Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model Y today! Ordered 2/4 and took delivery 3/23, so a bit over a month and a half. Delivery was easy, and I was told they were doing 80 deliveries today from this one location (which is a giant church parking lot two blocks from the Austin service center). There were well over 100 cars at this location, nearly all Model 3s and Model Ys (which makes sense, since they aren't producing those at the moment). I was able to take all the time I wanted to carefully go over the car before accepting delivery. I'm glad they don't attach the front license plate bracket and leave that up to the customer.

Vin is 136xxx and the car has all the recent updates such as the new headlights, heated steering wheel, and center console. Hatch cover appears to be the standard pain-in-the-ass-to-remove variety. No HEPA filter before anyone asks! I forgot to check the glovebox for the USB stick, I should go do that.

The car is beautiful, especially in the sun! Here's a photo of the Y next to my 3 (which I need to sell!)

ModelY_Model3_2021-03-23.jpg

Overall the interior and exterior look great, however, there are a few issues:
  • There's a significant paint defect on the front of the car and what looks like a rather poor attempt to cover up with touch up paint. I did point this out to two Tesla employees at the delivery location.
  • One of the exterior black trim pieces (next to the right side mirror) has a rather noticeable chunk of plastic or something else stuck to it. Did not want to try removing it myself, and neither did the two Tesla employees after picking at a short bit with fingernails.
  • There's an excess piece of material popping out of the headliner above the left rear passenger seat. Did not try pulling on this myself. :D
  • Rear hatch seems slightly misaligned (noticeably larger gap on left versus right). Overall the panel alignment looks great, certainly better than with my 3.
  • Right front passenger door sill has some raised paint bumps, one is fairly noticeable. This one doesn't bother me too much, and I found it's damn hard to take photos of!
  • The front, right door handle is inset a fair bit. Never seen this before, but I assume the service center can fix this relatively easily.
None of this bothered me enough to reject delivery of the car, I'll make sure the above items get fixed.

One thing that I wasn't able to notice until I drove away.. There is significant buffeting inside the car. At first I thought this was related to issues with the rear hatch I've seen others talk about here. However, after I got home and I was sitting in the car for a few minutes to get the car on my WiFi network so it could download a software update, it was still occurring. When I turned off the climate control, the buffeting went away. Turning it back on, the buffeting came back after a minute or two, so it seems related to that. I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the heat pump? My Model 3 (which does not have a heat pump) has never exhibited this issue. It's rather noticeable and not very comfortable.

I was told I could file support tickets in the mobile app for these, including attaching photos, and to do so before I've driven 100 miles. However, it appears you can only have one open issue at a time? I filed an issue for the buffeting first, since that's certainly the most important thing overall. I was expecting I could open additional issues, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I then wrote my Tesla Advisor to detail the issues, and hopefully he will get back to me fairly quickly. Otherwise I will drive the car to the service center tomorrow to point out the issues to make sure they are documented in time. I also need to get my Homelink kit installed, and I cannot schedule that, either, in the app right now.

Love the car so far, but will be happier once I can get these problems addressed. I've attached a few photos showing the paint, trim and door handle issues.

I do have the hitch, but haven't pulled open that cover yet to make sure it's actually there. Is anything supposed to come with the hitch?

Attachments

• ModelY_handle_1.jpg
    ModelY_handle_1.jpg
    769.5 KB · Views: 80
  • ModelY_Paint_FrontQuarterPanel.jpg
    ModelY_Paint_FrontQuarterPanel.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • ModelY_Trim.jpg
    ModelY_Trim.jpg
    671.3 KB · Views: 82
  • ModelY_handle_2.jpg
    ModelY_handle_2.jpg
    675.2 KB · Views: 87
I took delivery of my Model Y today! Ordered 2/4 and took delivery 3/23, so a bit over a month and a half. Delivery was easy, and I was told they were doing 80 deliveries today from this one location (which is a giant church parking lot two blocks from the Austin service center). There were well over 100 cars at this location, nearly all Model 3s and Model Ys (which makes sense, since they aren't producing those at the moment). I was able to take all the time I wanted to carefully go over the car before accepting delivery. I'm glad they don't attach the front license plate bracket and leave that up to the customer.

Vin is 136xxx and the car has all the recent updates such as the new headlights, heated steering wheel, and center console. Hatch cover appears to be the standard pain-in-the-ass-to-remove variety. No HEPA filter before anyone asks! I forgot to check the glovebox for the USB stick, I should go do that.

The car is beautiful, especially in the sun! Here's a photo of the Y next to my 3 (which I need to sell!)

View attachment 647349

Overall the interior and exterior look great, however, there are a few issues:
  • There's a significant paint defect on the front of the car and what looks like a rather poor attempt to cover up with touch up paint. I did point this out to two Tesla employees at the delivery location.
  • One of the exterior black trim pieces (next to the right side mirror) has a rather noticeable chunk of plastic or something else stuck to it. Did not want to try removing it myself, and neither did the two Tesla employees after picking at a short bit with fingernails.
  • There's an excess piece of material popping out of the headliner above the left rear passenger seat. Did not try pulling on this myself. :D
  • Rear hatch seems slightly misaligned (noticeably larger gap on left versus right). Overall the panel alignment looks great, certainly better than with my 3.
  • Right front passenger door sill has some raised paint bumps, one is fairly noticeable. This one doesn't bother me too much, and I found it's damn hard to take photos of!
  • The front, right door handle is inset a fair bit. Never seen this before, but I assume the service center can fix this relatively easily.
None of this bothered me enough to reject delivery of the car, I'll make sure the above items get fixed.

One thing that I wasn't able to notice until I drove away.. There is significant buffeting inside the car. At first I thought this was related to issues with the rear hatch I've seen others talk about here. However, after I got home and I was sitting in the car for a few minutes to get the car on my WiFi network so it could download a software update, it was still occurring. When I turned off the climate control, the buffeting went away. Turning it back on, the buffeting came back after a minute or two, so it seems related to that. I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the heat pump? My Model 3 (which does not have a heat pump) has never exhibited this issue. It's rather noticeable and not very comfortable.

I was told I could file support tickets in the mobile app for these, including attaching photos, and to do so before I've driven 100 miles. However, it appears you can only have one open issue at a time? I filed an issue for the buffeting first, since that's certainly the most important thing overall. I was expecting I could open additional issues, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I then wrote my Tesla Advisor to detail the issues, and hopefully he will get back to me fairly quickly. Otherwise I will drive the car to the service center tomorrow to point out the issues to make sure they are documented in time. I also need to get my Homelink kit installed, and I cannot schedule that, either, in the app right now.

Love the car so far, but will be happier once I can get these problems addressed. I've attached a few photos showing the paint, trim and door handle issues.

I do have the hitch, but haven't pulled open that cover yet to make sure it's actually there. Is anything supposed to come with the hitch?
Congrats! I am picking up mine from the Austin service center on Sunday, any tips? I assume I just show up and they take me to my car for me to inspect? Thanks!

My new MYP has this exact same inset. The Tesla Mobile Service guy who came Tuesday to install the Homelink was an 8 year veteran at Tesla, making him one of the most senior service guys around. He said he had not seen much of this issue, but said it would be a difficult issue to rectify because there are some studs and shims inside that door that establish this attachment point for the handle mechanism. He may have said these were welded in place - I don't recall the attachment method. I would be interested in how your service people respond.

Congrats! I am picking up mine from the Austin service center on Sunday, any tips? I assume I just show up and they take me to my car for me to inspect? Thanks!
My delivery was originally supposed to be at the Austin service center, but the day before I got an email stating the delivery would be at the Gateway Church parking lot two blocks down from the service center. I visited the Austin service center yesterday and that parking lot was ridiculous and hard to navigate with Tesla's parked and double-parked absolutely everywhere. I'd be surprised if they are actually doing any deliveries there right now.

When we arrived at the Gateway Church lot, I pulled in, drove around for a short bit (looking for my car), and then a Tesla employee pointed me to a vertical flag where someone was stationed for deliveries. That individual pointed me to the car (it was close, and had my name on a sheet of paper hanging from the rear view mirror) and gave me the key cards so I could get into the vehicle. He said we could take as long as we wanted to inspect the car. I did have a printed checklist with me, and casually walked around the car several times looking at everything and spent some time inside as well. I pointed out a few things (such as that paint defect) to the Tesla employee and he then explained I could report these issues with the Tesla app and that I should do so before I drive 100 miles. And said to make sure you take photos, which are timestamped and also tied to the current mileage of the vehicle.

To actually take delivery, I had to sign my name on his phone, then log out and back into the Tesla app and the new car showed up in the app (I now have three Teslas in the app, two Model 3s and the Model Y, although need to sell my 3). I spent some time going through the various settings in the UI to set things up as I liked, then drove off. Piece of cake!

I have a service center appointment on the 8th to address the various issues, although I know they won't be able to take care of the paint there, so I'm sure they will then refer me to a body shop. I have a mobile service appointment for them to install the Homelink kit. Was supposed to be tomorrow, but they have now rescheduled it for next week.

Now that I've had more time to drive the car, the "buffeting" issue is bothering me enough that if Tesla cannot fix it, I don't want the car. I haven't tried adjusting the hatch stops yet, but I will play with that tomorrow some. It's worse at lower speeds versus highway speeds. Didn't experience this with with the MYP I test drove, so I'm hoping they can solve this issue. I wouldn't even consider taking a road trip in the car as long as it has this issue.

Oh, and this morning I noticed this:

sad_tire_is_sad.jpg

This is one of the rear tires. Needless to say, I'm not very happy about that! Going to take it to Discount Tire in the morning to see if they can repair it. The car only had 13 miles on it upon delivery, so I'm assuming it wasn't there when I got the car. No way to know for sure, of course. It's still holding air at the moment.

My new MYP has this exact same inset. The Tesla Mobile Service guy who came Tuesday to install the Homelink was an 8 year veteran at Tesla, making him one of the most senior service guys around. He said he had not seen much of this issue, but said it would be a difficult issue to rectify because there are some studs and shims inside that door that establish this attachment point for the handle mechanism. He may have said these were welded in place - I don't recall the attachment method. I would be interested in how your service people respond.
Well, that's not encouraging. So, assuming the mobile tech didn't do anything about it, what's your next course of action? Have you scheduled an appointment at a service center (assuming you have any near you)? Not going to be terribly happy if they cannot fix this, as it's pretty obvious when you look at it. Good thing Tesla inspects their cars before sending them out into the world! They better not tell me it's "within spec".

They can always replace the whole door! ;)

My delivery was originally supposed to be at the Austin service center, but the day before I got an email stating the delivery would be at the Gateway Church parking lot two blocks down from the service center. I visited the Austin service center yesterday and that parking lot was ridiculous and hard to navigate with Tesla's parked and double-parked absolutely everywhere. I'd be surprised if they are actually doing any deliveries there right now.

When we arrived at the Gateway Church lot, I pulled in, drove around for a short bit (looking for my car), and then a Tesla employee pointed me to a vertical flag where someone was stationed for deliveries. That individual pointed me to the car (it was close, and had my name on a sheet of paper hanging from the rear view mirror) and gave me the key cards so I could get into the vehicle. He said we could take as long as we wanted to inspect the car. I did have a printed checklist with me, and casually walked around the car several times looking at everything and spent some time inside as well. I pointed out a few things (such as that paint defect) to the Tesla employee and he then explained I could report these issues with the Tesla app and that I should do so before I drive 100 miles. And said to make sure you take photos, which are timestamped and also tied to the current mileage of the vehicle.

To actually take delivery, I had to sign my name on his phone, then log out and back into the Tesla app and the new car showed up in the app (I now have three Teslas in the app, two Model 3s and the Model Y, although need to sell my 3). I spent some time going through the various settings in the UI to set things up as I liked, then drove off. Piece of cake!

I have a service center appointment on the 8th to address the various issues, although I know they won't be able to take care of the paint there, so I'm sure they will then refer me to a body shop. I have a mobile service appointment for them to install the Homelink kit. Was supposed to be tomorrow, but they have now rescheduled it for next week.

Now that I've had more time to drive the car, the "buffeting" issue is bothering me enough that if Tesla cannot fix it, I don't want the car. I haven't tried adjusting the hatch stops yet, but I will play with that tomorrow some. It's worse at lower speeds versus highway speeds. Didn't experience this with with the MYP I test drove, so I'm hoping they can solve this issue. I wouldn't even consider taking a road trip in the car as long as it has this issue.

Oh, and this morning I noticed this:

View attachment 648002

This is one of the rear tires. Needless to say, I'm not very happy about that! Going to take it to Discount Tire in the morning to see if they can repair it. The car only had 13 miles on it upon delivery, so I'm assuming it wasn't there when I got the car. No way to know for sure, of course. It's still holding air at the moment.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write that up and sorry about your issues...

I wonder if your "buffeting" is the same issue described here, and I wonder if it can be attributed to differences in software or hardware.

Well, that's not encouraging. So, assuming the mobile tech didn't do anything about it, what's your next course of action? Have you scheduled an appointment at a service center (assuming you have any near you)? Not going to be terribly happy if they cannot fix this, as it's pretty obvious when you look at it. Good thing Tesla inspects their cars before sending them out into the world! They better not tell me it's "within spec".

They can always replace the whole door! ;)
I agree it's noticeable to me, but in all the rides and walkarounds I've been doing with people, no one else has noticed. I'm kind of on the other end of that spectrum. Messing around inside doors is pretty invasive work, as I recall from my old car-stereo junkie days. It can often lead to rattles and other problems. My view is that if it's not easy to repair, I'd rather leave it and not create new issues. However, the other delivery issue I have is a paint problem on the hood near the wipers that will require re-finishing, which is scheduled to be done April 12th, so I'll ask the Tesla body shop about it then.

I've been in the same boat as a lot. Ordered 03/17:

• Long Range All-Wheel Drive
  • Pearl White Paint
  • 19’’ Gemini Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Autopilot
Each day my delivery date moves on to the next, started as 03/21 -- 03/31 and is up to 03/27 -- 03/31 now

I've been in the same boat as a lot. Ordered 03/17:

• Long Range All-Wheel Drive
  • Pearl White Paint
  • 19’’ Gemini Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Autopilot
Each day my delivery date moves on to the next, started as 03/21 -- 03/31 and is up to 03/27 -- 03/31 now
I ordered the 19th and for most of the week it did the same thing of shrinking a day.
Totally I now says 2 weeks from order date :-/

Took delivery today of my Blue/White MYP (3/26; ordered on 1/18). Waaaay too many defects..I was honestly about to decline delivery but my hand was forced by the fact that I'd need to get a hotel and take the train home the next morning. All in all, Tesla said they'd fix it all, but now I have to drive 100 miles south next week to Santa Barbara to have the service department confirm the repairs, after which who knows where I'll need to take it (hopefully somewhere closer). Other than these issues, the car is absolutely ridiculous...If Tesla could get their *sugar* together and fix the QC issues, it'd push them to a whole other level.

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 54
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    387.6 KB · Views: 57
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    833.3 KB · Views: 56
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg