Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting rear window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scheduling window tint for the wife’s 3P. Company that I have used in the past with great results (not a Tesla) will not tint the rear window. Said something about how the rear window could crack from heat. Really not sure if he was talking about during install or over time, but got the impression he was talking about over time. Said any company saying they can install tint on the rear window is lying.

Is this a known issue or a misinformed company? I’ve read where some say the older 3’s have had issues but not the newer?

Ty

Yea, it's been reiterated many times but it's very unlikely that it will crack the rear glass. I think I've seen posts of people's moonroof glass cracking with low VLT tint, but not the rear window. A lot of people get rear tint and I'm willing to bet 99.9% don't have any problems. The only thing I've seen is the heating elements getting ripped off or burned out because of the tint. If that happens to you it won't be repaired under the warranty, but again very rare that anything bad happens especially if you go with a good/reputable shop.

Reactions: android04
Find an installer that's familiar with Tesla. because of the size of the rear window it takes a larger roll of tint that some shops may not carry. It may not be they won't do it, they might not have the right tint. My shop specialized in Tesla's - zero issues with my M3. The use a machine to cut the tint before installing.

Can't comment on cracking but the defroster lines are delicate as hell.

I got my tint done and found a few creases in the rear window. The shop said that they could redo it but the defroster lines would most likely come off enough to where it will no longer work. Definitely find a shop that has tinted Model 3s specifically and is reputable and can do the job right on the first try.

Reactions: android04
I remember when I got my tint done (ALL glass in the car) and in a post where someone was asking everyone what they paid, someone told me overpaid. I now know I didn't: you get what you pay for.

(And I keep forgetting that my "temporary" avatar is a photo that the installer took of my car in front of his place. :cool:)

Can't comment on cracking but the defroster lines are delicate as hell.

I got my tint done and found a few creases in the rear window. The shop said that they could redo it but the defroster lines would most likely come off enough to where it will no longer work. Definitely find a shop that has tinted Model 3s specifically and is reputable and can do the job right on the first try.
Yeah, defroster lines are normally pretty easy to damage. In fact, when they used to tape temp plates in the back window, you had to be sure not to tape over the lines. Even Scotch tape would pull up the line when you pulled off your temp plate. Definitely worth spending a little time to find a good shop that can do the back window with one piece right the first time.