker, but not sure what the rules are in WA?

The reason I didn't tint the rear screen was because I was concerned the factory tint would become much darker on the rear roof glass once it had the tint film attached and look stupid dark compared to the front half. Tinter said it didn't do that and then said "I'll see you back in summer when you want it done" (with a wink)
Ive since purchased the tessories sunshades but don't have them fitted.

Attachments

• IMG_5230.JPG
    IMG_5230.JPG
    695.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_5228.JPG
    IMG_5228.JPG
    704.6 KB · Views: 170
I’ve just booked mine in with a place that has done over 100 Teslas. They told me it was a glass issue that only affected early Teslas, but to go for the more expensive ceramic option (as opposed to carbon) as it reflects rather than absorbs heat, reducing any risk.

I decided to go for 35% all round, as I am more interested in heat rejection than looking dark, and 35% is the legal maximum tint in NSW for the front windows. You can go 20% for rears, but I want to make sure my nighttime vision is good, and wasn’t sure if looking out the back mirror would be too dark.

Reactions: Cstan
I’ve just booked mine in with a place that has done over 100 Teslas. They told me it was a glass issue that only affected early Teslas, but to go for the more expensive ceramic option (as opposed to carbon) as it reflects rather than absorbs heat, reducing any risk.

I decided to go for 35% all round, as I am more interested in heat rejection than looking dark, and 35% is the legal maximum tint in NSW for the front windows. You can go 20% for rears, but I want to make sure my nighttime vision is good, and wasn’t sure if looking out the back mirror would be too dark.
Thank you very much for the info.

Hope that helps.
Its darkest legal both front and rear. I dislike the transition when the rears are darker, but not sure what the rules are in WA?

The reason I didn't tint the rear screen was because I was concerned the factory tint would become much darker on the rear roof glass once it had the tint film attached and look stupid dark compared to the front half. Tinter said it didn't do that and then said "I'll see you back in summer when you want it done" (with a wink)
Ive since purchased the tessories sunshades but don't have them fitted.
Thanks for sharing, now I can understand better. 🙂