Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rebuild inspection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone who has gone through a rebuild inspection shed some light on what the inspector will allow?

My personal situation is that my salvage p85 has some dents and a small gouge in the rear quarter panel. This is going to be the hardest thing on the car to repair and I am wondering if I can just go pass the inspection with that panel still dented?

There is nothing illegal about a dented panel in FL and the car would be safe to drive as is. So again I’m wondering what are the inspectors allowing to slide without repair?

I figured if I had the car tagged it would be easier for to take it to shops to get that specific panel fixed.

I suppose it depends on how "small" the small gouge is, and whether it is a safety hazard. If the jagged edges are sticking out it's probably considered more of a safety hazard than if they are pushed in.

I am not in Florida however, so YMMV. PA in general will fail a vehicle's annual inspection for holes in the bodywork (ie, rust).

Yea PA is notorious for their auto standards. FL has no such annual inspection. It’s not unusual to see cars in very poor shape driving on the road legally. I tried calling the county office and asking this same question and they were very vague. I think it’s basically the inspectors call as to whether they pass it or not.

Picture is attached I plan on replacing the doors right away I was just seeing if I can hold off on that quarter panel.

I suppose it depends on how "small" the small gouge is, and whether it is a safety hazard. If the jagged edges are sticking out it's probably considered more of a safety hazard than if they are pushed in.

I am not in Florida however, so YMMV. PA in general will fail a vehicle's annual inspection for holes in the bodywork (ie, rust).

Attachments

• E66784ED-0D02-461C-AF44-15901D57F770.jpeg
    E66784ED-0D02-461C-AF44-15901D57F770.jpeg
    535.9 KB · Views: 79
Reminds me of a "Darlington Stripe". Guardrail damage?

Looks "pushed in" rather than a jagged piece of aluminum sticking out. On an ICE vehicle there might be concern for exhaust ingress but no such thing with the Tesla.

You might be able to cover the "sliced" looking part with some protective material (duct tape) and be OK, you might even be OK leaving it exposed but duct tape is cheap, close in color and with the rest of the damage to the quarter panel, probably wouldn't look too bad.

Reminds me of a "Darlington Stripe". Guardrail damage?

Looks "pushed in" rather than a jagged piece of aluminum sticking out. On an ICE vehicle there might be concern for exhaust ingress but no such thing with the Tesla.

You might be able to cover the "sliced" looking part with some protective material (duct tape) and be OK, you might even be OK leaving it exposed but duct tape is cheap, close in color and with the rest of the damage to the quarter panel, probably wouldn't look too bad.

I don’t know the history but it does look like a guardrail side swipe. I never said anything about jagged aluminum sticking out I said there is a gouge.

Good idea on the duct tape it is easy enough. I’ll probably try and see if they pass me as it will be a while till I get the quarter panel replaced.