Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Solar Roof Install Near 90274?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to take a look at a recent install of the newer version of the Solar Roof (larger tiles, etc.) near zip code 90274. My HOA denied the application for my planned install based on the appearance of the new version. Setting aside that they are probably on shaky legal ground (my understanding is that California law prohibits HOAs from denying solar panels due to aesthetics) I need to decide how badly I want to fight them on this. Based on photos, the Solar Roof looks better to me than panels and it will be significantly cheaper since I'm also replacing my roof (and the same HOA insists on a particularly expensive fake shake roofing product).

Anyone near me (Palos Verdes Penisula or South Bay area of Los Angeles) that finished an install within the last 6 months? I don't need to come onto the property - assuming part of the roof is visible from the street. I just want to drive by quickly and maybe take a couple of pictures of the roof (I'll blur out any address info) to show the HOA.

Thanks for your help.

I need to decide how badly I want to fight them on this.
You could send the HOA board a copy of the legislation and let them figure out how much the fine is. That is what I did in 90254, not far from you. In my case they did not respond in the required time so I proceeded with the install. Once they read the code, their attitude changed for future requests. This was in 2014.

Here's an old thread about HOAs and solar in Texas... it seems Tesla used to have a department dedicated to this type of thing? Is Tesla now unable to help you push back against the HOA?

To clarify, part of the reason I want to see another install with the new Solar Roof is that the one new install they did "approve" in my city did not look good (IMHO, no offense intended if the homeowner in question happens to read this forum and deduces which home I'm talking about). I think that had to more to do with the style of the home (an older home with very complicated roof lines - and possibly some warped sheathing under some of the panels leading to a poor appearance). To their credit, they said they liked the original version of the Solar Roof but have concerns about the new version based on the appearance of that install. I'm fairly certain that if push-comes-to-shove the HOA will cave and allow the install. The law isn't on their side. I just want to be certain that I really want the Solar Roof installed before making the effort to force the issue.

To clarify, part of the reason I want to see another install with the new Solar Roof is that the one new install they did "approve" in my city did not look good (IMHO, no offense intended if the homeowner in question happens to read this forum and deduces which home I'm talking about). I think that had to more to do with the style of the home (an older home with very complicated roof lines - and possibly some warped sheathing under some of the panels leading to a poor appearance). To their credit, they said they liked the original version of the Solar Roof but have concerns about the new version based on the appearance of that install. I'm fairly certain that if push-comes-to-shove the HOA will cave and allow the install. The law isn't on their side. I just want to be certain that I really want the Solar Roof installed before making the effort to force the issue.

Yeah, I think the solar roof brings an aesthetic that adds extra consideration to a solar project.

For example, if you have Spanish tiles on your roof and have that style of architecture, the flat phong shading look of a Tesla Solar Roof will kind of clash with how the house looks. I can see why some people wouldn't want solar of any kind on the side of the house that faces the street.

But then you have other people that don't care about looks since they just hate opening up their PG&E or SCE bills and seeing mega charges. I have the ugliest style of solar panels (with the white lines and big-ol standoffs) facing the street. I'm amazed my HOA hasn't crapped on me yet heh.